The Inn at Willow Grove
$95
Mayhurst Inn(Orange)
$199
Holiday Inn Express Orange(Orange)(Great Value!)
$99
Shenandoah Crossing(Gordonsville)(Great Value!)
$109
$65
$77
All reviewsbeignetsthe cottagesbutler's cottageheated bathroom floorsfrench press coffeepressed coffeewine listattention to detailmaster suitethe main housemy wife and igas fireplacecrab cakesvoss waterthe entire staffsilver traycorporate retreat
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We decided on extended weekend getaway for New Year’s Eve and knew that we wanted to return to the Inn at Willow Grove. I just can’t get enough of this place – this was my third visit to the Inn. It is truly a special place….the service is wonderful and the atmosphere is beautiful. The Vintage Restaurant onsite serves some of the finest food we have ever had, absolutely delicious. Our New Year’s Eve dinner was exceptional. Chef Daniels once again delivered flavorful dishes that were perfectly prepared. We enjoy the Inn so much that we are already planning our next visit!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
InnatWillowGrove, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn at Willow Grove, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

Thank you for sharing! We're excited to see you for visit number four!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

After sending an e-mail with questions for the inn 10 days earlier and receiving no response, I called the hotel. The woman I spoke with was shocked that no one had responded to my e-mail. She took the time to find it (surprising yet vindicating), and confirm no one had opened it. She put me on hold a few minutes, read it, then responded to all my questions while apologizing for the oversight. To be fair, it was during the Christmas holidays which was a busy time of year for them. After speaking with her, I decided to "blow the wad" and book the Master Suite. We were able to get a Winter Package rate, which was discounted from the normal rate of $525. Even so, the room was not inexpensive. Now...what did I love and what not so much?

I loved the decor. I'm studying interior design, and I can't stop myself from analyzing furniture placement, lighting, use of space, etc. This place is ascetically beautiful. It's a wonderful combination of contemporary and antiques. Nothing is too precious to touch, or so casual it's not appropriate. Only a few recommendations...the pillow in the bath tub is useless. The suction cups won't stick to the angle of the tub, and I tossed it on the floor. A small table is needed to use while in the tub to put a glass of wine or coffee on. I was scared the coffee cup was going to end up in the tub with me when I placed in on the rim of the tub. The gorgeous silk curtains in the bedroom don't close all the way, so morning light was an issue. While most of the lighting is unique and artistic, I'd replace the floor lamp behind the chaise. They make some really dramatic ones and the room is so glamourous, it aches for one of them.

Now for the awesome...the bed is sumptuous. You can't beat the linens. The sitting room is old Hollywood glam, and spot on for night time snacks brought by the butler or morning coffee. I loved the toiletries. I wanted to sneak all the soap home in my suitcase. Addition of the candle was excellent. I loved the smell, and it's location on the mantel (far away from things that could get marred by hot wax) was romantic. I really appreciated the area rug, a high pile shag. Every time I walk through it, my feet danced.

The service is top notch, but not for everyone. I admit that I'm more of a self serve girl, and I was apprehensive about having a butler. Why would I need a butler? But I learned to enjoy it. The butler brought us a night time snack each evening (gratis) and coffee with bingets (sp?) in the morning. THIS I could get used to:-) However, my husband doesn't like coffee, and where popping into a self serve kitchen to grab OJ or tea would have been easy, I had to find the butler to get it. Poor hubby. The room supplied wine glasses, but no wine opener. Orange county is rife with wineries, so it seems like one should have been in the room. I went downstairs to get one from the butler who brought it right away, but again self service would have been easier. I put the wine outside to chill as the room had no refrigerator and it was cold outside. Probably could have asked the butler to do it, but a fridge would have been easier for me. The butler was excellent about giving us recommendations, and tickets for free wine tastings at Bourbonville winery and Early Mountain Vineyards. Both were excellent.

I think there is a nightly something in the parlor, but I couldn't figure out what it was. In the end, it was hard for me to understand what was included, and what was extra. Because of that, perhaps I didn't make the best use of butler/amenities. And maybe if you have to ask, you can't afford it? A brochure or booklet explaining the amenities and prices in the bedroom would have been nice. Expect to tip the butler at the end of your stay. This was definitely an indulgence for my husband and I...we've never had a butler before so some guidance on tipping from the web site would have been helpful.

Overall, I was pleased with our stay. Next time, I'd like to stay in one of the more private out buildings...Weaver's Cottage is on my list :-)

Room Tip: Master Suite is beautiful with its private second story porch, but if you're a light sleeper the bustle of the main level down stairs may keep you up. Bring your own white noise maker. They don't have one in the room.
1  Thank mlmitchell30

Thank you for your thorough review. We appreciate your feedback and will use your suggestions to improve our guest experience in the future. As a student of interior design, you will love the Weaver's Cottage, which is a charming mix of modern and antique; however, if you are interested in being more "independent" during your stay, I suggest for your next visit you look into our new Overlook Cottage, slated to open in April, 2013. The Overlook suites will feature the same elegant, high-style as our other accommodations (with incredible Blue Ridge views) but with a small private kitchen and dining area so you can be more self-sufficient if you prefer. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Fantastic overnight getaway with a fine dining experience that is unrivaled in my travels about the Commonwealth. Kudos to the staff for a their pleasant, indulgent manner resulting in a delightful stay. We will be back for more of the same....

Room Tip: Looking for complete privacy - try one of the detached cottages, what the heck the butler is at your beckon call for anything you might need from the Manor House.....
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. We look forward to having you back for another indulgent stay!

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My wife and I spent our fifth anniversary here and everything was magnificent. Stayed in Old School House and were blown away with beauty of the Inn, the terrific service and outstanding food. The rooms are height of luxury from wonderful linens to heated marble floors.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MPMVa

Happy Anniversary! Thank you for choosing us to celebrate such a special occasion!

Reviewed December 31, 2012

As seasoned travelers, we have stayed in many wonderful places. We just spent two nights at The Inn at Willow Grove and it has moved to the "top" of our repeat destinations. The staff, the owners, the beautiful rooms, the delicious food . . . all great reasons to stay and dine here. Our room, The Loft, was very spacious and quiet. We felt like we were at home. Everyone goes above and beyond to make sure your every want or need is met. The staff became friends to us and we look forward to our next visit from North Carolina. You're the best!!

1  Thank Born2lovesnow

Thank you so much for your kind words!