“Outstanding Bed and Breakfast”

Holladay House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 8 Orange B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Virginia Beach, VA
“Outstanding Bed and Breakfast”
Reviewed October 18, 2009

My husband and I were given a 2 day get a away by our son and daughter-in-law for Christmas. We saved the trip so we could see the leaves turning in the fall. We were pleasantly surprised. The house is just superb.
The Innkeepers Sam and Sharon were so down to earth. Sam is quite a historian and Sharon she is a GREAT COOK. Our breakfasts were delicious They made us feel right at home. I had to ask for the recipes. Sharon was on the money recommending places to eat dinner and helped us find all our other interests. Our room was comfortable and very clean. I am real picky about where I stay and was most comfortable. The Beds were very comfortable. I loved the sheets. They even called us to tell us that our friends could join us at the last minute. They called as soon as they had a cancellation.
I would recommend the Bed and Breakfast to anyone. I know we will re-visit.

3 Thank dorsman5432

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
chicago
Reviewed October 17, 2009

Sharon and Sam as hoteliers are superb. Sharon is part 5 star chef, travel agent, and sommelier. Sam contribution as local historian, chamber of commerce and everything else under the sun cannot be discounted; we loved every minute of our stay as this couple and their B&B is an experience not to be missed. Rooms, baths, internet connections with gratis printers, fresh cookies on the mantle... everything was perfect.

3 Thank abc095
Winchester, VA
Reviewed October 16, 2009

My husband and I celebrated my 50th birthday at the Holladay House, and we couldn't have had a more wonderful experience. The innkeeper, Sharon, was very gracious and accommodating, and I could go back every morning for her breakfast. (Her chocolate chip cookies are sinfully delicious as well.) Our room was immaculate. I was surprised by the fact that in a house that was built in the 1800's, you couldn't hear a sound from the other rooms. I didn't even realize there were other people there until we saw them at breakfast. And although Orange is a very small town, it's perfectly located for winery touring, visiting Montpelier, or hiking on Skyline Drive.

3 Thank Noncamper
Virginia
Reviewed October 10, 2009

We stayed here on Oct. 2-6 and couldn't have picked the most perfect place. Our hostess was the most gracious and kind of any of the other B&B places we have stayed. Have already recommended to several people. Look forward to visiting again. Sharon did a fantastic job in making us feel welcomed and like home! Thanks again for an enjoyable stay.
Terry and Evelyn Eacho
Richmond, VA

3 Thank monagoVirginia
Leonardtown
Reviewed October 2, 2009

While in the Charlottesville area for a U2 concert, we made a reservation at the Inn. It was a very pleasant, but short stay. The Inn is pretty and very clean. Our room was bright and pleasant. The mornings breakfast was outstanding. We only stayed one night, but would love to revisit this grand Inn.

Mont Vernon, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 11, 2009

Of the four B&B's we stayed at during our trip, the breakfast at the Holladay House was by far the best. Hosts were friendly, helpful and room was great.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NHSue
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 30, 2009

My wife and I traveled to Holladay House for a late August weekend to celebrate her birthday. Our hosts Sharon and Sam were wonderful and helped make this weekend very special for us. They have an instinctive knack for knowing exactly how much interaction guests desire and are happy to sit for conversations or retire with bright smiles depending on a guest's mood.

Sharon greeted us on our arrival and gave us each cookies during our tour. She then showed us to our room, insisting on taking our luggage down for us. She then offered to help us make dinner reservations. Sharon gave a stunningly accurate description of the restaurant we chose, right down to the amount of time dinner would take.

We stayed in the Garden Suite, which was very pretty. It has a wonderful side patio, perfect for a book and morning coffee. The room comes equipped with a large whirpool spa tub and a pair of extremely comfortable robes. It was perfect for a romantic getaway.

The breakfasts are delightful. They can be leisurely or quick depending on the needs of a guest. My wife and I relaxed during our breakfast on Saturday, choosing to spend more than an hour eating and enjoying coffee before taking a walk to the farmer's market (which has very tasty fruit and vegetables, including incredible heirloom tomatoes). On Sunday, we were in a bit of a rush. Sam and Sharon were able to accommodate our schedule, getting us fed and out the door within 15 minutes. The food was excellent. We had a crustless quiche on Saturday and to-die-for french toast on Sunday. The coffee, which is roasted at a local store nearby, was delicious. I am usually a one-cup-a-day guy, but had three before I called it quits. They were also happy to accommodate my wife's food restrictions, serving veggie sausage instead of bacon on request.

All in all, we could not have been happier. Sharon and Sam were wonderful hosts and helped make our weekend amazing. We look forward to visiting them again!

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple