“Wonderful food”

Hula Grill Kaanapali
Reserve with OpenTable
Hula Grill Kaanapali is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 9 Restaurants in Ka'anapali
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hwy 30
Transit: Maui bus stops right in front Whalers Village every hour!
Description: On the water's edge on Kaanapali Beach, Hula Grill offers a stunning view of the Pacific and of the islands of Lanai and Molokai that has to be seen to be believed. From this distinctly Hawaiian vantage point, you are invited to join us as we celebrate the hospitality, culture and cuisine of the islands. Dinner is served in our open-air dining room where you can relax in the ambiance of a plantation era beach house while enjoying renown chef Peter Merriman's Hawaii regional seafood that isn't only a favorite of vacationers, but locals, too. Hawaiian fresh fish and locally grown produce are combined to create amazing menu offerings that are as colorful as they are flavorful. Fiery sunsets are served up daily along with live Hawaiian entertainment. Our Barefoot Bar offers a more casual menu serving both lunch and dinner under authentic thatch roof umbrellas and a sand floor where you can sink your toes in. The Barefoot Bar is seated on a walk-in basis only.
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Love the location and we ate in the dining room part this time but I have eaten in the barefoot bar area too. Food is always good and the location and open air dining are always a plus.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,911)

Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

We did not have reservations and walked up at 8:30pm expecting maybe a short wait. We were asked if we wanted burgers or fish? It depends as there are essentially 2 restaurants under one roof apparently. There was a wait so we elected for the Fish side, as that was the shorter of the two wait times and she said it would be at least half an hour even though there were plenty of open tables. We were given a buzzer and within 2 minutes it went off. Anyway, we were sat away from the beach which must be the burger side which was fine. Staff was courteous but seemed to want to rush us a bit. We ordered two steak offerings which were good size New York strips and I had a special fish offering, recommended by the waitress. She recommended the cerviche appetizer as well which was a little different than I am used to as it has coconut milk and some type of fish, no other sea food. It was just average. My issue was that the main course also had the same side of cerviche (only difference is that it was in a coconut half and had sea weed in it ) which if I would have been told that, I would not have ordered the recommended appetizer. The grilled fish I did get with the special was good, two different types, small portions, which was fine as I was not super hungry but if I had been it would have been disappointing. The prices are not cheap, so we expected more value from the fish, but the steaks were very good size and on par with the price. Relatively uneventful meal and ambiance. Would pick another place next time, but it was not a bad place either.

Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Cannot go wrong! Where else can you sit on the beach, feet in the sand, listening to wonderful Hawaiian music, eating delicious fresh fish and feeling the aloha spirit?!

1  Thank LMKP25
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We had a party of 11 and Hula Grill did a great job accommodating us. We were celebrating my oldest son's pending graduation from high school. We were seated in a private area with a library like decor. The service was excellent as well as the food. The fish was excellent and my father in law said it was the best he had while in Hawaii. My sons had various cuts of beef and they too enjoyed it. Try the hula grill and you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank DLCB
Reviewed March 8, 2014

One might expect that on a - albeit rare night of -teeming rain in Maui, tourists might stay in but here at the Hula Grill, it's business as usual. Arriving just 15 minutes early and we must wait for our reservation time. We are seated far from the rain and begin a terrific evening. The bread they bring is hot and particularly delicious baked in a waffle shape along with a hot pepper sauce and olive oil .Small touches such as bringing the bread in a tin box makes us feel there is treasure or some thing special inside .We share the fabulous scallop and lobster pot stickers that taste fresh and crunchy and the light sauce they sit in is perfect. We continue with my macadamian coated mahi mahi . Only 8 pm and apparently I have the last piece. As we stood waiting for our reservation by the grill,we watched as each meal was carefully fully prepared, plated and considered so I could actually see the coating on the fish, etc. which sits in a delectable sauce along with jasmine rice and a leaf full of veggies. Easily one of the best mahi mahis I' ve eaten so far on the island. The taste of this makes The Pineapple Grill's look all presentation, prettier than tasteful. I am really enjoying this entree. As well my husband's coconut broth is incredibly light and no piece of seafood or fish is overcooked. He is also savouring every mouthful. We had started with paradise lemonades which were good. Now feeling very satisfied, we decide to forgo dessert. Out of the kitchen comes the ice cream sandwich which looks as if it might have been the perfect size as not to overwhelm supper.
In waiting for our table we could watch how efficiently and professionally this restaurant is run. It is impressive and obviously the results are commendable. Hula Grill is outstanding. Too bad for the rain.

1  Thank unhappytraveller123