“second visit in two years and still delicious”
Review of Margan Restaurant

Margan Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Broke
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Part of the Margan Vineyard, Broke, NSW, Australia
sydney
“second visit in two years and still delicious”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The risotto was amazing . Service was prompt . Try and be seated outside for lunch as its a lovely aspect. Vegetable are fresh and grown on site.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank hellio22

Sydney
“Fantastic”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We had lunch here and the food and service was superb. Have to book can't just turn up on a weekend. The evening tasting menu looked good on the evening menu will try that next time. Wine was excellent too. Do the wine tasting first then go and eat and chose the wine you liked.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Trudi_Jane
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We were very much looking forward to our Sunday lunch at Margan's and the prompt provision of menus, water and a wine list added to our expectations.

I ordered the duck breast for an entree as it was a cold day and this seemed like tasty winter comfort food. It was tasty but I was disappointed that it was only lukewarm. I mentioned this to our waitress who responded that it is not meant to be hot. Despite my obvious disappointment, no offer was made to "give the customers what they want". One minute in a microwave would have made a world of difference but it seems this is regarded as sacreligious in the same way that most French regard screw-top wine....and it is just as silly and prejudiced.

My wife is vegetarian and is wary of risottos as they are often nothing more than a "vego cop out" so that management can claim that they have veg. food. However based on a recent comment, that the mushroom risotto "is to die for", she felt confident that would be something special. Well, it was "special" all right as it was possibly the worst value dish that we have ever ordered. Glutinous, rice with a few precious mushrooms for......$34!! Hello? Did someone see us coming? If this 'is die for' then life is a scam. The dish brought to mind recent comments made in a newspaper about many Sydney restaurants "....for your vego patrons all you can be bothered with is high-glycaemic carbohydrates with a few random plant bits tossed over the top."

I ordered the skate for a main and whilst it was very tasty and well presented, the food on the plate was meagre and charging $36 just ridiculous.

On the plus side, the service was generally very good and the wine very reasonably priced but we won't be dining here again anytime soon.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank Lexus51
“Sensational Food”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This multi-award winning restaurant in the Hunter Valley is definitely worth a visit if you love great food, good service and a convivial atmosphere. They have a one acre kitchen garden which produces almost all of their fruit, herbs and vegetables. Six of us had lunch there one Sunday after spending a weekend in the Hunter Valley - it was the last stop on our way back to Sydney and for me was the highlight of a wonderful weekend. We all raved about our food, for me, the risotto of seasonal mushrooms - to die for, just wish there was a little more of it. For others it was the duck and the fish, which was stingray! The wine was very nice too and only about $4 more than the cellar price which was good value as other restaurants had charged double! I am absolutely coming back.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Evc412
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the best lunch experiences I've had!”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I took a group of 17 girls (all 23 years old) to Margan Restaurant for a lunch at the end of May. The food, and the service, was impeccable.

We were loud, noisy, and most likely a very frustrating table to serve, however the waitresses didn't once break a smile. Food and drinks were served on time, and constantly. The main waitress (I think her name was Dee) continued to ask how she could assist me and even offered to talk to our grumpy bus driver who was waiting outside rather than me having to leave the table.

I thought the whole lunch was very decently priced considering the absolutely fantastic quality of the food. We had the Autumn set menu, it was delicious and there were plenty of options for all of my friends.

Overall, I would HIGHLY recommend Margan restaurant and will be returning next time I visit the Hunter Valley!

• Visited May 2013