Tripadvisor
Search

“Lunch”

Old Hartley Post Office Cafe
Ranked #3 of 6 Restaurants in Hartley
Description: We are a small family run cafe providing good home style cooking at a reasonable price.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Very friendly, nothing fancy but really nice home-made sandwiches and pies & best Devonshire Tea!!! We stopped en rout to Bathurst & were well fed & looked after...

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (47)

Reviewed November 7, 2019

I was there with the group with Susan L and agree with everything she says. My meal was also below average. The man's attitude was appalling and when she tried to reason with him while paying his response was: "I don't care." This person should not be in hospitality; I doubt he even knows what it means.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed November 7, 2019

On 7 Nov I was at this cafe for lunch as part of a group of 22 people. Because of the size of our group our group leader had pre-arranged our visit several days before and on the day prior to our visit all 22 of us had indicated their menu choices, as had
been requested by the cafe. Despite our pre-ordering I estimate that we all had to wait a MINIMUM of 30 minutes, in many cases longer, for our meals to be served. Several in our group had ordered a Ploughman's Lunch, some for 1 person and others a serving for 2. The only difference between
the 2 serve sizes apart from a much higher price for 2 people was a little extra bread in the serve meant for 2! Very poor value
for the serve for 2 people. However my real critisism of this cafe relates to the way a wait person ( male) treated one of our
group who had, with his wife, ordered a Ploughman's Lunch for 2. This couple were served quite sometime after I was and I had
ordered a hamburger ( which incidentally was quite ordinary, served on a stale bun with at best a lukewarm meat patty and
lukewarm chips). I would have thought with our pre-ordering that a Ploughman's Lunch would have been very easy to serve quite
promptly after our arrival. When it was finally served the chap it was served to made comment about the significant wait for
his meal as he is a diabetic who had given himself his insulin injection after arriving at the cafe expecting his meal to
follow shortly therafter. The wait person's response was to angrily throw the meal onto the table,with much of the meal falling off
the serving platter onto the table!!! I have eaten in many cafes and restaurants both in Australia and in many other parts
of the world and NEVER seen such poor behaviour from a cafe/ restaurant staff member. After I paid for my meal I spoke to
the staff member concerned saying how unimpressed I was with his angry outburst and most unprofessional behaviour. He was
in NO WAY apologetic and in fact stated that he felt the CUSTOMER should apologise!!!
I am still upset about witnessing this poor 'customer' service. Sadly I feel that this man will never understand that he actually works in the HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY
so if my advice to him is if he can't change his attitude I suggest he looks for
work elsewhere but not in any sort of SERVICE industry. I would choose to give this cafe no a 'no stars' or even a minus
rating however the least I can give it is one star, and belive me that is being generous!!

Date of visit: November 2019
1  Thank Susan L
148nicholasa, Owner at Old Hartley Post Office Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2019

I would like to say as the owner of this business and the person you are referring to, some of the members of your group we’re the rudest people we have had the misfortune to have had in our cafe and I am glad you won’t be coming back.
The fact that you arrived almost an hour late and expected your food to be ready the instant you arrived says it all really. If you had looked around you you may have noticed that your group took up the whole of the dining room in our small family run cafe and stretched the kitchen staff to there limits.
Some of our regular customers had to wait while we served your group and were happy to do so and
there were no complaints from them.
We will be thinking about weather we accept bookings for bus groups again.

Reviewed September 11, 2019 via mobile

Good selection of food on the menu. We enjoyed a pot pie (2 choices for the filling) and shared a Devonshire tea. I definitely recommend saving room for scones - they were so good! Also happy we could get lunch at 3pm on a week day after visiting Jenolan caves. Staff were friendly and enjoyed sitting on the verandah. Beautiful spot and nice coffees too!

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed September 7, 2019

From the dusty old artificial flowers on the table to the awfully stale carrot and sultana cake sold for $7.50 a slice, this place is an embarrassment to Australian tourism. I don't know how people have given it good reviews. The inside atmosphere was very unappealing and I didn't see a smile from anyone serving. When my partner was given his cappuccino the waiter realised he had brought the wrong order to our table. He then whisked away the cappuccino (which my partner had already stirred) and rather than making a fresh one, he gave it to the neighbouring table! I couldn't believe it! If it was untouched, fair enough but when a guest has taken the drink served to him and put a spoon into it, you do not serve it up to another guest.

Date of visit: September 2019