“Over priced”

PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Tullamarine
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed in here recently with a late check in after a long international flight. Booked through a 3rd party web site for 2 adults and 1 child a room with a king bed. Our expectation being that there would be a pull out sofa provided in the room as per every other hotel we had ever stayed in. That was not the case as the guest service attendant indicated that there was an additional charge for a bed for our son. This meant that we had to either pay +$70 on top of the $250 that we had already paid for 1 nights accommodation or all sleep in the same bed. After reminding the GSA that we had already paid for to accommodate all 3 of us, he moved us into a room with 2 queens.
We then asked about breakfast and were told that it was $35 per person, which is outrageous.

The room was generally shabby with scuff marks all over the walls and all 6 pillows in the room
were hard. Overall you are paying for the convenience but there is no value for money. No free wifi in the rooms.

We had stayed here when it was still Hilton managed a few years ago which was a significantly better experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Craig S, General Manager at PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Dear B K,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.
I was pleased to read you appreciated our convenient location. I was however disappointed to hear that there were aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies; I can assure you that your experience is not of our usual standard. Rest assured I have noted your comments and will follow up with our team.
Thank you so much for proving your feedback and we hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport in the future.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Your choice of location is superb,it has POSITION,POSITION,POSITION.The choice of location is expensive and must be shared by guests using it for the convenience to the Airport for arrivals and departures.
Staff, facilities and service could not be faulted. They are the Q Q Q.( Quality, Quality, Quality )
My wife and I stayed overnight at the end of our holiday on our way home and we both thoroughly enjoyed our experience.
Will definitely stay there again, in life you can only expect the quality that you pay for we definitely had value for money.

Room Tip: South side is quiet with a wonderful view of the Airport.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear millie_m_co,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your recent stay.
I was pleased to read you and your wife enjoyed your stay with our superb location, quality hotel facilities and the service our staff provided.
I will certainly pass your positive comments onto the team.
We trust you had a wonderful holiday and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I did a one night stay here due to an overnight international flight connection.
It is convenient, but I would spend my money on a taxi to a city hotel next time. It is expensive and you don't even get free wifi unless you join their traveler program. The room was warm and the A/C was not running (winter time)

It does have lots of amenities and a big bar/restaurant which might be fin on a business trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Craig S, General Manager at PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear Dave-owen-srb,
Thank you for sharing your experience with your fellow travellers.
I was pleased to read that you appreciated our convenient location and hotel facilities. I was however disappointed to hear that there were aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies; I can assure you that your experience is not of our usual standard. Rest assured I have noted your comments and will follow up with our Engineering Department.
Guest reviews enable us to monitor our standards and we hope to be provided with another opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

The facts:
We were on the 6th (lowest accommodation) floor outside the elevator.

The noise from the corridor and other rooms above and around was surprisingly loud for such a modern hotel. I think the people above were running an illegal bowling-alley!! ;-) Surprisingly the nois from the aircraft wasn't too bad.

If you're a light sleeper, caution.

The restaurant was great and coffee superb (depends on the barista of course). I highly recommend the breakfast (they have a Breakfast deal if you book at the website).

If interested I have a few general tips below, resulting from a series of unfortunate events.

We arrived early and were offered a room. That was a very good start. Unfortunately the booking was for a King Room and while we're close we'd prefer a Twin / Double. Later that morning we were offered a Twin room. Nice room.
Next day we discovered 1) the Hotel had us leaving a day early and the "smart" fridge had registered that we'd used the mini-bar.
The issue with the departure date was traced back to a typographic error at the hotels reservation centre. The mini-bar usage I was told will be fixed before we leave today.

2 take-aways from this for me:
Always on check-in, verify when they think you're leaving and
Never trust a "smart" appliance.
Enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Stayon the top floor and request not to be near the elevator.

Dear GolfNutCanberra,
I was pleased to read you enjoyed breakfast and superb coffee from our restaurant. I will certainly pass on your positive comments to our Food & Beverage team.
I am obviously disappointed that there were aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies and rest assured that I will be following up on your comments.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I do not have anything in particular to say about Park Royal Melbourne hotel except that it was an ok experience. The staff were not particular warm or attentive but i make no issue about it. In any case, they were particularly busy the first night when several flights were cancelled.

The rooms are new and good. I wish they had better insulated the rooms from the jet noise but i will not say it is significant enough to affect your sleep.

If i had more time, I would move to the city as there isn't much to do here.

1  Thank ecSoviet
Craig S, General Manager at PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dear ecsoviet1984,
Thank you for choosing stay with us and taking the time to post your review.
I was disappointed to read that there were aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies; I can assure you that your experience is not of our usual standard. Rest assured I have noted your comments and will follow up with our Engineering Department.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Unlike most we stayed 2 nights here rather than the city as we arrived 11.30pm and flight 2days later was early morning.
Was given an option of an upgrade for second night in a corner room facing runway which had separate lounge and spa. Excellent with only occasional jet noise although we were out most of the day. First night facing back to the city was quieter

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aussiekiki

Dear Tigers4me,
Thank you for sharing your experience following your recent stay.
I was glad to read you’ve been well looked after by our team during your stay.
The team and I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I've stayed here twice over the last few months and it really is great. Location is obviously handy when you're flying but the hotel has some nice extra features that add to the comfort - eg I joined the club and got given free internet (always a bonus) plus free water. The bed is excellent - and I think that is the first requirement of a hotel so lots of points there, the shower is also great (the second must have!). The restaurant is pretty good so all round I recommend the ParkRoyal.

Room Tip: I like the runway view
1  Thank Marion D

Dear Marion D,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your great comments on Tripadvisor.
As a return guest, I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay including our convenient location and hotel facilities.
Once again, thank you for recommending us and we look forward to welcoming you back to PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport in the future.
Craig Syphers

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tullamarine
Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport
Ciloms Airport Lodge
#6 of 7 in Tullamarine
Quality Hotel Melbourne Airport
Best Western Airport Motel & Convention Centre

Been to PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport? Share your experiences!