Visiting this island for the first time, we did not know what to expect. Our reason for choosing this resort was the combination of a quiet resort with golf. We had stayed in Sandy Lane hotel in Barbados for 12 days before so the high standard of hotel had already been set. We flew in from Barbados, a flight of just under an hour, with a touch down on Union Island. We were greeted by the Resort representative and we were taken directly to our villa where the check in procedure took place. Whaw! The villa was enormous, high up the hill with its own pool. The fridge was full of complimentary non alcoholic drinks, fruits, chocolates, crisps and peanuts etc. Two electric golf carts were provided for us to take us around the resort. While our bags were handled by the complimentary unpacking service, we were shown around the resort by Thelma Roberts, our hostess for the duration of our stay. We were introduced to Jonathan and Mark at the golf centre who guided us to on the golf procedure. There were two dining areas available with one only being open as we visited in low season. The two were open alternating evenings. The menus were giving ample choice and the quality of food was excellent and the restaurant staff made us feel like Royalty. Amazingly efficient and friendly.
We had pre booked golf for 3 out of our 5 days. The golf course is really fine with the first 10 holes being relatively straight forward with not too many hazards. From the 11th you climb up the hill which culminates on the 13th hole where you get a spectacular view of the neighbouring Grenadine islands. The course is challenging and in very good condition with the greens being relatively true with little or no influence of the grain of the grass.
We had lunch by the private Shell beach every day where the menu gives lots of flexibility and we were often tempted to have the spiny lobster. The service on the beach was fast and very pleasant. Water sport is available and complimentary, although we did not take advantage of this. What we did was chartering the 40 foot day cruiser for half a day which took us to Tobago Cays and Mayreau island, the smallest of the populated Grenadine islands. At the Cays we snorkelled with the Turtles and took some amazing underwater photos.
Right now there is a new hotel being in construction and shortly to be opened called Pink Sands Club. We may well give this a try next time we visit this paradise island.
We enjoyed a sports massage in the temporary massage area which will later be moved adjacent to the new hotel.
From having little expectations of this new venture of ours, we were entirely taken in by the friendliness of everyone connected to the resort and the willingness of everyone to make our stay pleasant. Compared to many Caribbean resorts, this is less expensive.
Make no mistake, we will be back here very soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Canouan Estate showcases a unique collection of stand alone villas and residences on a 1200 acre estate that benefit from access to hotel services offered by the The Pink Sands Club. The collection currently includes 14 Canouan Estate Residences which feature similar styles and views of the lagoon and vary from 2 - 8 Bedrooms, and 3 Canouan Estate Villas, which are larger homes and all feature unique designs. Located on Canouan Island in heart of The Grenadines, it is surrounded by one of the world's largest coral reefs. Foremost features include four restaurants, 8 beaches, Trump International Golf Club (World's Top 10 "Best Golf Courses") and the renowned Sanskrit rooted over-water spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire and Hotels.com so you can book your Canouan Estate Villas & Residences reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Canouan Resort At Carenage Bay - The Grenadines Hotel Canouan
- Raffles Resort Canouan
- Raffles Hotel Canouan Island
- Canouan Estate Villas & Residences St. Vincent And The Grenadines