“New experience with Torpedos”
Review of 5 Star Scuba

5 Star Scuba
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband, 19 year old son and myself signed up with 5 star scuba, due to its great reviews, outside the Marriott Ocean Club in Kaanapali for a Tuesday morning dive. Upon arrival and after setting up my gear, I turned the air 'on' and the tank had less then 1100PSIs. The dive master said "I think it will be okay". I insisted they find another tank, so we waiting around so they could run up the street and get a full cylinder. The dive master informed us he would not be diving with us due to a sinus issue, which is understandable, but the young guy who took his place 'Jared' was NOT patient and did not seem to know the area very well, surfacing twice to get his location! The dive was to be a shore dive using Torpedoes. He told us to walk into the ocean, carrying our flippers and the heavy torpedoes and to get past the breaker waves and at that point to get our flippers on and start our decent. What a joke!... after several minutes of exhaustion and a bit of a drift, we got our flippers on and torpedoes headed in the right direction. I've done shore dives and have been diving for several years and we always put our flippers on and walk backwards into the water, with our BC's inflated. This would have made it SO much easier! I will admit the torpedoes where a blast, made the dive effortless...my teenager had a blast with them as well. Do note it is very difficult to hold the heavy torpedo underwater with one hand as you check your gages with the other but we managed and I will definitely look to use those again, just not from this location!

Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Artie was a tremendous instructor. He did a great job with my 17 & 18 year old daughters and created life long divers out of them. We went out on a really nice turtle dive. I would highly recommend Artie!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

During our stay we got in 3 dives with 5 star. Each experience was enjoyable with dive guides we found helpful and concerned about making our dive memorable. We dove at black rock day and night. It was great seeing the difference activity underwater during each of the dives. Steve was great! The young guide who took us on the night dive, wish I could remember his name, was equally thorough. Dan, at another site managed to find a suitable dive in less the ideal conditions. They provided our family with memories we will never forget and made the dive lessons in puget sound worth every penny. We look forward to coming back and using their services again.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Went to five star at the beginning of my trip in Hawaii and was asking general questions on what they offered. The guy I talked to did not seem thrilled to give me any info. What I did get from him was give an hr or so notice and we can make it work. Went back for a night dive at black rock and that was not the case. Went on the afternoon I wanted/ needed to dive due to flight schedules and it turned out they require a min number of divers and never offered to take my name down for a wait list which would have shown they were trying at least. Instead the answer we got was there had to be two people and dive master went home for the day. No one else wanted to dive with one.

2  Thank Ryan M
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife and I just got back from spending a week at the Whaler. We both did an 8 am scuba dive around Black Rock. Steve Harmon was the Dive-master and does a wonderful job. My wife and I have been on over 50 dives and we rate Steve right up there with the best Dive-masters we have ever dove with. He is patient and never in a hurry. We had a great relaxing dive and I highly recommend 5 star scuba and Steve Harmon at Black rock

1  Thank 1coloradodude