“Very disappointing”
Review of Mercure Penrith

Mercure Penrith
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Penrith
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I was very disappointed in my stay at the Chifley Hotel. My visit was from the 10/12/12 until the 14/12/12. During this time reception staff were consistently rude and unwelcoming. Also the room televisions were slow and had limited television channels (no digital channels). When I wanted to check how much the "movies on demand" were I unwittingly purchased a movie, only to find out that the recent release movies were 14.95... Thinking I would be able to watch the movie I had purchased on another night, I was disappointed to realise that there must have been a time limit, when I phoned reception I was rudely informed that there was a 24hr limit to watching the movie. No apology was given. Perhaps the icing on the cake was when the room cleaner tried to walk into my room at 9am (1hr before final check out time) before I had checked out when I was still packing- luckily I had the chain on the door. This was followed by an embarrassed sorry from a maid who did not reappear. A very poor experience.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank traveller8025
Kristin C, General Manager at Mercure Penrith, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Good morning,

Thankyou for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay with us at Chifley Penrith. Here at the hotel we pride ourselves on making every guest's stay with us a memorable experience.

I am disappointed to hear we were not able to achieve this during your stay with us, and am particularly disappointed to hear that it was the easiest area to get right where we have not met your expectations - that is warm and friendly customer service. I will be speaking with the Reception and Housekeeping staff to remind them of their commitments to deliver top level service to our guests.

With regards to the TV and movies, our current setup has not allowed us to access the new Freeview channels. However, we will be changing this in early 2013 with all Freeview channels available, and movies that will be priced according to the market standards.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed here on Sunday night 9th December on a girls night out. The hotel was conveniently located next door to the Penrith Panthers Leagues Club. The gentlemen on the reception desk overnight we really friendly and helpful - nothing seemed to be a problem for them to make our stay enjoyable. The room we had (516) was very clean and well laid out. We had two double beds which were very firm and comfortable. The shower was hot and the water pressure was excellent. We ate at the Leagues club so I can't comment on the food at the hotel, however we were informed there was 24 hour room service available if required. There were tea and coffee making facilities or we had a choice from the minibar - $3.50 for a long neck, or two cans of coke for $3.00 which I thought were quite reasonable. I would definitely recommend this hotel both for price and convenience.

Room Tip: I would opt for two doubles (it was only $5.00 more per room) rather than a queen and single. Also...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Kristin C, General Manager at Mercure Penrith, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Good morning,

Thankyou for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay with us at Chifley Penrith. Here at the hotel we pride ourselves on delivering a meorable experience for every guest.

I am delighted to hear that you found your stay with us to be an enjoyable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed here because it was close to where my meeting was the next morning. The check in staff were rude and unhelpful, the room was basic and trying to find the breakfast was a 30 minute process. and it was not worth it - terrible all round. My advise stay somewhere else!!

Room Tip: dont have breakfast here
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank craigsmithdc
Kristin C, General Manager at Mercure Penrith, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Good morning,

Thankyou for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay withus at Chifley Penrith. Here at the hotel we pride ourselves on delivering a memorable experience for all of our guests.

I am disappointed to hear that we were not able to achieve this during your stay with us. I am very sorry to hear about your check in experience and I will be following this up with our Front Desk team.

With regards to breakfast, I am delighted to say that from Novbember 27th we will be providing a new alternative for our guests. This will be located in the new restaurant in the club, which is located right at the entry between the hotel and the club, and will provide a high quality buffet.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

It comes across as flashy but when you get to the room its down hill the bathroom tiles have been painted and the paint is peeling off, the bath was slippery and $30 for a sixpack really? would not recommend unless no where else and dear for what you get, the smoking room was above us so we found out latter and people up all night moving chairs around

Room Tip: stay away from lifts and smoking room
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kristin C, General Manager at Mercure Penrith, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Good afternoon,

Thankyou for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay with us at Chifley Penrith. Here at the hotel we take pride in making every guests experience a memorable one.

I am disappointed to hear we could not achieve this during your stay with us. We are currently looking at other options for our bathrooms that will provide a high quality finish. We are also now looking at the furniture up on the Level 5 courtyard and will ensure that we make the necessary modifications to ensure there is not a repeat of the disruption that you experienced during your time here.

We do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was my 3rd stay at the Chifley Penrith. There is not much choice around this area and my work requires me to be local when I am there. The rooms are clean and comfortable - nothing special but does the job. I found it strange there is no room service dinner - which is what you often want if you're on your own and very tired! You can order from a local resturant & have it delivered though. I do not recommend the local chinese. There is room service breakfast. The internet is expensive and very slow - if it works at all.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank lillystu
Kristin C, General Manager at Mercure Penrith, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Good afternoon,

Thankyou for taking the time to provide feedback from your most recent stay with us at Chifley Penrith. Here at the hotel we pride ourselves on making every guest's stay with us a memorable one.

I am pleased to hear that you have found your stays with us to be enjoyable thus far. With regards to the room service, this has come about due to the hotel lacking its own restauyrants, a legacy of teh previous ownership by the Leragues Club. We have engaged the local restaurants as they are more flexible to our needs, however we will look at the Chinese restaurant we use if the quality is not what is expected.

With regards to the internet, we are currently reviewing all options as our current agreement is about to end, and the new option will be much more cost effective and reliable.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your next stay.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

The facilities weren't great - there was hair on my pillow that did not belong to me. The hotel has a dated look, the bed was hard and overall it was very average.
The positives included easy access to a range of restaurants within the Panthers Club, and the price was fine.
We only stayed one night, which suited us, however, if we needed to stay for longer we probably wouldn't stay here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kristin C, General Manager at Mercure Penrith, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Good afternoon,

Thankyou for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay with us at Chifley Penrith. Here at the hotel we pride ourselves on providing our guests with a memorable experience.

I am sorry to hear we could not quite provide that for you on this occasion. We are currently soucing some mattress toppers and back boards for those who might find our bedding a little to hard or soft for their liking.

With regards to the rooms, we have refurbished a number of rooms, but still have some that we are hopeful of refurbishing in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed two nights recently with family and whilst impressed with size of room and very comfy beds, was a little bit dissapointed with reception. We were early and advised it was a 3pm check in but not in a friendy smiling manner, more like thats the rules, see ya later...No helpful hints on what to do for a few hours. Older woman at desk needs to learn she is in a service industry and a smile goes a long way. When my 2 daughters comment on it when we went outside shows me it was not just me who noticed her rudeness and abruptness..She could have advised us where local shops were, the Leagues Club next and what it had to offer, but Nothing as we had no idea as we are from Qld..!!. We did eat on site and it was lovely, so not all bad...

Room Tip: Ask for the family rooms - quite large
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve-70
Kristin C, General Manager at Mercure Penrith, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Good morning,

Thankyou for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay with us at Chifley Penrith. Here at the hotel we strive to make every guests stay with us a memorable one.

I am pleased to hear that the majority of your stay with us was enjoyable, and that you enjoyed the size of our family rooms, which do prove quite popular. I am disappointed to hear that your stay was somewhat soured by the poor service upon check in. I can assure you that this is not the standard we set for ourselves, and that I will be following this up with the staff member in question.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kristin Carville

Also consider these accommodations in or near Penrith
Quality Inn Penrith
ValueSuites
ValueSuites
#2 of 2 in Emu Plains
Ingenia Holidays Nepean River

Been to Mercure Penrith? Share your experiences!