“Great place but a bit overpriced”

Japanese Mountain Retreat Mineral Springs & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Montrose B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Great place but a bit overpriced”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My partner and I had a stay at the Japanese Mountain Retreat in August. The place was beautiful and the mineral hot spring was awesome. I have to mention that the bed is so comfortable and we even asked the owner where to purchase it. Everything was just perfect and we really enjoyed our stay.

However we still feel it is overpriced. As compared to other luxury accommodations we have stayed, we think this place is a bit too expensive for what it can provide.

We still enjoyed the stay and it was a pleasant experience but will not come back for this price again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank YJOG
Deborah Q, Owner at Japanese Mountain Retreat Mineral Springs & Spa, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thankyou for taking the time to write a review.

I think you must be commenting on the Balinese Retreat which is located on the same property as Japanese Mountain Retreat Mineral Springs and Spa as it has the bed you mention.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay.

The price of the retreat reflects that fact that this is a boutique retreat comprising of ONE Balinese Villa which sleeps one couple only per night and has extensive grounds which are expensive to maintain.

Deborah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is one of the best places that I have ever stayed, the people and service were absolutely amazing. I was only here for a night 21/09/2012, but I wish I could have stayed for the whole weekend. Right from the very beginning we were swept away by the beautiful landscape and attention to detail with their room set up and Japanese cuisine. The hotspring was one of the biggest surprises I think we had, we did not expect to have our own private bath set up with japanese style rocks, clear blue water and a bottle of mineral water. The night time atmosphere had really completed the romantic setting. I will definietly come back here every chance I get, only thing I regret is not getting a chance to get one of their spa treatments. No doubt, you MUST COME HERE!

Room Tip: There are only three rooms availble which makes you feel like you own the entire restort. We stayed...
1 Thank Jacinta M
Deborah Q, Owner at Japanese Mountain Retreat Mineral Springs & Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Jacinta,

Thank you for your review. We are very glad the service and total experience met your expectations. The whole team at Japanese Mountain Retreat Mineral Springs & Spa are dedicated to making sure your stay is outstanding.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Kind regards,

Deborah and all of the team
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My fiancee and I had the Yum Cha package for our anniversary and we were very impressed. I got the feeling that they may have been short staffed on the day, they phoned to ask a few hours before our arrival if we would mind starting a half hour later, but said they could still keep our original booking time if it was inconvenient. We agreed to move the booking as we had nothing else on for the day.

We were greeted on arrival with an umbrella as the weather was not great and guided to the hot spring bath. The hot spring bath is absolutely lovely, set in a little private courtyard that was beautifully decorated. The rain and the cold were actually a perfect contrast to the hot spring water and I would definitely visit again in the colder months, getting out of the bath into the cold rain then hoping back in again really added to the experience.

The massage was lovely and very relaxing, my fiancee and I both fell asleep a couple of times. The massage rooms are also beautifully appointed. Our massage started a little late, however it still finished on time, the massage was lovely so I would have liked to have had that extra 10 minutes. We had a few minutes rest after the massage before we were led to our private dining hut for our lunch.

The Yum Cha was fantastic, I absolutely love dim sum, and what they provided was definitely some of the best I have eaten. From our little private dining hut we were overlooking a small lake, it was perfect for our romantic getaway. Lunch was finished off with Green Tea icecream, something that neither my fiancee or I like at all, however this was delicious. Green tea icecream is something I have tried many times in many places, this is the first time someone has got it right.

The staff were lovely, the atmosphere was quiet and relaxing and the food was beautiful, I would definitely come again.

1 Thank kafmil
Thank you for your review of the Yum Cha Massage & Bathe experience.
We are happy you enjoyed your experience and look forward to seeing you both again.
We love our Yum Cha too!

Deborah and all of the team at Japanese Mountain Retreat Mineral Springs & Spa
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Japanese Mountain retreat two nights ago.

If you appreciate quality in both service and facilities look no further

The gardens and architecture on the site are beautiful and finished without compromise. The retreats themselves were magnificent - the attention to detail incredible. We were greeted by the owner (how refreshing), and made to feel welcome and valued. Her passion and dedication to provide an extraordinary experience for guests is admirable and much appreciated. Having lived in Japan I can thankfully say that a truly authentic Japanese experience is within easy reach.

Great value for money (this is not your average run of the mill stay), extraordinary levels of quality control and attention to detail

Well Done we will be back

Peter

1 Thank SpringPeaches
Deborah Q, Owner at Japanese Mountain Retreat Mineral Springs & Spa, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We are so pleased that you feel your experience was value for money and that you appreciated the design and attention to detail.

Thank you, we hope to see you again soon.

All the best,

Japanese Mountain Retreat Mineral Springs & Spa Team
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed here a few years ago and was looking at staying their other property "Balinese Retreat" in the next few weeks. Are the owners serious with their pricing? You could almost book 7 nights in Bali for what they charge for 2 nights! I concur with the other poor reviews, the owner is disinterested and does not make you feel welcome at all. It seems they enjoy taking the exorbitant fee from their guests and leave you with a mediocre experience at best. The food provided for dinner was terrible. It's take out food provided in a presentable manner to fool you that some effort has gone into it. The food is 'sweaty' which if you've ever ordered take out, you'll know what I mean. The massage provide was from inexperienced staff. Not relaxing at all. The worst part of all is that we left behind a full bottle of Chivas Regal which we didn't end up opening. Do you think anyone called us to let us know? The dishonesty and lack of service from this should provide you with some insight as to what this place is all about. Ridiculous pricing, poor quality food, lackluster customer service and the owners laughing all the way to the bank. It's a pity you can't enjoy your own city and are forced to travel overseas for true luxury at a reasonable price!

4 Thank Helen D
Dear Reviewer,

If you had such a bad experience as you suggest at Japanese Mountain Retreat why would you be ringing back to enquire about the Balinese Retreat??? No One has ever left a bottle of Chivas Regal in all the years I have owned the resort....

Yes you can travel to Bali and stay somewhere for a week for the price of one night in the Balinese Retreat. You can also stay in a luxury suite at any top Melbourne Hotel for over $1000.00 per night. Or you can stay in an opulent Balinese Villa catering for one couple per night overlooking a tropical lagoon 45 minutes from Melbourne the choice is freely made.

Japanese Mountain Retreat Mineral Springs & Spa and Balinese Retreat Staff
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This retreat was hidden away in the forest, once entered on to the premise was breath taking surrounding feels like I just arrived in Japan! Our retreat looks just like ryokan accomodation its amazing, the room were so relaxing and have that warmth makes you just want to stay indoors and not want to leave. Dinner was extra but it's worth the money, initially thought was not enough but once the main arrived we were stuffing ourselves with fine Japanese cuisine. Then there was the private Japanese mineral spring helps you feel refreshed physically and its a good stress relieve treatment. The price is quite pricy but it's a lot less than an airfare to Japan.

Room Tip: Japanese style futon mattress way to go if you like Ryokan type of accomodation.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and were happy with the Japanese cuisine, mineral springs and your accommodation.

Japanese Mountain Retreat Mineral Springs & Spa Team
Reviewed July 30, 2012

You can tell by the title of my review that we loved our stay! I booked this getaway for one night, we were so spoilt and looked after by Deborah & her team. We both had massages upon our arrival by the wonderful staff. We were instantly relaxed. The banquet was delicious, all the details were thought of! We got the pleasure of booking the hot springs, if you are going, this is a must! I love it here, we will be back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mhippster
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montrose
Southbank
The Langham
#5 of 160 in Melbourne
Cambridge Cottages
#5 of 13 in Olinda

Been to Japanese Mountain Retreat Mineral Springs & Spa? Share your experiences!