“Very nice hotel”

Mantra Tullamarine Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Tullamarine
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I arrived at Mantra Tullamarine Hotel around 1130am on the 2nd December 2011.Check-in time wasn't until 2pm but I thought I'd ask if my room was ready as you never quite now unless you asked. I wasn't greeted by reception staff, no smile. I quite simply asked them the question as It seemed like they didn't want to know or care about me. When asking a young tall guy at reception he told me that my room wasn't available yet and it would be an hour wait. He placed my bags behind the desk in a lock-up room.
Reception staff are lacking manners there was no sorry, or could we help you with anything else, no greeting either which was a shame really...
I sat down on a couch and reed a magazine, staff passed me and not one asked if I was of need of any assistance, no-one asked if I would like a drink as I was sitting quite close to the bar area.
There was some sort of conference or function happening, where I noticed the staff where more than happy to leave the reception area and go down towards those rooms. There was also a young girl at the reception who took guests in the Mantra shuttle to the airport. It had been just after an hour and both reception staff were no longer there except for this other guy he was very nice had such an unusually name, I asked him about my room he checked and said it would be a further 10-15 minutes wait, told me the hotel had been fully booked the night before and it shouldn't be too long, He asked if I had filled in any paperwork and I said no - he asked for my email address and signature along with my credit card after he put it through he asked if I wanted a coffee and I said no thanks and sat back down.
The Young guy had returned from taking another lot of guests to the airport via the shuttle, after a few seconds the lovely guy took myself and my bags up to my room. Which was very lovely, I felt as if someone actually cared about me...

I settled into my room, it was located on level 8 room 823 in an executive studio, plenty of room very nice fittings and decor`. The room had a wardrobe, ironing board, iron, extra pillows and a blanket. Plenty of lighting throughout, a mirror next to the sliding door of the bathroom always a nice touch especially for us women. Bathroom was nicely decked out with marble from floor to ceiling, hairdryer, tissues, power points, plenty of soft towels, another mirror and plenty of space around and on top of the basin.
I'm quite a tall woman and sitting on the toilet there wasn't much room from my knees to the start of the shower, but it's okay as we're never on the toilet 24/7. The shower was quite large, could easily fit 2 people in it comfortably, floor to ceiling glass, nice shower head and very hot water which I enjoy. Although there was a slight gap between the glass and the door hinge a bit of water leaked out but it couldn't be helped, drainage was good also.
The king size bed was so soft, pillows were great (heavy through) to pick up but comfortable for me to sleep on, air-conditioner worked well and got the room cooled in no time. There was a little sofa type chair in the corner next to a small table just underneath the window, alarm clock but no actual mini hi-fi system I love listening to music and was glad to have my iPhone with me so I could still listen to music. Window was a reasonable size for the room, over looked the front of the hotel, houses, fields, parks, the highway was in the distance but couldn't hear any noise outside which was great, at night it was lovely all the lights. The blinds were great kept all the lighting out, as I get the best nights sleep if my room is pitch black. Room had plenty of storage for longer stays, 2 telephones, Internet connection (fees) desk, chair, lamp, coffee and sugar but no hot chocolate, kettle, mini-bar (fees* mars bar $4, bottle of water $4 and Crown Lager $7.50). I also ordered room service - Tuscan Chicken Burger $24 and a bowl of chips with aioli $10 (which I didn't eat as the burger came with chips but it wasn't listed on the menu aioli tasted like a scoop of garlic which wasn't very nice.
I also ordered dessert - Warm apple pie with cinnamon ice-cream $18 and a hot chocolate with skim milk, very nice!
Otherwise very nice, I had stayed in a previous Mantra in the CBD of Melbourne and was very unhappy with my room, but the hotel manager gave me a nights refund and an apology so I was a bit scared to come here after that had happened, reception and staff in general need to smile and greet guests and help where needed.

Overall it was a lovely hotel and with complimentary late check-out of 12pm I couldn't be more happy!!!
Room was booked on: www.mantra.com.au and I paid $169

Room Tip: High floor for views, if you like planes that much you can ask for a room facing towards the airport...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Sarah B

Reviewed December 1, 2011

Our first impression was .......Sterile looking....lacking character.
However the rooms were large and clean and minamalistically decorated..
We had a large comfortable king sized bed in the room we were asigned. It was amazingly quiet and we had a very restfull nights sleep prior to our international flight.
The Service was good, staff were friendly and informative. Checking in and out was quick and easy.
The hotel is close to the airport and also has as its own shuttle bus.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Mantratulla, General Manager at Mantra Tullamarine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 10, 2011

We stayed her one night as had a very early morning flight. Transport to the hotel was very easy walked out of the airport and caught the long stay car park bus so had no issues.
Checking was very easy staff very friendly.
Room was very clean and bathroom and shower was good.
Would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't catch a cab to the hotel the long stay car park bus will get you too the front door and re...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2011

We stayed here for one night in whilst we were in transit.
There is nothing wrong with the hotel and the rooms are lovely and clean. However, it shares a problem with many other businesses that have a monopoly and charges as much as the market will bear.
The meals in the restaurant are reasonable but the prices are over the top when compared to an equivalent pub meal.

The service was good and the staff were friendly.
It would be a very good hotel if the prices were comparable to similar establishments in other areas.
Having said that, it is still cheaper than some other airport hotels around Tullamarine.

Room Tip: Avoid staying near airports!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2011

A warm welcome by every staff member whose path we crossed. We stayed compliments Mr Joyce and Qantas and clearly the hotel had been caught off guard. They were very busy but all of the staff still had a smile.
Clean spacious room with very comfortable king sized bed.
The shower was a bit of a worry. It had a water saving head. Would hate to have to wash my hair under it.
The buffet breakfast was terrific. Lots to choose from including fresh fruit.
Would recommend if you need a hotel close to Tullamarine.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank caramellokoala
Mantratulla, General Manager at Mantra Tullamarine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive feedback, I am please we met your expectations albeit under difficult circumstances. We hope we will have the pleasure to serve you again under different circumstances should you happen to visit this region again. Hope to see you soon
kind regards

Reviewed October 27, 2011

It's a practical hotel. Close to the airport, close to various professional offices. It's a good central spot for training, corporate get togethers and the like but there is very little else in the area so certainly not a tourist destination.
Only issue was the staff at breakfast not paying attention to what had run out. Had to ask for sugar, the coffee is woeful, (ask for a latte' or similar, they will make it for you), ran out of various cooked breakfast buffet stuff and none around for a while. All just little things but still count. Rooms were great, very clean and well appointed. Check the bill. A heap of mini bar stuff appeared on there for me that wasn't there in the first place. Reception were very good about it when sorting that out. I suspect the problem isn't there but further upstairs.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your constructive feedback. I have taken on board the various service issues mentioned and rest assured corrective measures will be implemented.
We hope we have the previlage to serve you again should you require accommodation in the future.
Thank you again and hope we see you soon

Reviewed October 17, 2011

Stayed one night before flight to Cairns.
Lovely rooms, the breakfast was great, only a short distant to airport.
Got a good deal at the time. Would only book if on deals other wise could be a bit
expensive just for a bed.

Room Tip: All rooms a good only need a studio if staying one night
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write this comment. I am pleased we met your expectations and you did have a pleasant stay. We hope we get the opportunity to serve you again.

Rufus Pereira

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tullamarine
Quest Melbourne Airport
#6 of 7 in Tullamarine
Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport
Quality Hotel Melbourne Airport
Hyatt Place Melbourne, Essendon Fields

Been to Mantra Tullamarine Hotel? Share your experiences!