“Southern Charm at it's Best!”

The Inn at Willow Grove
Ranked #4 of 8 Orange B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 7, 2013

The South has long been know for it's hospitality but the owners of the Inn at Willow Grove have taken that long standing tradition to a new level. Having just renovated the plantation and the many outbuildings they have created an oasis in the piedmont of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

The staff was just what you would have expected...kind, warm and very knowledgable about the buildings. You get to stay in the outbuildings that have been decorated to the nines... Every detail is meticulous . down to the french soaps in the bathrooms.....I dont't even have words for the tub!! We stayed in the Schoolhouse. Original floor boards and fireplace!

There are many buildings in which you can stay that are on the National Historic registry. If you are a history buff, as I am, it was humbling to realize that I was walking on the same floor as a child did during his or her school day from hundreds of years ago.

The decor is a brilliant juxtaposition between the old and the new. The owners of the plantation are on premise and are happy to discuss it's history with you. If you can, get Mrs. Scibal to tell you about her decorating! She is just amazing!! You will sleep better than you have ever slept --between the linens and the bed... I am not sure which was better!

The restaurants and warm and inviting. The food is a foodies dream... The wine is ...well ...during our stay we did a wine tour of Barboursville Vineyards. The vinter. Luca Paschina is undoubetly the best winemaker in Virginia. His Octagon wine was requested by the Queen of England! It is wonderful!! The Scibals serve his wine as well as others with their food. All chosen to play very well off of each other.

They have plans for a large spa and more rooms in the near future.

I have plans to return many, many more times!! I great place to go and eat to you cant eat any more, relax and read, go visit Montpelier or Monticello. play golf or just do nothing in the beauty that is Virginia.

THIS IS A MUST SEE!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
InnatWillowGrove, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn at Willow Grove, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Even though we live in the area our stay here took us miles away. My wife surprised me with a stay here over the Memorial Day weekend, she had read about the Inn in Southern Living magazine. Previously, I had read a few articles about Willow Grove in the regional newspaper, which followed the renovation of the property. Since I had previous interest in the Inn my surprise was doubly pleasant.
The property renovations; yes, yes, yes. Very nice job on the renovations. The quality of work, and the quality of the materials used are evident everywhere you look. It is apparent that a lot of effort went into ensuring the end result would be impressive.
From what we saw all structures were well maintained inside and out. The landscaping was very nice and you can tell the grounds are well attended to.

The food was excellent, the service superb.

The staff is extremely attentive, friendly and knowledgeable about the property and the surrounding areas.

For us this was a place to relax, very peaceful, comfortable, and tranquil. We hit all four points within short order after our arrival.

After reading some reviews I will offer the following for the readers- this is not an activity themed property. Sit, relax, or walk around the grounds. If you want to get out and see the sights then consider visiting Orange, Culpepper, or you could make a day trip into Fredericksburg. Shenandoah NP is nearby so there is plenty to do if you can’t sit still.

Since this property commands an above average (for the area) room rate I am offering a couple of observances that could cause pause for those expecting a glitch free experience. We had our very small issues addressed promptly, courteously and without the need for additional attention. I am just saying it is the little things that can push some close, if not over the edge, which could result in a bad review. I am thinking of the Stink Bug reviewer. Glad she wasn’t there for the cicadas.

As I mentioned small things, easily remedied and not a real blip on our radar, save one. The check in process is just like any other, nice welcome, introduced to your butler, all very pleasant. That is except for the damage policy. Sure, all lodging establishments have damage policies, and you can expect to be charged for your reckless behavior. But our experience was different.

After the pleasantries, the introduction to the amenities, etc. we were walked through, sentence by sentence of the damage policy. In short, I had more attention paid to me and the policy than I had 30 years ago at spring break. Line by line. Now, I don’t look like a rock star, definitely not a young athlete, just an average middle aged man with not a sign of trouble being found in my appearance.

I definitely asked about the need for the legal walk through of the document. I was told that professional sports players sometimes stay there and that weddings can get rowdy. Well, OK I am neither, makes we wonder what the place can be like on a wedding weekend. Hmmmm.

The other issues; no water in the room, no robes, mystery charge on the dinner bill, chaos during dinner service resulting in getting our food a tad bit late. Oh, the pub closes early so you may want to bring your own refreshments if you are prone to having a night cap. The end result was that all things remedied with absolutely no skin off our noses and The Inn at Willow Grove still gets an excellent rating. And if you are made to feel like a trouble maker when you check in, don’t take offense after all, it is just policy.

Room Tip: Visit the website and see what room strikes your fancy, I don't think you can go wrong.
2  Thank andyandsally
InnatWillowGrove, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn at Willow Grove, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough five-star review. We always appreciate constructive feedback from our guests. It seems our guest services team was a bit over-zealous at the time of your check-in. We are not the TSA and we need to be more flexible with our check-in procedures, so we will work to improve this for the future. Also, just a quick side note, we are working on keeping the Pub open past 7pm on holiday Sundays, but your Butler is always available to procure an in-room nightcap for you on any Sunday night - no need to bring your own!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My now fiancé and I stayed here for a couple of nights over Memorial Day weekend. He proposed to me in our room and I will never forget it. I have nothing but good things to say about the inn. From the staff to the food to the room. Everything was as close to perfect as you can possibly get. The chef puts serious thought into the food and it does not disappoint. The coffee is out of this world. It reminded me of the coffee we had in Jamaica. Everyone is helpful and genuinely interested in making sure you have a stellar stay. I will end my review here- it would be the perfect place for a small wedding if that is your thing.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This was our second stay at the Inn. What an awesome place. Outstanding service from the check in process all the way through the water bottles for the trip north.

It is such a comfortable peaceful place. A great place to decompress from the DC hustle and bustle. Remember to bring a book and try to make it electronic free (you won't be sorry).

Great meal at Vintage

Don't miss out on such an outstanding getaway.

Room Tip: The Carriage House West has a great front porch for relaxing with a cocktail and a good book.
Reviewed May 23, 2013

My husband and I spent a fabulous night recently at the Inn at Willow Grove. The first thing that strikes you is the beautiful plantation setting. When the bellman, Philip, ran down to our car to get our bags we realized it was time to forget all of our stress. We were shown to the master suite which is elegantly furnished with an incredible balcony. The whole inn is beautifully decorated with many fun surprises. As we arrived early we had time to stroll the grounds and enjoy the many fountains and cozy nooks.

When it was time for dinner, we were not disappointed. While the property has a wonderful historic feel, the restaurant downstairs is very cool and upscale. The meal and wine selections are first class. The chef made my husband a special order of shrimp and grits which was the best he ever tasted. The meal was enjoyed at a leisurely southern pace and service was very attentive and friendly.

We retired to the bar after dinner and found other smiling guests to enjoy a nightcap with. It seems all the guests had the same experience as us and were happy to have found the Inn at Willow Grove.

The final surprise is when you get a knock on the door in the morning and Philip delivers hot coffee and fresh beignets. There are many things to discover in this area of Virginia which will give us an excuse to come back to the Inn at Willow Grove. Don't miss it!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had watched the Inn go through its massive renovation while we traveled to our second home in NC. Recently we decided that a stay was in order, so we booked the Butlers Cabin for a night....OMG!!!! This place is fantastic! Heated tile floors, huge bathroom with stone shower and a separate soaking tub, a bed to die for and ambience that is in a word "incredible" . We dined at the restaurant and were floored by the Chefs food and the Inns service as well as the eclectic decor. We loved this place so much we stayed a second night before heading north, We will visit here again and again.

Room Tip: We loved the privacy we had in the Butlers Cabin. Our cabin overlooked the gorgeous newly renovated...
1  Thank Missy M
Reviewed May 5, 2013

From the moment we pulled into the parking lot and Stephen came out to greet us and help with our luggage we were treated as though we were the most special guests to ever visit the Inn. Our room was amazing. The bed was hands down the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in and the linens were total luxury. I felt pampered in the bathroom with the heated floor, heated towel rack, and L'Occitane bath products. We dined in the Pub (comfortable decor, delicious dinner) and enjoyed Sunday brunch in the Vintage Restaurant (outstanding). The service was extraordinary, truly. We will definitely be returning to the Inn at Willow Grove as soon as we can get away again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orange
Comfort Inn & Suites Orange
#5 of 8 in Orange
Inn at Westwood Farm
Inn at Westwood Farm
#3 of 8 in Orange

Been to The Inn at Willow Grove? Share your experiences!