“Great fun”

Private Blue Mountains Insider Tour from Sydney
Ranked #1 of 25 things to do in Blacktown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Featherdale Wildlife Park is Sydney's ultimate hands-on wildlife experience! We're located just 45 minutes drive from Sydney and en-route to the world famous Blue Mountains. With over 1,700 mammals, birds and reptiles, our comprehensive collection of Australian species awaits your visit. You can meet a Koala, feed the Kangaroos and Wallabies, admire the size of our enormous Saltwater Crocodile "Ngukkur" and loads more! There's a Kitchen and Cafe on site with an abundance of great food and beverage choices for the whole family, and a HUGE retail store for you to find the ultimate keepsake from your trip to Featherdale! We also offer FREE WIFI to visitors throughout the main facilities in the park. There is FREE onsite vehicle parking and we're easily accessible by public transportation. Simply catch a train to Blacktown and board Bus #729 to Featherdale.
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great fun”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stopped in at Featherdale on a Blue Mountains bus tour. After visiting Taronga Zoo and Paul's Place on Kangaroo Island I thought maybe my daughter had maxed out on wildlife experiences, but Featherdale ended up being one of the highlights of her vacation. When I bought the first of 6 grass cones she found a mama wallaby with its joey in the pouch and she was overjoyed to feed and pet them both. She's still talking about how cute that was. We also got to see some animals we hadn't seen anywhere else. We were in a hurry as the tour company only allowed us a hour to visit, but she said she wants to come back some day to spend more time.

Visited September 2013

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Fun for adults too”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We chose this attraction over a similar Koala encounter experience and were glad we did. I can't fairly say it was better than the other place without having experienced both but we very much enjoyed our experience at Featherdale.

Let me start with the most important points for readers with short attention spans. Their website gives directions how to get there via public transportation. We rented a car in Sydney and drove. Having seen how far outside town it is and how difficult to get to even with a GPS, I cannot imagine how public transportation would be anything but a nightmare. By car though it was an easy one hour drive. I would highly recommend combining the experience with an excursion to the Blue Mountains which is just an hour further down the same highway.

About the park, where you first enter, Swap Wallaby (animals that look like baby kangaroos) roam freely. We were able to pet them, rub their ears and even scratch under their neck. Biting animals like Wombats, Dingos, and Tasmanaian Devils were in cages of course but Golden Pheasants, Emus and red and black kangaroos had free run of the place.

The Preserve was bird-heavy with numerous displays ranging from Australian Pelicans (much large and more beautiful than American Pelicans with much smaller bills) to Cockatoos to Parakeets to majestic Brahminy Kite which look like miniature Bald Eagles. Most of the birds were in aviaries although many had free run of the park apparently hanging around voluntarily for the free food.

There were numerous Koalas in cages and one sleeping Koala on display that you could take a photo with. We were able to pet it and pose with it. We could get so close that at one point I touched my nose to his without waking him up.

There was an open air display of Short-beaked Echinda that look like miniature porcupines, fox bats, and a massive eighteen foot long salt water crocodile. There was a reptile display with dragon like Sand Goanna and several different kinds of snakes such as the Centralian Carpet Python.

I was even pleased with the concessions. The park is in the middle of nowhere. You have no other food choices if you get hungry at the park and they could use the opportunity to gouge you but the food prices were only slightly higher than in Sydney. Our burger and fries weren't a culinary experience to write about but fit the bill to cure our hunger.

The gift shop was only slightly overpriced and had a wide selection of shirts, trinkets, and even bomerangs.

The entry fee is a high but so is everything in Sydney. I believe it was less than the animal encounter down in Darling Harbor which is part of the whole Aqarium/Maddam Tussades Wax Musuem/Sydney Eye touristy stuff unless you buy the multi-attraction ticket in which case you're 3rd and 4th entry starts becoming economical.

I would recommend Featherdale, especially as part of a further outing to the mountains.

3 Thank TheAviatorTim
Los Altos, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun for all ages!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I took my parents (who are in their 60's) here on our way out to the Blue Mountains. We all had a blast! My mom and I both bought hay cones to feed the kangaroos, and we all got to pet a koala. I think the highlight of the day (and one of the highlights of our trip so far) for my mom was getting to pet some of the kangaroos and wallabies. She keeps comparing one wallaby to a cat who just wants you to pet it non-stop. All of us were also amazed by the number and assortment of different animals they had. There is some repetition of animals in different sections of the zoo, but I never thought it would have held as many animals as it did. Also, the keepers were really nice. One pointed out some baby koalas to us that we had previously missed. She also offered to take a picture for us of one that was hiding and enticed the mother koalas to turn around so we could see the babies. This is definitely a place that you do not want to miss if you are around Sydney or if you have some time and are headed to the Blue Mountains.

Seven Hills
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Get up close & personal with Koalas & Kangaroos”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

What a perfect way for oversees visitors to see our beautiful wildlife! This park is beautifully laid out, not too large and flat walking which makes it easy to get around. You can feed kangaroos and wallabies and have your photo taken with a koala, using your own camera so that there is no extra fee involved.
There are echidnas, Tasmanian devils, wombats, quokkas, potoroos, penguins and a crocodile to name but a few. Not to mention our beautiful bird life! I have never seen so many koalas in one place and make sure you keep an eye out for the albino wallabies! This is definitely a great place to visit
The animals are all healthy and in good condition and the exhibits are designed so that it is easy to view the animals. The staff are friendly and happy to answer any questions you may have.
There is a café and also a picnic area with barbeques.
There is ample parking available. And is also accessible via the train or bus.
Definitely a "must see" if you want an up close and personal look at Australian wildlife!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank MrsWendyP
Auckland Region, New Zealand
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Featherdale Wildlife Park.”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This place is great if you want to get right among the animals. It is not cheap and quite a long way from Sydney City but you can get up close and pat many of the Australian native animals. There is a huge variety of birds as well. I thought some of these big birds of prey were in cages that were too small for their wingspan, and felt uncomfortable for them. We were able to pat a koala without having to pay extra. It is not a huge place and you can easily see it all in a couple f hours, with plenty of time to interact with lots of animals.

1 Thank punkingirl2013