“Modern, clean, but skip breakfast”

Mantra Tullamarine Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Tullamarine
Reviewed September 8, 2010

The accomodation was great, rooms are neither huge or tiny but clean and modern. Did not hear a single plane. Views of Melbourne if you get the right rooms. The dinner was excellent for airport accomodation but I was disgusted with breakfast. Had to wait 15 minutes to get my first coffee for the day while they refilled the urn, the eggs were powdered (or seemed that way) and none of the fresh cut fruit was ripe. If your buying off the web, I would recommend this place, but not with the breakfast option. I'd prefer to eat breakfast at McD's (and I hate McD's) or the airport. Also they charge you $15 to park your car yourself in the attached car park, only they don't tell you that it's on the roof exposed to elements. You might as well park on the street for free.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank grouptour
Mantratulla, General Manager at Mantra Tullamarine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2010

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted we met your expectations with the exception of breakfast service.

I have noted your comments and will discuss with the F&B team and implement some corrective measures.

Thank you again for bring this to our attention
kind regards

Reviewed August 30, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for one night before traveling overseas on an early morning flight.
I checked in at 4pm and out again at 7am the next morning. I can't comment on the hotel facilities as I stayed in my room the whole time.
I found the room to be clean, spacious and modern. A full length mirror would have been good. My only issue was that the walls seemed to be rather thin. When I was trying to get to sleep I could hear the guests in the room next door using the sink and the shower, the noise of the running water was quite loud. I also could hear them flick the light switches and their television when it was on. A bit frustrating when you know you have to get up early!
I also thought the mini bar was lacking, it only had two bottles of water and two of beer and a chocolate bar. Plus the fridge hummed loudly for about 5 minutes every time you shut it. Not such a biggie if you're not having trouble falling asleep! Great service to the airport on their complimentary shuttle.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank jjacq
Reviewed August 27, 2010

The rooms are lovely, but alot of the staff really lack a passion for their customer service jobs. We found quite a few staff members unable to understand us and felt to be "in the way"of quite a few others. The dining was underwhelming. Being a vegetarian, I had ONE dish to choose from...ONE. I stayed here for two nights and was unable to travel elsewhere, so had to eat the same dish again. A 4.5 star hotel needs to have a wider menu and a menu that caters for people who don't eat meat.

I was also quite disappointed with the foxtel package. Sadly it was only fox 8 and three sport channels. I don't want sport channels, alot of people don't want sport channels.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MelbSheep
Mantratulla, General Manager at Mantra Tullamarine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2010

Dear Sir/madam,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I regret the shortcomings in service. I have personally taken up with each department the points you have raised and corrective measures have been implemented. I have also noted your comment re the menu and the limited choices of vegitarian meals. We will soon be introducing our Spring menu and this will be addressed.

Thank you again for your constructive comments.

Reviewed July 31, 2010

I stayed at the Mantra Tullamarine Hotel for the night of July 21, 2010 (room #827). I have read various Guest Reports on the Mantra and there seems to be quite a disparity of opinion. I think that some guests have higher expectations than they should have regarding this property.

As an international hotel developer I should point out that the Hotel Star rating system is based on FACILITIES that the hotel offers and has nothing to do with perceived Guest Comfort or staff performance.

As regards the Mantra Tullamarine, the company website describes a 4.5 star property. In the most reputed Australian star rating organisation, StarRatingAustralia, there is no such thing. It is either 4 OR 5! In this system, the facilities offered at the Mantra DO qualify this hotel property for a 4 star rating. Some reviewers have complained that there is no porter or health club/gym etc. These facilities are only required at 5 star level in Australia.

However, guest experience is another matter entirely. The lobby / reception / restaurant interior design is bland, cold and boring. Some may call it minimalist but there is no atmosphere of Welcome whatsoever. I’ve seen hospital Receptions and Canteens that are more appealing. Check-in was fast and efficient taking less than 1 minute (good for the tired business traveller) but, again, no real warmth or welcome... very mechanical with a “switch on/off” smile.

The lift (elevator) interiors are verging on “nasty” and the guest room corridors are much in need of refurbishment with old-looking and boring carpets, stains on the walls and lighting that, again, reminds me of a hospital. No relaxing atmosphere at all.

The standard guest room that I stayed in was an improvement on the standard of the public areas. The interior decor was a combination of black & white with shades of grey... neither exciting nor relaxing. However, it was well maintained and very clean. All the facilities that are normally required were present: Tea & Coffee prep, desk with good chair, comfortable single seater, good lighting, luggage rack, alarm clock, etc. The reasonable quality flat screen TV was well mounted at the right height and easy to operate but the channel package was extremely limited for the international travel guest... no free movies and only Australian TV programming apart from CNN.

However, I draw attention to the excellent king-size bed which was extremely comfortable. I probably spend an average of 100 nights a year in hotels all over the world and the Mantra bed is certainly in my top 5 this year. I slept very well and was reluctant to get out of it in the morning.

The bathroom was on the small side and quite basic in fitted furniture. However, the maxi-shower was very good with loads of hot water at a good strong pressure. Watch out for the hotel-provided soap tablets.... very sharp edges and corners! Good towels for this level of hotel.

Room service menu is VERY disappointing after 10 pm. Basically snacks. For those travellers on late flights, DON’T expect a nice comforting dinner as the restaurant also closes far too early for an airport hotel. Luckily I was saved by a charming and professional restaurant staff member who saw my obvious disappointment at the fact of no dinner, chased after me and offered me a delayed-flight buffet which was basic and limited but certainly sufficient at that time of the night. MANY THANKS ALICIA!!

Buffet Breakfast in the restaurant was limited re choice but what was on offer was very well prepared. The full “Australian” breakfast (hot cooked) was a very good start to a busy day.

At reception in the morning, the cool professional efficiency was repeated so no issues there apart from the lack of a genuine smile and an interest in whether I had a good stay or not.

In summary, as several fellow reviewers have suggested, the Mantra Tullamarine in its current format is probably great as a short-stay transit hotel. I cannot really see it as a “get-away” or holiday property. For a longer stay (3+ nights) I would probably pay the extra A$50 and stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Broaders

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback. I have taken all your comments on board and will share this with the respective persons, particularly those comments on the interior design, furniturings & fixtures.

Thank you for your positive comments on the cleanliness and guest service, i have shared this with the relevant departments. I have also noted your comments re the menu selection particularly for late night dinning and corrective measures will be implemented.

Rest assured your comments have been taken constructively and corrective measures will be implemented. We hope to be of service in the future.

Reviewed July 30, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Mantra Tullamarine overnight and could not fault the friendliness of the staff nor the service they provided.Jade was the shift manager. She could not have been more friendly or helpful.
I appreciate the fact that i was contacted regarding the questionaire I filled out. Shows they do read what we say.

My theory is that there is karma. Treat people as you would like to be treated yourself.
We will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Mantra Tullamarine on your recent visit to this area. I am pleased we met your expectations and you enjoyed your stay.

We hope we can be of service in the future.

Reviewed July 30, 2010

I arrived at Mantra Tullamarine after a delayed flight and a botched booking at the major 5 star hotel adjacent to Melbourne Airport. The check in counter was extremely busy but the staff member who checked me in was an absolute star. My room was very comfortable, modern and clean. I would definitely choose Mantra Tullamarine again for my next stopover.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your positive comments, I am please we met your expectations. We hope we can be of service to you in the future when you next visit this area.
kind regards

Reviewed July 29, 2010

This hotel is over rated. It is at best a 3 star hotel.
We stayed here twice, for one night each time.
The staff are rude, condescending and didn't look at me when they spoke to me.
There was never any question of them helping us with our luggage. We could tell from their attitude that it wasn't even worthwhile asking them if they had a trolley for us to use.
Also, there were other guests struggling with their luggage.
The room we stayed in was very small.
The bed sagged in the middle. The worst sagged bed I have slept in, in my entire life.
The air conditioner was noisy.
The bar service is so slow I gave up trying to get a drink at one stage.
We had tried to get a drink when the restaurant said it would be 10 minutes before we could get a table but then we saw other people being let into the restaurant who had arrived after us.
The restaurrant service is very slow, we had to rind the staff that we had not yet given our food order and they forgot my drink order.
Our meals arrived at different times and wasn't cooked as requested.

I think the staff at this hotel do not need to try hard because the guests normally stay for one night only.
It is close to the airport, so they get a regular stream of guests even with their poor customer service.
But there are other hotels nearby and I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Beachly

Dear Sir/Madam

It disappoints me to learn that you encountered a number of service issues during your stay. To assist me further in investigating these matters, I invite you to contact me directly to discuss in more detail and then I can address these issues accordingly. I look forward to hearing from you. I can be contacted by phone on 03 90936501 or via e-mail on rufus.pereira@mantra.com.au

Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tullamarine
Quest Melbourne Airport
PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport
Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport
Quality Hotel Melbourne Airport
Hyatt Place Melbourne, Essendon Fields

Been to Mantra Tullamarine Hotel? Share your experiences!