“Better than Expected”

Featherdale Wildlife Park General Entry Ticket
Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Blacktown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Featherdale Wildlife Park is Sydney's ultimate hands-on wildlife experience! We're located just 45 minutes drive from Sydney and en-route to the world famous Blue Mountains. With over 1,700 mammals, birds and reptiles, our comprehensive collection of Australian species awaits your visit. You can meet a Koala, feed the Kangaroos and Wallabies, admire the size of our enormous Saltwater Crocodile "Ngukkur" and loads more! There's a Kitchen and Cafe on site with an abundance of great food and beverage choices for the whole family, and a HUGE retail store for you to find the ultimate keepsake from your trip to Featherdale! We also offer FREE WIFI to visitors throughout the main facilities in the park. There is FREE onsite vehicle parking and we're easily accessible by public transportation. Simply catch a train to Blacktown and board Bus #729 to Featherdale.
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Better than Expected”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

First impressions is that this is a rather tired and run down feature. It proved to be more than that. Wide range of wildlife, albeit often in rather confined quarters, but it was pointed out that many of these are "rescued" animals etc. Able to get up close to quite a variety. Plenty to keep one occupied. Visited as part of a package deal.

Visited December 2013
Kellie A, Manager at Featherdale Wildlife Park, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Hi Rod E,

Thank you for visiting Featherdale during your trip to Sydney and its great to see you enjoyed your experience.

Whilst some of our animals are 'rescued' animals which cannot not be released back into the wild, I would like to reassure you that we do follow strict animal welfare guidelines with regards to enclosure/aviary size so that the welfare of all of the animals in our care are maintained at the highest level.

Once again, thank you for visiting our animals at Featherdale and we hope to welcome you back again.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Definitely worth going!”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

The visit was part of the Blue Mountain tour and I am glad that I went! At Featherdale I got really up close with the animals, and I could get a $1 cone to feed the kangaroos! Not the best facilities there but it's worth a visit if you are going to blue mountain.

1 Thank 2xshi
Hi 2xshi,

It's great to see that you were able to visit Featherdale as part of your Blue Mountains Tour. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we hope to welcome you back for a longer visit next time.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Nothing more than a zoo”
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Animals in cages, most of them too small. Average zoo, not worth the travel and the cost of ticket (28$).
Not recommended, go to Taronga zoo instead.

4 Thank Criticcuisine
Hi Criticcuisine,

Thank you for your feedback and I apologise if you were under the impression that Featherdale is a free-range animal park. Whilst we have a variety of free roaming animals such as Wallabies, Emus and Kangaroos we do house many dangerous species such as Tasmanian Devils, Dingoes, a Saltwater Crocodile and birds of prey which must be housed in enclosures. I would like to reassure you that we follow strict animal welfare guidelines with regards to all enclosures and aviaries and that the welfare and happiness of the animals in our care is our top priority.

Once again, thank you for your feed back. It helps us to find ways of providing a more enjoyable and memorable visitor experience.
Worcester UK
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Loved interaction with the animals”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Featherdale is definitely the place to go if you want to get up close and personal with Australian wildlife. The Emus, Kangaroos and Wallabies are free to wander round and you can also buy food and hand feed them (they seem to like the sugar cones more than the grass that comes in them, lol)
The price is very reasonable and the animals seem clean and cared for (though the aviaries were a bit on the small side)
We got pictures with all the animals including right next to a Koala and really enjoyed our visit.

2 Thank NicolaWhit
Hi NicolaWhit,

Its great to see you enjoyed your visit to Featherdale and thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We aim to make the Park as interactive as possible for visitors whilst always keeping the welfare of the animals in our care, our top priority. Once again thank you and we hope to welcome you back to Featherdale during your next visit to Australia.
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Inadequate habitat for animals, steer clear if you are an animal lover.”
Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

I visited Featherdale earlier this week as part of an excursion to the Blue Mountains. I was really looking forward to visiting as I thought as it is described as a wildlife park, the animals would be free to wander and in their natural environment. What I found instead was nothing more than a zoo, and a very poor quality one too.

Upon arrival I was met by the sight of caged animals, wombats walking in circles in their cages (perhaps out of boredom and frustration), emus behind high fences, and an overbearing stench of urine. Further down the path there were a couple of lovely small Tawny Frogmouth owls being passed around like toys.
I then spotted a queue of people waiting to meet a Koala. I joined the queue but immediately regretted doing so, I have never seen a wild Koala or one in captivity but I was left feeling sad about the whole experience. The poor thing was sat on a rotating log attached to the ground, every time it tried to get down from the log it was simply pushed back down by a member of staff, if it turned it's back on the queue then the log was rotated. It was obvious the Koala was unhappy, and was being exploited.

After this I continued my walk through the 'park' and entered an enclosure with Kangaroos, the Kangaroos were domesticated and happy to be fed by humans, For the amount of Kangaroos in the enclosure there was not an adequate amount of space, unfortunately this theme continued throughout the park.

The birds were going mad biting the thick wire of their cages, the emus were walking in circles, the Eagles with a wing span of 2.5m were housed in a tiny aviary....it was a disgrace. I was particularly distressed at the sight of the Crocodile that was housed in a particularly small enclosure, it flopped in a pool only a tiny bit bigger than itself, looking docile and depressed.

Throughout my walk through the park I didn't see any staff watching the visitors and checking on the animals welfare. I would be interested to hear why these animals are in captivity?

It speaks volumes that the gift shop is larger than any of the animals enclosures.

AVOID!!!!!

8 Thank Jo B
Dear Jo B,

We are very sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your visit to Featherdale. I think perhaps you were expecting what we would call an “Open Range Zoo” rather than a Wildlife Park. Whilst you felt our animals were unhappy and unloved, we would like to remind you that every one of our staff works in this industry because they have a strong love for animals and we work diligently every day to ensure their health and well being. All of our enclosures meet the relevant Standards for Exhibiting Animals in New South Wales, and we are strongly regulated by the authorities to ensure our animals are happy and healthy. The Koalas you mention are much loved and are displayed on a rotating perch because this is the least stressful way for them. Often they are so unstressed by sitting up there that they go to sleep and we do not want to disturb them for visitors to get a photo – so we just rotate the perch slowly to maximise the photo op – and they can remain happily sleeping away. If the Koala you saw was moving around a bit, it was more than likely because it wanted some more Eucalyptus leaves to eat rather than it being stressed.

Many of our animals were born in captivity or have come to us because they have an injured wing and cannot fly properly. You may have noticed some of our aviaries have ramps for those birds that cannot fly. Our Sea Eagle is just one example of a flightless bird that uses a ramp to get around.

We appreciate your feedback, and I especially note that you said you did not see any staff during your visit. I am following up on this point, as our keeping staff are sent around the park regularly to check on everything, so if this was not the case we will be making sure it is in the future.

Thanks again for your response, I hope you find other things in Sydney that you enjoy.