“Wonderful hands on experience”

Featherdale Wildlife Park
Featherdale Wildlife Park General Entry Ticket
Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Blacktown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Featherdale Wildlife Park is Sydney's ultimate hands-on wildlife experience! We're located just 45 minutes drive from Sydney and en-route to the world famous Blue Mountains. With over 1,700 mammals, birds and reptiles, our comprehensive collection of Australian species awaits your visit. You can meet a Koala, feed the Kangaroos and Wallabies, admire the size of our enormous Saltwater Crocodile "Ngukkur" and loads more! There's a Kitchen and Cafe on site with an abundance of great food and beverage choices for the whole family, and a HUGE retail store for you to find the ultimate keepsake from your trip to Featherdale! We also offer FREE WIFI to visitors throughout the main facilities in the park. There is FREE onsite vehicle parking and we're easily accessible by public transportation. Simply catch a train to Blacktown and board Bus #729 to Featherdale.
Sydney, Australia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Wonderful hands on experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is an amazing place. So many different types of colourful birds, and native Australian animals.All quite friendly as most are hand reared, or rescue animals.
So we even got to lean over and "pat" an echidna!!
In some areas, kangaroos, wallabies and emus are roaming free, so you can pat them, and also Koala holding and patting is available, for free!
I highly recommend this delightful place, as you can see that the creatures are all happy, and very well cared for, and such a large variety of creatures, all native to Australia.
Don't miss this !

• Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Walk Amongst the Kangaroos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

It was a fantastic experience. We got to walk along the patway and see the animals. The kangaroos are let loose and you have one hoping front, back and around you. Awesome experience. Emu's are loose as well. You get to touch and take pictures with them. Koals - you get to touch and take pictures but advised not to hug them by the caretaker as the have long nails and will scratch if they become uneasy.

Visited February 2013
New England
234 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 440 helpful votes
“Interactive Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

We very much enjoyed our visit to Featherdale, in conjunction with a Blue Mountain day tour. We loved that we were able to walk amongst free roaming kangaroos and emus, who were very eager to eat the for purchase kibble! We loved that we were able to interact closely with a koala, petting it without being rushed, able to take many photos. All of the animals and birds are indigenous. Though the animals are in natural habitats, their habitats are not so huge that we couldn't see them, making the visit highly enjoyable and memorable.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank lexmiller
Austin, TX
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Surprisingly Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I had a goal: I wanted to touch a koala. Normally I pass by things like "swim with the dolphins" or "hold a REAL monkey" but I'd wanted to touch one since I was a kid. I'm in Sydney for work, and someone mentioned Featherdale.

Being a private reserve in a residential area, I had pretty low expectations. When I saw that the admission price was $27 (Sydney zoo is $45; Opera House Tour is almost $50; this seemed too cheap) I had low expectations combined with the looming sense I'd be gouged along the way.

An easy train + bus ride and I was there. The place is small, but I loved that all of the animals are indigenous to Australia (and indeed I'd seen some of the birds around parks). The place is almost totally birds + kangaroos/wallabies/koalas (but not totally).

As others have ascertained, there are penned-in areas you can pet the wallabies. They are totally tame. Likewise, they have two koala "stations" where the animals do 15-minute or so shifts so people can take a photo and get a gentle pet in. Handlers are omnipresent to ensure the animals are OK. The 'roos have spots that are easy for them to get to but off-limits to humans so that they can chill out. I saw absolutely positively no evidence that any animal was stressed or in a bad situation. Many of the animals were seeking people out for attention.

I got to pet a koala! Even though it was Saturday the line never had more than 5 people in it for a photo op; I was never rushed. I went round and round in the line. Even better: NO GOUGING. I kept waiting for "and for just $20 you can have a photo op with a koala" or "no cameras, please - buy one of our photos". Nope. Not a single thing. Even the food/drink prices were comparable to fast food or convenience stores. Finally, the gift shop - while filled with totally predictable stuff - was likewise rationally priced (T-shirts for between $15 and $25, for example).

This was a surprisingly fun day and great place to visit. You can take it in entirely in just a few hours, including multiple loops to visit the koalas. Recommended.

Visited February 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Disappointing visit, cramped conditions”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I was surprised to find a wildlife park in a residential area,I was expecting a park covering 20 -30 acres. The 1st enclosure has kangaroos where you can stroke them, there would be about 20 people all trying to stroke a kangaroo, surely this would stress them, I certainly had misgivings about this.
You could get very close to a lot of the animals there didn't seem to be much protection/camouflage available for them. I felt all the cages/ pens were very small , in particular the dingos, these animals will run perhaps 10 - 20 miles a day in the bush, here they are kept in a cage approx 15m x 15 m. Unless they have access to a much larger run, but i didnt see it. I presume there are legal requirements for the area sizes that animals are kept in, but I left feeling very sorry for the animals.
As a footnote the gift shop was huge perhaps that is the managements priority.

1 Thank Jessie2907