“Best casual choice in Kaanapali”

Hula Grill Kaanapali
Reserve with OpenTable
Hula Grill Kaanapali is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 9 Restaurants in Ka'anapali
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hwy 30
Transit: Maui bus stops right in front Whalers Village every hour!
Description: On the water's edge on Kaanapali Beach, Hula Grill offers a stunning view of the Pacific and of the islands of Lanai and Molokai that has to be seen to be believed. From this distinctly Hawaiian vantage point, you are invited to join us as we celebrate the hospitality, culture and cuisine of the islands. Dinner is served in our open-air dining room where you can relax in the ambiance of a plantation era beach house while enjoying renown chef Peter Merriman's Hawaii regional seafood that isn't only a favorite of vacationers, but locals, too. Hawaiian fresh fish and locally grown produce are combined to create amazing menu offerings that are as colorful as they are flavorful. Fiery sunsets are served up daily along with live Hawaiian entertainment. Our Barefoot Bar offers a more casual menu serving both lunch and dinner under authentic thatch roof umbrellas and a sand floor where you can sink your toes in. The Barefoot Bar is seated on a walk-in basis only.
Reviewed March 16, 2014

The Hula Grill delivers nearly every time. Great management and great service, combined with very good food. Ironicallly both Hula Grill and Leilani's have the same owners I'm told, so they have the corner on the restaurants in the heart of Kaanapali. You can choose the finer dining inside, or the casual dining outside. Or do what we did, and try to get one of the handful of tablets in between, next to the dining counter, where you can order off either menu. If you sit at the counter or near it, it's like being in the audience of a Food Network show. You get to watch the inner workings of the kitchen up close and personal. The food is delicious. We had the fresh fish, the Mahi Mahi, and the Kahlua Pork pizza which was out of this world. The service was very good. The waiters seemed to do their best to take a personal interest in us when time permitted. The live music nightly on the sandy beach out front is usually among the best in the area. I've eaten here many times and never been dissapointed in anything except for the wait times, which can be very long. They are packed much of the day. If you can eat a late dinner (9pm), the place eventually clears out later at night.

There are newer reviews for Hula Grill Kaanapali

Reviewed March 15, 2014

The food here is delicious but you need to order a few dishes per person as the serves are on the smaller side.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Hula Grill is very nice inside, and it's right on the beach front so it's a nice spot to eat. The service is good, although I don't feel like I want every single dish explained to me in detail, but our server was still very friendly and as with all restaurants here the food service is rapid, almost too rapid actually, with my having only just finished my starter when my main is brought straight out, I'd like a minute to digest please! The food was quite tasty, but I feel over priced for what it was and my wife had a cocktail which was not good. Over all Hula Grill was ok, and if you're staying on Kaanapali then you may as we'll try it out, it's not like there is a wealth of good restaurants here, but if choosing between here and Leilani's on the beach which is next door, then go to Leilani's.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Well we ate there 3 times on our recent trip. We were staying down the beach and it is a good close option. We honestly went the third time because my daughter loved the shrimp scampi on the kids menu.
The food was okay. We had a pizza on one visit and I had the fish tacos on another visit. They were fine. Not terrible but not super flavorful. The Mai Tai's are yummy. You really go there for the view at sunset and just to eat outside. When you come from Michigan, it's a great place. It;s in Whaler's Village which is a nice place at night to walk around in because you WILL wait if you come after 5! We waiting an hour and a half because we wanted to sit outside. A bit ridiculous but you can shop while you wait!

Reviewed March 13, 2014

We had a great server, Kayla, but unfortunately her service was the best part. The food was not bad, it was decent to good. We had the special and the tuna. The tuna was good and the kale it was served with was also good. The special was ok, but the portions were small as fish/cost goes. In addition the sauce with one of the two kinds of fish was not a ideal pairing. We also had the garlic ramen side.....avoid it.
This to me was just an average fish joint. Not one to avoid, but don't set super high expectations.