“Friendly hosts and very good food”
Review of Inn on Poplar Hill

Inn on Poplar Hill
Ranked #6 of 8 Orange B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I have read a few reviews, and while I agree that the job of running an Inn is a huge undertaking, not everyone wants or needs to stay in the "perfect" place. Marty and Victoria are friendly, try to help people plan their stays, and succeed remarkably well, given that is is just the two of them. My room, the Rose Room, had a small sitting area and a bedroom and a private bath attached. I also saw the other rooms, which were nicely done - especially the bedding and art quilts. The weather turned cold while I was there and my room is on a separate system of heat but Marty made sure I was warm, and arranged one day for me to tour the house next door, my Grandparents house from mid 1930 -1970. I also had spent time in the house they made into an Inn, and can honestly say, given the age of the houses, that both places looked a LOT better and in no way exude being run down to me - perhaps shabby chic, though even that is stretching it. It is an OLD house. Victoria is a very good cook, and I concur the egg/gouda/asparagus dish for breakfast is wonderful. Think of this a a visit to a friendly family place, not a showplace - and it is priced accordingly.

Room Tip: The Magnolia Room fits families - the pictures and descriptions on the website are accurate.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Inn on Poplar Hill

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My mom and I just returned from a wonderful weekend at the Inn on Poplar Hill. Victoria made an excellent breakfast. It was beyond what I expected. The egg/gouda/asparagus dish was to die for! Marty was so friendly and offered a lot of 'to do' suggestions as we arrived with no set plans. Thanks to Marty we were able to do some antique shopping in the morning, horseback riding in the afternoon, followed by a winery visit. Marty was kind enough to charge the horseback riding to our room and then send the man a check as he did not take credit cards and we did not have enough cash. Marty also provided us with a $5 off a bottle coupon for Keswick which we enjoyed on the beautiful afternoon. Finally our day ended with a delicious dinner in Orange which Marty was kind enough to recommend and reserve for us. We had a wonderful stay. One thing I have not seen mentioned in previous reviews - Marty and Victoria have a beautiful property. We were able to walk on the very well maintained paths throughout the acres of land - a huge bonus for being so near downtown Orange!!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I write this review in the context of letting you know that I have helped family run an inn in California that was in Fodor's Best B & B's of California, and that I am an experienced worldwide traveler. I have stayed in simple two-star guest houses in France that were lovely, and lavish 5-star castles in Ireland that were magnificent. My expectations of a room in an inn for a $200-plus per night in rural Virginia are that it be in good repair, immaculately clean, fluffy towels, luxury toiletries, excellent quality bedding and furnishings, etc. Unfortunately, this was not the case. I went to Poplar Hill with my dog, knowing we would be in the Black Walnut room, one of two rooms in which dogs are allowed. I read the reviews on Trip Advisor, understanding (as you should also understand) that I do not know anything about the standards of those who wrote them. I should have listened to the warning bells of my intuition. I should have paid attention to the web site bragging that it supplied Trader Joe's toiletries (Nothing wrong with Trader Joe's, but the store's purpose is economy, not luxury). What's not visible in the pictures on line is that the room has not been painted in 5 years. The paint has large dark marks and scratches, is dirty and dingy. There were electric cords snaking all over the walls and floors, as the wiring and walls had never been modernized. There are two power strips, and a large air purifier on the floor as well. The windows and glass on the door to the room are covered with dirty blinds and there is a window air conditioner that is filthy with black dirt on every surface, and didn't work the night I was there. The windows don't open, so the room was warm, stuffy, and I hardly slept. The curtains are frayed, and all the fabrics are somewhat worn, including the rugs. Under the bed, there were accumulations of dust bunnies. The bathroom walls, in part, were fake plastic paneling. The tub-shower was a prefab unit with a dirty-appearing interior and some yellowed non-slip strips glued onto its floor. The towels were thin, white, utilitarian. Outside, the paint on the door to the room and the inn as a whole is peeling off. On the front porch, not only is the paint peeling, but there is mold and possibly dry rot. Part of the porch rail was beginning to come off. Inside, Marty pointed out a lovely historic feature, two jib doors (the bottom half is a door that will open, the top half is a window that lifts). I noticed that the doors did not close all the way and so the interior of the house is partly open to the outside. The common rooms were well kept, and I don't know about the other guest rooms in the house. The part of the grounds that I saw needed a lot of attention. Weed vines were overtaking the trees and shrubs. After my first night there, I spoke to Marty and told him that I was unhappy with the room, would pay for the one night, but couldn't stay and would like to be released from paying for the second night. He was very nice about it, including interested in what the problems were, and agreed to the refund. He also agreed that the room wasn't in the best repair. He said that he didn't blame me for not wanting to use the shower, that the bathroom was to be renovated this winter. He said that they paint the rooms on a schedule of every 5 years. He said that during the week, Victoria is working and it's just him, and he does what he can. In my opinion, upkeep of an inn should be done as needed, not on a strict schedule. You don't put a guest in a sub-standard room. The property is very large, and I think it's too much for them to handle. I own a house built in 1905, 15 years after Poplar Hill and I know what it takes. I think they would need a million or more to get it in proper shape. Before I left, I stopped in next door at the Inn on Chestnut Hill, which is beautifully done. The proprietor told me that they took 5 years to gut it and renovate before having a guest, costing over 2 million. It shows. That is also what my California friends did before having a guest. I wish Marty and Victoria well, feel badly writing this review, but feel others should have some knowledge of what's there.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank drladybug
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Overall nice place to stay. I'm not huge into the b&b experience but if you are than this should fit the bill. I would recommend staying in the walnut room as you has you own desperate entrance which is nice. Victoria made a very nice breakfast and Marty is always around to help. Lots of good wineries in the area. If your gonna travel a decent distance to get there then you should stay 2 nights as one is just too quick.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Marty and Victoria are attentive hosts, serving an incredible breakfast that will keep you going all day. It is nice to stroll around the paths on their huge property, through wooded areas and tall grass and bushes to a pond with chairs and a fire pit, or a hidden hammock. They have coupons for free tastings from local vineyards, a nice way to discover a new favorite wine.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed February 17, 2013

After returning home from a two-night stay to celebrate Valentine's Day and my husband's birthday, all I can say to sum up our experience at the Inn on Poplar Hill is that we were very much spoiled. Marty and Victoria are welcoming, accommodating, kind, and treated us like royalty.

The breakfasts at the inn are out of this world. Victoria has quite a talent!! We've been to several highly-rated B&Bs and agreed that this was the best--the kind of dining you'd expect from a 5-star restaurant. Mouth-watering souffle, blueberry scones, and banana pancakes were just a few delicacies we enjoyed. Victoria gave us options of what we would like each morning and even let us try a little of each dish!

Marty gave us fantastic recommendations for planning our vineyard excusions. We had brought along our small dog (yes, the inn welcomes dogs!) and didn't want to leave her in the room and he suggested fantastic nearby wineries that were dog-friendly and even gave us passes for a free tasting and a cheese/meat plate (which we thoroughly enjoyed).

Looking back, the only constructive criticism we could offer was that the shower needed to be either replaced or repaired (or perhaps leave a "user's guide" in the room for more easy operation?). We had a hard time taking a comfortable shower and couldn't figure out how to get it working properly. The water only trickled out of the handheld sprayer, and we couldn't figure out how to get the overhead lights to work (it was quite dark in the shower room at night).

Overall, we returned rested and enjoyed our time at the Inn on Poplar Hill immensely. We highly recommend it for those who are looking for a relaxing getaway. We are already planning our return visit, and can't wait to come back!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Inn on Poplar Hill for one night recently and it was a lovely time. We stayed in the Blue Willow room and the jacuzzi tub was wonderful! Marty & Victoria are great hosts, incredibly gracious and knowledgable about the area. Marty was able to give us great advice and free tasting passes for multiple wineries in the area, and set us up for a great day of adventuring! Since we were the only ones staying that night we were able to eat breakfast in front of the fireplace which was beautiful, and Victoria is an amazing cook! Also the grounds are lovely, (even in January!) Overall it was a very special experience and we hope to return again!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple