For our long-dreamed-of trip to Oz, we wanted to experience something outside the norm and selected Kangaroo Island, SA as one of our four points of travel. Reviews and information about the Island were scattered and the best information we could get led us to KI Lodge in the village of American River.
All I can say is "Totally Outstanding!" Our 2 teenagers, who hate everything (if you have teen's you can relate) were in awe and of all the places in Oz we visited (the Outback,Cairns & Barrier Reef, Sydney and Adelaide), KI Lodge is the only place they want to go back to!
The room was spotlessly clean and spacious, and offered a full kitchen, huge bathroom, full balcony, beds for us all, & better-than-expected tv reception. The reception/lobby area holds a great library, board games, a fireplace and lounging couches. When our few days were drawing to a close in American River, our family was a bit apprehensive when we discoved we had to check out of KI Lodge at 10 am but our bus to the ferry wouldn't collect us until 6 that evening. Even while we had to relenquish our room, our hosts at KI Lodge made us comfortable, even after we had paid our tab (find that anywhere else!) by setting us up in their huge conference room with access to a big-screen tv, cable and internet access, private bathrooms and bar service while we awaited the transport back to the ferry that evening.
The restaurant, open for dinner and when we were there, by reservation only, was 4 star calibre. The breakfast buffet was great - visitors have to try the yogurt, house-made granola and the island honey. We are not novice travellers and simply could not believe we were getting this quality of service, food and lodging in a place so far removed from cosmopolitan cities.
While it was a bit chilly for swimming, the pool is clean and inviting. I'd love to be there when the outdoor patio is in full swing!
The hotel staff arranged our travel excursions to Seal Bay and the national park. No need to worry about missing any link -our KI Lodge manager made sure we made all of our connections and handed us off to our Island Guide. By the way, the Island tour guide, Les, knows everything about the Island - being an KI resident since the '50's - and if you ride his bus, be ready to sing "Waltzing Matilda". Just don't be late getting back on the bus at the tour stops - it's not fun seeing him get pi**ed off!
While I have nothing but kudos for KI Lodge , I still believe the best testimonial that can be given to anyplace, anytime, anywhere is from a teenager who says " Kangaroo Island was the best part of our family vacation to Australia". It doesn't get any better than that.
Hats off to our new friends at Kangaroo Island Lodge and thank you all for making this the trip of a lifetime!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kangaroo Island, one of Australia's great wilderness destinations, is best known for its magnificent coastal views, unique landscapes, uncrowded beaches and fascinating wildlife, including kangaroos, wallabies, koalas, Australian sea-lions, New Zealand fur seals and Little penguins. Kangaroo Island is a place of natural beauty and a place to escape. Kangaroo Island Lodge is situated on the banks of Eastern Cove in American River, with all rooms perfectly perched offering exceptional water views over the bay. Amid lush coastal vegetation, Kangaroo Island Lodge blends in with its natural surroundings. There is no better place to unwind and to enjoy the peace and tranquility. The seclusion of this area allows for the abundance of wildlife to roam free. Tammar wallabies, brush tailed possums, black swans, Cape Barren geese, Australian pelicans and the rare and endangered glossy black cockatoos can all be found in here. The outer bay of Eastern Cove offers excellent sailing and fishing in protected waters. The Kangaroo Island oyster industry is also located in American River, with the Oyster Shed located just down the road from the Kangaroo Island Lodge. If you are a keen walker, there are two main walking tracks, the Independence Trail and the Fish Cannery walk. Both walks meander through the natural coastal scrub where numerous species of wildlife and birdlife can be seen. So why not come and escape to the Kangaroo Island Lodge? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel All Seasons Kangaroo Island American River
- Kangaroo Island Hotel
- Kangaroo Island American River
- Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge American River