“Overpriced & Overated”
Review of Fish

Fish
Ranked #8 of 12 Restaurants in Penneshaw
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The promotional boards and articles surrounding the shop are a simple facade to the most overpriced and overrated fish in Australia. Our fish was very boney and small in size. The crumbed fish was barely covered in crumbs. Very small, poor and expensive menu. This lady put in about as much effort in cooking her products as she did in her customer service. Appeared very arrogant and really couldn't give us the time of day. When we went back to complain, all she showed me was a box the fish came in. Wow, someone else's fault. You would be better of going to the Pizza shop next door. Their pizza sa looked good.

2  Thank Travellingbeagles

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We walked into fish, after reading the board out the front I had high expectations. After reading the menu, I'd expected the best fish I'd ever eaten in my life. I've lived and fished in SA since I can remember, and know what is put in front of me. I had to blink twice to make sure I'd read correctly, $18 for fresh 'king george whiting' and chips. Interesting.. I thought. Being that we were on Kangaroo island, and that its high fishing season, and I'd been on a charter the day before and bagged out on 40cm King George Whiting, I found the description intriguing. "Southern Ocean king george whiting - the jewell of the ocean - but like jewells they aren't cheap!"

Well you're not wrong.

So begrudgingly I'd paid, muttering to my partner that this better be rediculously good.

Now. king george whiting has a size limit of 32cm during season. My fillet was about 15cm MAX. Either she's buying illegal sized fish, or is horrible at filleting, or she is flogging off silver whiting for $18 a fillet. NOT impressed. Not that you could tell her. The arrogance of this lady was insane. Her way or the highway.

That was NOT king george whiting. I'd stake my boat on it. Anyone who knows anything about these fish will tell you a KGW fillet should be at leasst 30% larger.

was cooked immaculately, chips were golden, tartar was tartar.

Summary, unless you're made of money, get your fish at the pub.

2  Thank Marty S
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

The quality was quite good and service good but didn't think size of the serve was particularly good value for money.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Had takeaway fish and chips one evening
They don't charge extra for grilling the fish - servings generous and the staff pleasant

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Every time we come to KI this shop is closed - on the one occasion we struck it open, the owner was rude and the food very expensive!

4  Thank 4DinersfromTown