“WOW - what an experience!!!”

Eaglereach Wilderness Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vacy
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Just spent 3 wonderful nights at Eaglereach in one of the most delightful lodges ~ Wanji II, which was surrounded by a magestic background provided by the natural beauty of bushland, wildlife and birdlife, not to mention the gorgeous scenic views from the balcony - oh my, what a sensational view tfor us to wake up to every morning - pure bliss!!

A huge thank you to Paul, Carmen, Emma and the rest of the Eaglereach team, who provided the most warm and welcome hospitality that anyone could wish for. A total escape to a paradise up in the mountains away from the busy day to day pressures of everyday life.....

We cannot wait for my return trip to Eaglereach!!

Room Tip: Wanji II was such a beautiful escape from the hustle and bustle of our busy day to day schedule - wo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
HunterCooee, General Manager at Eaglereach Wilderness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Hi Duncan from Wodonga
Thank you for covering the bases of your stay yes the luxury Wanji lodge is very special with the four poster bed and twin showers for that special occasion and views to the Pacific East coast. Plus you reached out for the natural attractions of the flora and fauna in its natural habitat.

Thank you also for your commendation of the team frankly its because we love being there meeting the guests and being of service so different to those unhosted establishments.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I booked a weekend away as a surprise for my g/f and it was a huge hit. The drive up to the resort from the road was long and i thought i had taken a wrong turn, but once we arrived at the resort it took both our breath away, from the view out the window, to the hopping kangaroos along the road side. It seemed like an age before we got to reception and when we arrived we were greeted with sparkling wine and a smiling face. Also, this is when my g/f found out about the massage i had booked for her the next morning, another win! We were then given a bottle of local sparkling and chocolates, a dinner voucher and told when breakfast was served, then we were pointed in the direction of our lodge, Silkwood. (the most private lodge) Again it was a 3 - 5 minute drive to our lodge from recption as this place is HUGE! But once we arrived and saw the view and the outdoor spa, we knew we were onto a winner. The lodge was older but spacious and very clean. We ate at the restaurant the first night and the food was a 3.5 out of 5 but very well priced. The 2nd night we took advantage of the hamper option (steak, sausages, bread and salad) and cooked at our lodge on the bbq and spent the night in front of the fire, (all firewood provided). I must say a highlight was sitting in the outdoor spa over looking the valley and watching the sunset or it could have been looking out the kitchen window seeing a kangaroo sitting there and then feeding him. We could not fault this place and would and have recommended this to friends already. We will be back in the warmer months to take advantage of their 4wd track and walking trails.

Room Tip: If you're on a couples weekend, request the Silkwood lodge.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
HunterCooee, General Manager at Eaglereach Wilderness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Hi Matt J
Wow indeed your have covered every base of what we try to achieve and we are so delighted your surprise your for your g/f turned out to be such a success. Yes the road up looks daunting but we have never had a guest accident and because it is winds all the way the secret is to take it easy and enjoy the views. The size of the resort does amaze many one thousand acres in fact from moountaintop to rain forest and everyone can have their own special space. The spas do make it so very special especially when you are in the spa with a glass of bubbles and kangaroos and wallabys close by as interested spectators. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

We have just returned from another wonderful weekend at Eaglereach. We have had a weekend at Eaglereach every year for the past five years. Why do we keep coming back? We have always found the staff friendly and very helpful. The first year we went there was flooding in the valley and we had to take a detour ( in the pouring rain) .The staff directed us via mobile ( with bad reception) and waited for us to arrive to greet us with champagne. It was after 10.00pm by this stage.
We always stay at the Jindalee Lodge as its great value, rooms are clean and comfortable, the balcony is spacious with lovely views over the Hunter Valley and the fire in the lounge room creates a very cosy atmosphere. It took us awhile to get the fire going but worth the wait. The staff were only too happy to help. We spent most of our time walking and taking in the stunning views over the Patterson Valley, mingling with the wildlife or at the lagoon- which is a great place for a picnic. You can kayak there too.
At dusk we head for the spa, sip on some bubbly and once again take in the stunning view- which includes the local wild life. I could spend hours in the spa watching the beautiful sunsets and the kangaroos and joeys grazing around me. The restaurant food is quite good. Breakfast was a generous buffet-which we ate whilst watching two beautiful red and blue rosellas fly around us. For dinner we had the salt and pepper squid,which was delicious and the duck was also good. We had a wonderful relaxing weekend and look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are lighter and quieter
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
HunterCooee, General Manager at Eaglereach Wilderness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

This review from satisfied guests makes it all worthwhile to be in the tourrism industry the appreciation that they come back every year for five years and take advantage of the many attractions here both natural and man made. They appreciate the good value staying in the Jindalee Resort room complex with the huge spa wide verandahs recreation centre with pool table and wood fire. plus the great views. Like us they continue to appreciate the wildlife we continue to see new species in the variety of eco-systems from mountain top to rain forest and that is before you look sykward. The new bistro menu and finally the appreciation of the naturally friendly staff who genuinely want the guests to enjoy their stay speak well of their stay and come back another time.

Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at Eaglereach three times now, once in a one bedroom spa lodge for my honeymoon, once in a larger lodge with a group of friends & this time in the Jindalee complex.

The first stay was top class, the second stay really good & we had a great weekend with the girls...this stay was a wee bit disappointing given previous wonderful experiences!

The room was nice, clean, big bathroom, nice shared facilities, shared spa freaked me out a bit as there were other people in the complex too & I didn't fancy sharing a spa with strangers! Mini bar has a nice selection & the prices are pretty standard for a mini bar (considering the remoteness of the resort they could probably get away with charging more).

Anyway, pretty much the only reason I gave them a less than perfect rating is the restaurant. On both previous occasions the food was a highlight & unbelievable! This time it was disappointing. Turns out that the restaurant has changed hands & the new owners aren't getting it right!

The dinner was average, nothing to recommend but nothing to really complain about, just uninspired & a bit bland. The breakfast was diabolical! A la carte breakfast is a big call for so many people & they did NOT pull it off! I felt so sorry for the front of house girls who were left high & dry by whoever made the decision to do a la carte instead of buffet (I'm in hospitality, I know how these things work, we do a la carte but we have 35 pairs of hands in deck to make it run smoothly!)...

Anyway, I think I've stayed in the three main levels of accommodation (luxury one bedroom spa lodge, great family or group lodge & the Jindalee complex) & I'm happy to recommend the accommodation but I do advise to try one of the local eateries...

Flying Duck Cafe in Vacy
Farmers Hotel Bistro in Vacy (vegan & gluten free alternatives)
Gus's Grub for great burgers in Gresford

The facilities "up top" are good & I recommend the day spa, bush walks, local wine tours, the local olive farm (Bunna Bunoo).

Also, the staff we encountered were sweet hearts. No issues with the service (aside from slow breakfast but the girls were handling themselves well & apologetic & helpful).

Oh, & I'm trying to put in my stay date but it keeps defaulting to December 2011???? I stayed May 2012...in the lovely crisp weather! Best time of year to stay up there!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank skyebrand
HunterCooee, General Manager at Eaglereach Wilderness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Hi Skyebrand from the Hunter Valley
Reading your review in full delivers a very positive result from your three visits. Certainly we have accommodation to suit all budgets and size of groups from one bedroom deluxe spa lodges to family lodges to a resort room where you last stayed. The latter is a lot of fun and the meticulious cleaned communial spa is as large as a plunge pool and often found in high profile properties. Being in the business you were critical of the kitchen producing a la carte for large numbers for breakfast all I can say is that senior apprentice was in his last week going beyond his brief and the breakfast is complementary. In future I can guarantee the buffet which wil be creative and changing daily. Yes the evening menu and wine list has changed from fine dining to bistro and the prices reflect this following guest surveys of what they wanted in f&b in a wilderness resort and what they expected to pay. We look forward to welcoming you back as a loyal Eaglereach guest

Reviewed July 28, 2012

We're constantly amazed with the great welcome reception we get every time we arrive at Eaglereach. This our sixth trip in four years and the welcome reception provided by Paul, Carmen and Emma is just as special as the first time we stayed on the mountain. The glass of bubbles always sets the scene for our lovely romantic weekend away from the concrete jungle and hustle and bustle of city life. The wildlife, beautiful scenery, the cosy lodges and relaxed atmosphere is what Eaglereach is all about. What makes this place extra special are the international guests you get to chat to as you walk through the rain forrest or general walking trails and they say that they come here for the wonderful wildlife, as the kangaroos and the vast variety of birdlife, create a symphony of natural Australian beauty on your door step.

We would highly recommend Eaglreach for the perfect romantic getaway and make it a regular date twice a year.

Can't understand the incredibly negative comments that Jo H posted, and did they actually stay at the Eaglereach we know and love????

Room Tip: Every lodge offers an unique experience.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
HunterCooee, General Manager at Eaglereach Wilderness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2012

Hi Romantics 2010
Thankfully we enjoy a very high percentage of return guests like Romantics 2010 and yes we do greet them like old friends now.. This couple obviously appreciates the whole experience which is without question very different to a city hotel or beachside unit. What is a thrill when walking on the selection of trails from rain forest to mountain top to come across the variety of native wildlife which many guests had never seen before with the possible exception of in a zoo. The Romantics 2010 of this world are are best salespeople " word of mouth" rates number one here..

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed at the resort during the recent school holidays and was delighted to find a peaceful, quiet hideaway so close to Sydney. The drive to get there was magnificent but when we reached the windy road up the mountain I was even more excited as we climbed to the top. It really is an eagle's reach! I believe the resort was well patronised yet the spread of the lodges gave the feeling we were the only ones present. I loved every minute of my stay- the friendly staff, the fireplaces, the wildlife, the walks, and oh, the views!
The restaurant cooked a fabulous breakfast (love the fluffy pancakes) and we enjoyed an evening meal as well. I chose the duck, which I loved, and complimented the chef on the night. I must make mention of the hot chocolate pudding as it was delicious.

I really didn't know what an eco resort was before I stayed. It's definitely not a slick, sterile city hotel and I'm sure it's not meant to be. This is a comfortable, relaxing, getaway oozing atmosphere where I was immediately at one with nature.

Enjoy the weather (whatever that turns out to be) and turn away from the worries of the world. I wouldn't call Eaglereach a resort- I'd call it an oasis. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
HunterCooee, General Manager at Eaglereach Wilderness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2012

Hi Coralhill
Glad you enjoyed your first visit to an eco resort yes it really is a different experience and uniquely Australian. from the wildlife to the adjoining eco systems. The bistro is alos very popular with a range of fresh local produce to the takeaways from picnic and BBQ hampers pizzas and fish and chips something to suit all tastes including the choices you nominated . Our team will be delighted to read your review and welcome you back.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Overall Eaglereach is a pleasant place to spend time away from busy lives. The tennis court, riding/walking trails, pool table, and outdoor exercise equipment will keep you entertained for a day or two. The restaurant food is a bit pricey, slow to be served 'pub food', but adequate. The first cabin we stayed in (Inala) had a serious mould issue in the carpets of both rooms. We woke up coughing in the morning with the taste of mould in our mouths. The decore was very very old. We were moved to a lovely 4 bedroom cabin for the remainder of our weekend away. Reading books beside the log fire was exactly the kind of relaxing break we were after. The staff are friendly and accommodating. The wildlife was a little bit thin on our trip - a few kangaroos spotted along the main road, but no wildlife spotted at all on the nature walks and 4WD tracks we rode our bikes on.

The biggest tips I'd give would be to call ahead to ensure you don't get a cabin with reports of mould, bring your own bikes (theirs don't have gears), and make sure you plan your lunches well (no food is available between breakfast and dinner).

Room Tip: Avoid Inala cabin until the mould issue has been resolved - there is at least one another cabin with...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
HunterCooee, General Manager at Eaglereach Wilderness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Hi Shannon M of Newcastle
Sorry we do not meet all your expectations but appreciate that you rated your stay four out of five. We were not aware of the mould concern you reported but to be on the safe side have requested a carpet cleaner service the lodge and the curtains will be replaced. Be assured the wildlife is prodigious including macropods echidnas goannas and that is before you look to the sky but sometimes due to the weather especially if its raining hard to spot or those that are night feeders. All the bistro dishes feature the best available fresh local produce and all the entrees priced at $16 and mains at $27 excluding the eye fillet steak and all generous portions. We trust you will return in the not too distant future and you will receive an additional bonus and other offers as a returning guest.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vacy
Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
Pindari House
Pindari House
#1 of 1 in Lochinvar
Grand Mercure The Vintage Hunter Valley

Been to Eaglereach Wilderness Resort? Share your experiences!