“Truly a hidden gem in SCV”

Kinza Sushi and Asian Izakaya
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We have been searching for a great sushi place in our valley and completely overlooked this little place up in the corner of a local shopping center. We went at about 3:30 on a Sunday afternoon and we had the place to ourselves. We were warmly greeted and chose to sit at the bar.The first thing I always notice about sushi places is odor and cleanliness. Kinza was spotless and no fishy smell at all. The sushi chefs were really personable and even gave me a lesson on sushi knives!! The sushi was presented nicely and was so fresh. We are so thrilled to have a go-to, close to home sushi spot. They also have corkage, so bring your friends, your favorite wine and get ready for some really good sushi.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

We were on a 2 day trip to Six Flags Magic Mountain, and decided that we wanted sushi for dinner one night. We discovered this place right next door to the Hampton Inn (in the Outback Steak House shopping center.) It was a great find! We had to wait a bit, because the place was packed, even on a Monday night. We ordered 4 rolls, and an order of fried calamari. All 3 of us agreed that everything was excellent! They have more types of sushi than I have ever seen, AND they will custom make anything you can come up with. You can basically invent your own roll if you want. We stuck to the menu, and were very satisfied. I wish we had this place near where we live. I would eat here all the time. We will definitely be back when we are in Santa Clarita!

1  Thank KDG7
Reviewed September 28, 2013

So glad that these guys have their own place now! Quality, delicious food! A bunch of us even did their sushi class on the weekend, so much fun!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We came here with friends and family, party of 4. They do have a lot of sushi rolls that I've never heard of nor tried before. They call their rolls mostly by names of people like Debbie, Tina, Leo, Bob, Rick and etc; maybe their regulars? We ordered RA roll, 3's Amigos, yellow tail kama, rainbow roll and tiger roll. When I visit a Sushi restaurant for the first time, I usually try rolls first before diving on Sashimi's. The rolls are usually my gauge - Apparently, the rolls did not give us enticement to go for the sashimi.

I feel like I'm the minority here because everything we ordered was simply just alright. Maybe a bit on the "blah" side? The rice in their roll is somewhat loose. That really bothered me. And the flavors are more of an Americanized sushi. The presentation as well as the portion was a bit comical. I usually take pictures of our food for my facebook or yelp but after looking through the pics I took of the food here, I just couldn't post it in FB. But I will post it here so you can see what I'm talking about. Maybe it was just one of those "off days". Who knows!

There was no wow factor and no bold flavors, neither was there any favorite. Our group felt the same way. We may not be a Japanese cuisine expert but we do know what we want in a sushi place. And yes, we are a Japanese cuisine foodie. Granted, they do have a lot of roll choices but as of that moment, our order was simply just A-OK - definitely not worth the price :(

However, the service was very attentive. Everyone was friendly and accommodating. The restaurant itself is an average size. At first glance, it looks small but they have more space on the 2nd floor. It's also clean and with a pleasant ambiance. I was thinking of pulling them up to 4 stars, but the taste, presentation and portions was really not worth anything but 2-3 stars.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

I've been to Kinza twice, and I wonder why there aren't more patrons there. The service is good, as is the atmosphere. The food is delicious and there is a nice selection, and the prices are reasonable. Some of my out-of-town guests said this was the best place they've ever been. I definitely will go back to Kinza

1  Thank mrliterature