“Close to airport and freeway with great service as a bonus.”

Mantra Tullamarine Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Tullamarine
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Spent 6 nights between Xmas and new year. Deluxe room was spotless with lovely spa bath. Bed was so comfortable, just like being home. The staff were super friendly and breakfast was great, always fresh, hot and plentiful. We requested a quiet room away from the noise of elevators and this was not a problem. This was our 3rd stay here. Would highly recommend it for overnight stays from Melbourne airport or just as an alternative to expensive city hotels. Freeway is close by for easy access if you are driving anywhere as we did.
Courtesy bus to airport is also provided.

• Stayed: December 2011
Mantratulla, General Manager at Mantra Tullamarine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2012

Thank you for rating us so high. I am pleased we met your expectations and you had a pleasant stay. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you again when next in this area.

There are newer reviews for Mantra Tullamarine Hotel

Reviewed December 20, 2011

Seriously the rooms are fine, but the charges are way overpriced. Th only thing I disliked about the room was that there is no kitchen there. Also, there are no shops or restaurants recommended close-by. I was very disappointed with the rooms as for the amount of money spent would be a little fancier, which it was not. Those rooms seriously look like youth hostels to me or cheap apartments which young people rent for long period of time. I found no laundry bags or shoe bags around to take home to use. Also, I had a good bath; though seems that it is QUITE old and needs modern updating. I was disappointed there were no electric blankets or anything to keep you warm provided in the room. Don't kid me with the amount of the space you couldn't fit a small lounge room too.

I did not enjoy the restaurant service either. There were no meals which told me 'eat me.' I found the choice very plain and boring. I would prefer it if the restaurant actually operated a good restaurant with a variety of cuisine choices......New food to try out for customers. I found the meals very English and not great.

I can also recommend your hotel to have a much bigger lift for the baggages especially if it's near an airport, you can expect a family to be carrying quite a lot of things in the baggage. I was quite disappointed with the lifts especially as they had very little space in it.

Also, at the drink bar it was not lively, young and crowded. I thought some of the drinks were overpriced and if you had guests you had to pay for it. It would be good if at the bar, the tapas/nibbles were free with the drinks.

Staff members are not willingly to take up the luggage up to your room, which I was also disappointed about; considering it's supposed to be best hotel next to airport. I would also love to see pets be allowed in the building. I have a pet cat and she's very quiet and we had trouble finding accommodation for her......

Room Tip: Make sure you grab the nice plane or city views, as this is what this hotel offers. Also, I recomm...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Mantratulla, General Manager at Mantra Tullamarine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us. I am sorry you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mantra Tullamarine Hotel should you have a reason to stay in this region

Reviewed December 13, 2011

In November I had a stopover in Melbourne and needed a place to stay near the airport for an early departure. I had booked something cheaper but a colleague cancelled his trip and generously passed me his pre-paid booking.

The hotel is a short taxi ride (less than 15 minutes) from Melbourne Tullamarine airport (there are also paid shuttles to it) and it is located in an industrial area of the city. The rooms are nice (although not luxurious), very clean and quiet and of appropriate size.

My main issue is that once I was in the hotel I was—using a previous reviewer's words—captive audience. Absolutely everything is extra to the room charges and there are no realistic options (say for eating out) because one is in the middle of nowhere. Internet was intermittent and overpriced.

Staff were not particularly friendly but they were very efficient at check out time.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank zentree
Mantratulla, General Manager at Mantra Tullamarine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2011

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mantra Tullamarine Hotel again soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed December 11, 2011

Lovely room, beautifully clean and quite spacious. Helpful and friendly staff - were able to check in early. Massive comfortable bed. We had the best couple of nights sleep in years. Peaceful and quiet. Parking arrangements were convenient and reasonably priced compared to some hotels. We booked a special offer through the hotel's own website, which was excellent value for money. Would definitely stay again and recommend.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

I was disappointed to read your comments on the initial reception you received when you first arrived and offer my personal apology. I have personally met with the respective Team member and counselled him on the appropriate greeting; rest assured corrective measures are now in place.

Reviewed December 2, 2011

I arrived at Mantra Tullamarine Hotel around 1130am on the 2nd December 2011.Check-in time wasn't until 2pm but I thought I'd ask if my room was ready as you never quite now unless you asked. I wasn't greeted by reception staff, no smile. I quite simply asked them the question as It seemed like they didn't want to know or care about me. When asking a young tall guy at reception he told me that my room wasn't available yet and it would be an hour wait. He placed my bags behind the desk in a lock-up room.
Reception staff are lacking manners there was no sorry, or could we help you with anything else, no greeting either which was a shame really...
I sat down on a couch and reed a magazine, staff passed me and not one asked if I was of need of any assistance, no-one asked if I would like a drink as I was sitting quite close to the bar area.
There was some sort of conference or function happening, where I noticed the staff where more than happy to leave the reception area and go down towards those rooms. There was also a young girl at the reception who took guests in the Mantra shuttle to the airport. It had been just after an hour and both reception staff were no longer there except for this other guy he was very nice had such an unusually name, I asked him about my room he checked and said it would be a further 10-15 minutes wait, told me the hotel had been fully booked the night before and it shouldn't be too long, He asked if I had filled in any paperwork and I said no - he asked for my email address and signature along with my credit card after he put it through he asked if I wanted a coffee and I said no thanks and sat back down.
The Young guy had returned from taking another lot of guests to the airport via the shuttle, after a few seconds the lovely guy took myself and my bags up to my room. Which was very lovely, I felt as if someone actually cared about me...

I settled into my room, it was located on level 8 room 823 in an executive studio, plenty of room very nice fittings and decor`. The room had a wardrobe, ironing board, iron, extra pillows and a blanket. Plenty of lighting throughout, a mirror next to the sliding door of the bathroom always a nice touch especially for us women. Bathroom was nicely decked out with marble from floor to ceiling, hairdryer, tissues, power points, plenty of soft towels, another mirror and plenty of space around and on top of the basin.
I'm quite a tall woman and sitting on the toilet there wasn't much room from my knees to the start of the shower, but it's okay as we're never on the toilet 24/7. The shower was quite large, could easily fit 2 people in it comfortably, floor to ceiling glass, nice shower head and very hot water which I enjoy. Although there was a slight gap between the glass and the door hinge a bit of water leaked out but it couldn't be helped, drainage was good also.
The king size bed was so soft, pillows were great (heavy through) to pick up but comfortable for me to sleep on, air-conditioner worked well and got the room cooled in no time. There was a little sofa type chair in the corner next to a small table just underneath the window, alarm clock but no actual mini hi-fi system I love listening to music and was glad to have my iPhone with me so I could still listen to music. Window was a reasonable size for the room, over looked the front of the hotel, houses, fields, parks, the highway was in the distance but couldn't hear any noise outside which was great, at night it was lovely all the lights. The blinds were great kept all the lighting out, as I get the best nights sleep if my room is pitch black. Room had plenty of storage for longer stays, 2 telephones, Internet connection (fees) desk, chair, lamp, coffee and sugar but no hot chocolate, kettle, mini-bar (fees* mars bar $4, bottle of water $4 and Crown Lager $7.50). I also ordered room service - Tuscan Chicken Burger $24 and a bowl of chips with aioli $10 (which I didn't eat as the burger came with chips but it wasn't listed on the menu aioli tasted like a scoop of garlic which wasn't very nice.
I also ordered dessert - Warm apple pie with cinnamon ice-cream $18 and a hot chocolate with skim milk, very nice!
Otherwise very nice, I had stayed in a previous Mantra in the CBD of Melbourne and was very unhappy with my room, but the hotel manager gave me a nights refund and an apology so I was a bit scared to come here after that had happened, reception and staff in general need to smile and greet guests and help where needed.

Overall it was a lovely hotel and with complimentary late check-out of 12pm I couldn't be more happy!!!
Room was booked on: www.mantra.com.au and I paid $169

Room Tip: High floor for views, if you like planes that much you can ask for a room facing towards the airport...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Our first impression was .......Sterile looking....lacking character.
However the rooms were large and clean and minamalistically decorated..
We had a large comfortable king sized bed in the room we were asigned. It was amazingly quiet and we had a very restfull nights sleep prior to our international flight.
The Service was good, staff were friendly and informative. Checking in and out was quick and easy.
The hotel is close to the airport and also has as its own shuttle bus.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 10, 2011

We stayed her one night as had a very early morning flight. Transport to the hotel was very easy walked out of the airport and caught the long stay car park bus so had no issues.
Checking was very easy staff very friendly.
Room was very clean and bathroom and shower was good.
Would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't catch a cab to the hotel the long stay car park bus will get you too the front door and re...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tullamarine
Quest Melbourne Airport
Ciloms Airport Lodge
#6 of 7 in Tullamarine
Quality Hotel Melbourne Airport
Best Western Airport Motel & Convention Centre

Been to Mantra Tullamarine Hotel? Share your experiences!