“Nice atmosphere, great coffee, bountiful beer selection”
Review of The Light Well

The Light Well
Ranked #4 of 41 Restaurants in Orange
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A new restaurant. Opened in feb 2011
Reviewed February 25, 2012

This is actually a 3.5 star review for the food - somewhere between average and very good. We have been several times since The Light Well opened, but I think they still need to consider their menu (quite limited) and their preparation (very uneven). The chimichangas are my favorite thing to order and the burger is quite good, although the price is a bit high.

The two best things are the beer selections and the coffee. They have at least 5 or 6 beers on tap, ranging from Pabst Blue Ribbon to Guiness to Brooklyn Chocolate Stout (one can also get a tasting flight). The number of bottled beers is mind boggling, espcially in our small town. On the coffee side, they make the full range of espresso type coffees, as well as just plain coffee, all made from the wonderful beans of the Orange Roasters, a local business. So if beer isn't your cup of tea, the coffee just might suit.

The Light Well also frequently has live entertainment, although I've not sampled it myself. I think this relatively new venture is still looking to find its way a bit, but between the beer, the coffee and the effort to serve local, often organic, products (should have mentioned that earlier), it's definitely worth a visit.

1  Thank MadArchaeo

Reviewed February 16, 2012

I especially like the Pesto Benedict for Sunday brunch!

1  Thank turquoise53
Reviewed January 11, 2012

My wife and I visited the Light Well for lunch and after dinner drinks. It has a nice, small town feel with a pleasant atmosphere. However, the lunch service is not as attentive as dinner. The bartender had to alert the wait staff to our presence, and we had to remind our waitress to fill our drinks. Otherwise, the staff is friendly and accommodating. We'll be back on our next visit to Orange.

1  Thank phignewton
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I have been very frustrated and disappointed by "The Light Well". They have done a great job with decor, have one of the most impressive bar counters I have seen, friendly owners yet the service and food are to say nicely not so good. I had a burger that was overdone and it took so long that I wondered if they had to butcher a cow while we were waiting. I Still hope that they will get better, because there are so many better restaurant choices in Orange and it would be a shame to see them fail.

2  Thank Fairbalanced1
Reviewed January 1, 2012

The Light Well had decent food. We enjoyed the ambiance. The only problem was our food selection. If we had gone with a cheeseburger, we are sure the final result would have been more satisfying.