“3 day riding 2013”

Bogong Horseback Adventures
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Tawonga
More attraction details
Owner description: Featuring horse riding holidays in the spectacular Australian High Country of North East Victoria. Combining great horses with the natural splendor of the Bogongs, we have operated our award winning rides for over 20 years. From two hour trail rides to multi day pack horse expeditions into the Alpine National Park.
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We are 2 adults who did the 3 days of riding, 2 nights camping. It was the most rewarding and memorable holiday we have ever had ( and we have holidayed all over the world ). Adventurous and remote in the most enchanting mountains. The staff and Baird family were not only incredibly knowledgable and professional but welcomed us like family with the generous hospitality they showed us. The countryside was amazing and the the camping out experience was incredibly comfortable but also very traditional with swags and campfires and billy tea etc..The food was plentiful and delicious. Neither of us had ridden recently. With the amazing and thoroughly well trained horses and guidance of the staff we were in very capable hands and managed the ride well despite it being totally exhausting. Don't underestimate the effort it takes to ride 6-7 hours plus a day with few breaks except for lunch. The majority of our group were extremely exhausted at the end of this 3 day ride where we did have quite warm weather. I would say unless you are a regular and very experienced rider the 3 day riding trip is only for quite resilient and fit people as it is very challenging. We had not been told that the accommodation ( which is in progress and looks very impressive), is not yet built and we were put up at the local hotel the first and last nights where we had to organise our own dinner and a breakfast on checkout. Check this before you go. Be aware that all the mountains except for Bogong have been burnt out with fires so the landscape before the high plains is predominately burnt grey old tall trees with only a few visible old snow gums surviving- so very eerie and many old grey logs and sticks to avoid on the trails. Hot tip- take skins for under your jeans and wear a camera case on your belt for easy access while riding as otherwise you won't get many photos as there are not many stops during the day. We would recommend this if you are adventurous and fit and we will definitely return to ride another mountain. Although we live in the countryside were very sad to leave this mountain way of life behind.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

This was the most amazing holiday I have ever been on, and I am most certainly signing up for another ride later in the year. I went with my 65 yo mother and my sister, and we had beautiful horses, wonderful hosts, an amazing group of guests, and some of the most scenic locations you can hope to find in Australia. It was like a little taste of Survivor (on horseback) only you got gourmet meals cooked for you, real brewed coffee to drink on breaks, amazing home grown/baked produce, and wine/beer every night as well! It was difficult settling back into the reality of home life when it all ended, but I have some lovely memories and learned a lot about natural horsemanship, rolling swags, whittling down your belongings to fit them into saddle bags, and taking photos over your shoulder whilst riding mountain paths! My tips for the ride are to wear Joddies or skins under your jeans, take some hand sanitiser and lots of sunblock, and a microfibre towel as the normal ones are too large to fold into your saddle bags. Also a must are a sense of humour, a willingness to help out (it makes the experience more satisfying and enjoyable) and lots of wet wipes! My compliments to the Baird family for a totally awesome experience!

1  Thank Rose D
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We had a group of 8 friends do the half-day ride at Falls Creek and it was amazing! Daisy and the gang who run BHA were professional and welcoming and it was evident from the moment we arrived how much they loved and respected the horses. We had a variety of riding experience within our group, and all of us felt extremely comfortable with the horses we were given to ride and the amount of support provided by the leaders. The girls from BHA made sure we got the most out of our day and led us through amazing untouched country-side, and we even saw some wild brumbys! We all left very happy with our afternoon, and I feel lucky that I have had this amazing experience!

Reviewed January 3, 2013

A fabulous week of adventure with Bogong Horse riding Adventure (BHA). LEAVE TECHNOLOGY AT HOME, My husband and I did this trip for our Xmas break and loved seeing the New Year in under the stars. BHA supplied everything we wanted in a holiday including excellent food, entertainment (campfire chats) and adventure ( horse riding ) in the mountains of the Alpine region. Fantastic crew, met some great people and all the horses were gorgeous, including the pack mule, George. A great trip for those who want real experiences and love sleeping under the stars! Recommend basic horse skills however the horses cater for all riders. Jodhpurs or skins under riding jeans a must. Necessary items to take... Hand sanitisers, your guitar, small camera and your sense of humour. The Baird family will take care of the rest. Thanks again to Lin, Nils, Mike (no mobile mike) and V.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I would not have done this had it not been for my daughter organising a work Christmas function,
I got roped in to go, and as I had no past horse riding experience I was a little reserved.
We had a two hour drive before the 8.30 start, it poured rain as we got closer, but cleared just as we arrived.
The people were friendly, and the horse's looked healthy and happy.
I was matched up with "Wooly Butt", he was a huge horse, way more horse than I thought I would start with, I was assured he was a gentle giant. Clay gave us a comprehensive run down on what we needed to know, we had a little practice and then headed off.
The ride started at a nice slow pace and Wooly and I got to know each other better, it was quite amazing going from no horse riding experience to doing all the different things we did, I have never been a horse person, but I really did enjoy this ride, I think everyone in the group(about fifteen) did, and I am pretty sure I will be back again requesting Wooly as my horse.
So a ride you just have to do, but stay for lunch, it is truly amazing and well worth the little extra.
We had a perfect day and felt really looked after by Clay, his family and crew.