“great inexpensive hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Tennessee
“great inexpensive hotel”
Reviewed March 9, 2012

We stay here with family members who had come for a funeral. I thought that it was a great hotel for the price. I was readying other reviews but I did not notice the musty smell. I do know that they tried to make out stay very accommodating. Breakfast I thought was good. Instead of waffles they had pancakes made like the waffles. Our air conditioner worked fine. We had a room that had a room that opened up into our daughters room which made it very convenient.
I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I checked in for a one night stay and paid the price for a "suite". The suites are not really suites at all. Upon entry, the room was very hot, the AC/heat unit was switched to off.

The room does contain a wetbar area that has a dorm room fridge and microwave. The fridge was set at the warmest setting and the things I put in it were colder than the fridge itself. It took all night and into the morning to cool anything.
The microwave had a replacement glass tray that did not fit that model, the cups warming in it tipped over when the misfit plate began turning. The wetbar sink did not fit into the countertop well, and the plug for the microwave was not up to code, as it was placed 12 inches above the wetbar sink and not on a GFI circuit.
The hotel pool is exterior, not heated, and closed when we stayed. The ice machine on the second floor was disguistingly dirty. The carpets in the second floor hallway and our room were very dirty.

My 2 year old managed to find a broken outlet cover and stuck his fingers into the wall outlet.

I did a bit of research after staying here and found that this hotel is owned by a foreign corporation. A lot of chain hotels in Tenn. and Ky. have the same sort of ownership. It appears that these Indian, Pakistani, and other middle eastern owners prefer to take profits rather put any of them into revelant upkeep on their hotels.

This has been my experience in quite a number of these similar hotels in this area. To confirm my findings, the "manager" of the hotel was present...his name was Hanji or something like that...he spoke accented and broken English and really did not care what I had to say. It was very clear that he was from India.

Bottom line, better to stay closer to Chattanooga at a newer property.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel closer to Chattanooga
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank acey2000
Nashville
Reviewed September 26, 2011

This hotel was clean and bright. I agree with some of the other reviewers about the rooms seeming a little musty, but the hotel was very obviously aware of this with air fresheners everywhere--so at least they are trying. The pool was closed so we couldnt use it. There is a fitness center with a treadmill and an elliptical. The morning breakfast was plentiful, but not very good.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed August 6, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for an overnight stop on our way home from vacation. This is new hotel that was well maintained. It is located very close the interstate and is easy to find. It is in a mixed business and residential neighborhood. There is a very large, well lit fireworks stand nearby and we were fortunate that our room was on the opposite of the building of the stand and the highway. At check in, the front desk staff was very friendly and efficient. When a different guest came to report a spill in the hallway, one of the attendants quickly left to clean it. We had a room with two queen beds and it was a clean, well maintained room. Eventhough it was close to the exit to the pool, we did not hear kids running in the halls or playing in the pool. The only problem we experienced with the stay was the air conditioner which did not efficiently de-humidify (condition) the room. It did keep it cool, but it felt muggy. The morning desk clerk informed us that since our room was close to the pool, the air conditioner doesn't work as well. I found that to be a somewhat poor excuse, but she was pleasant and apologized. The breakfast was crowded and some guests had to take their food back to their rooms. This isn't, necessarily, the hotel's fault, because the hotel was near capacity and families with small children aren't the most efficent or considerate diners. I'm sure that week-day business travelers have a more orderly experience. The staffer working the breakfast bar worked very hard to keep everything filled and clean. It receives a grade of "B" instead of "A" solely because of our room's air conditioner. At breakfast we asked other guests if they had the same experience and they reported that their A/C units worked fine, so our experience was unique. If it wasn't, then this hotel would have recieved a "B Minus" or "C+".

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side of the highway, on the 3rd floor or higher, and away from the ic...
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Well run hotel. Clean, comfy beds & friendly staff. King room had fridge, micro & coffee maker. Pool to relax in. Good breakfast items. Management very accomodating. The printer on the guest computer ran out of ink. I was invited to use the Manager's printer for my boarding pass. Make sure you have a meal @ Stevarino's Italian Restaurant, 10 min from the hotel. Oh so good! It is in South Pittsburg (no h) home of the south pittsburg pirates - high school team. Black & orange are their colors. If you are from Pittsburgh, you will see other familiar references @ the restaurant.

Jefferson City, Missouri
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Stayed here with our son and his family. Desk clerk was friendly and helpful. Room was clean and quiet and beds were comfortable. The breakfast was very tasty with a nice variety. We stayed here during a hot spell and the outdoor pool was wall to wall with people. I nearly got washed out of the pool when three chubby girls created a Tsumami when they staged a cannonball contest.

South Mississippi
Reviewed July 21, 2011

I would certainly hate to stay at #2! My review about this motel is somewhat twisted. The motel itself has a nice atmosphere. Upon arriving I discovered that I had already been checked in. Now how this happened without my signature is beyond. What happened is the person who confirmed my reservation accidentally placed me as checking in on the same day that I made my reservation. I spoke to numerous clerks at this motel in an attempt to have this charge removed and none of them had the authority. I had to eventually get the manager at another HIE and Priority Club involved. The motel made an effort to rectify the situation but it was not to my satisfaction. I now, through the company I work with, will be traveling in this area often. However, I must say that I will not be staying at this location again. There are simply too many motels that need your business rather than want it. This property is thriving on the publics lack of choices. Do yourself a favor and drive the extra 30 miles. BTW, even though the initial appearance of the motel is nice, judge for yourself by the oder of the rooms when you get inside.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kimball
Hampton Inn Kimball
Super 8 - Monteagle TN
Super 8 - Monteagle TN
#1 of 6 in Monteagle
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Chattanooga-Lookout Mountain

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kimball? Share your experiences!