The options on the island might limit choices, but I wouldn't recommend this hotel or a visit to the island. The hotel is so old and the rooms are what I'd expect in a low end motel (such as a Motel 6). We had millipedes in the room all the time and I feared they'd get in our luggage and come home with us.
The staff was nice and for a motel, the hotel was exceptional. The best food we had.
Our purpose for this visit was to see an abundance of wildlife in their natural environment. We really looked forward to Kangaroo Island but were extremely disappointed because we saw more animals dead on the side of the road than we did in the wild. Ended up having to go to a santuary to see much of the wildlife (which we could get in Sydney and saved the trip to KI).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kangaroo Island, one of Australia's great wilderness destinations, is best known for its magnificent coastal views, unique landscapes, uncrowded beaches and fascinating wildlife, including kangaroos, wallabies, koalas, Australian sea-lions, New Zealand fur seals and Little penguins. Kangaroo Island is a place of natural beauty and a place to escape. Kangaroo Island Lodge is situated on the banks of Eastern Cove in American River, with all rooms perfectly perched offering exceptional water views over the bay. Amid lush coastal vegetation, Kangaroo Island Lodge blends in with its natural surroundings. There is no better place to unwind and to enjoy the peace and tranquility. The seclusion of this area allows for the abundance of wildlife to roam free. Tammar wallabies, brush tailed possums, black swans, Cape Barren geese, Australian pelicans and the rare and endangered glossy black cockatoos can all be found in here. The outer bay of Eastern Cove offers excellent sailing and fishing in protected waters. The Kangaroo Island oyster industry is also located in American River, with the Oyster Shed located just down the road from the Kangaroo Island Lodge. If you are a keen walker, there are two main walking tracks, the Independence Trail and the Fish Cannery walk. Both walks meander through the natural coastal scrub where numerous species of wildlife and birdlife can be seen. So why not come and escape to the Kangaroo Island Lodge? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Priceline, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel All Seasons Kangaroo Island American River
- Kangaroo Island Hotel
- Kangaroo Island American River
- Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge American River