“very nice”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Canouan
Sequim, Washington
“very nice”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

small island with a fantastic resort, very nice villas and beach with great service and lots of activities on the beach. Fantastic golf course as well. Would definitely go there again. Expensive. Beach is on a lagoon with relatively smooth water because the reef breaks the waves before hitting the lagoon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank animalchen

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed in december with my wife for only one night,. And i must say that this is an incredible place.
Large rooms with private pool, spetacular views, beatiful beach.
The manager was very nice. She showed us the property using the golf cart that is included in every room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marcelo G
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I was at this resort when it was a Raffles property in 2007. It was gorgeous and wonderful resort. It looks to be just as special now. We were there on a trip with my husband's company. It takes some work to get there. For our group we flew into St. Lucia and then took a puddle jumper to Canouan.

We went in October and let me warn you, it is hot and incredibly humid. I've been to the subtropics and to South Africa. Every time we walked outside, we'd break into a sweat and any lenses would steam up. We have a number of foggy pictures from the steamy weather.

I did glance at a couple other reviews, and it sounds like there are big changes happening. So, I guess I'd check on construction before going. It is beautiful. My husband said the golfing was great.

Room Tip: It is incredibly hot and humid, so bring really light, breathable clothing and a few changes for eac...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed October 23, 2012

You don't know anyone who's ever been here. I promise.

If you're reading this review, you're much like I was six months ago. One who can't find much of anything about Canouan Resort on the review sites, but the pictures make you want to go here. (If you don't want to read the rest of this post, here's the bottom line: if you can afford it, you won't be disappointed).

My wife and I were planning our honeymoon when I found Canouan. Of all the islands in the Grenadines, this was my favorite for the type of vacation we were looking for. If we were with family, or wanted to have more freedom to explore, I probably would have chose Bequia. If I were a millionaire, I probably would have chosen Mustique. As it were, we were one of about half a dozen guests in the entire resort. It was virtually a ghost town, or our own private resort, depending on how you look at it. (For the record, we visited in June 2012, on the very front of the official "hurricane season," but we did not have any weather issues).

There are some things you need to know about this resort that make it different than any others. It's definitely a property in transition. When we went, they were tearing down villas and expanding the resort with a new hotel. Most importantly, that means you will hear and see some construction. I had extensive conversations with the staff before we booked, who promised we would neither hear nor see any of the construction. But the crunching and grinding of heavy machinery is something you cannot ignore. You can see the signs from the hotel lobby, and we could see it from our villa across the bay. This also meant there is NO POOL. My apologies for writing that in all caps, but I know it's important to many people, especially those with children. We were fortunate enough to be upgraded to a suite with a private pool, which was nice, but not quite the same ambiance as a communal pool/hot tub. So be sure to check on the status of the construction/pool/whatever else you may care about before booking.

We opted to do the meal plan for dinner only. It was more than enough food, and we probably could have split a plan between the two of us. We often had leftovers that went unused the next day. The restaurants on the resort are great, but your venue is pre-selected for you. So while there are several restaurants on the resort, only one will be open per night. You also have to pay extra for any liquor, which was pricey, but not as bad as it could be. Our only complaint was one night during the week, Canouan Resort closes all of its restaurants and takes the guests to the sister hotel, Tamarind Beach. It's not as nice, and a completely different atmosphere. After a week of being waited on hand and foot, it was a jarring transition for a single meal, and the food was a disappointment.

As far as activities go, you are somewhat limited, even if you just want to sit by the beach. Thanks to the construction, the resort's primary beach was closed. They set up shop at Shell Beach, which is about 15 minutes away by golf cart. It's kind of fun to drive across the island on a golf cart (there are only some spots where you'll see a full size car or truck), but it can grow tiresome. On the opposite side of the island, there's another "hidden" beach, which is completely secluded and deserted. We found this exciting...until a half-naked man walked up the beach toward us carrying a fishing spear. It turns out his boat had capsized and he swam toward shore carrying his scuba and fishing gear. After swimming for more than an hour, we were happy to give him a ride back to the main gate on our golf cart. Suffice to say, there is not a phone or bar on this side of the island, so you're completely on your own if something goes wrong.

Due to a minor problem with our room, we were offered a half day catamaran ride to Tobago Cays. It's a fantastic experience that you should jump on, as long as your stomach can handle a slightly rough ride on the open seas.

The golf course is fantastic, even for an amateur like I am. Of all the courses I've ever played, this is the most beautiful. We were always the only ones out there, and it's immaculately manicured with spectacular views. Another must while on the island.

As I alluded to, the service here is top notch. You will not want for anything, in the restaurants, on the beach, in your room, or otherwise. My thanks especially to the staff including, but certainly not limited to, Jennifer, Candace, Levi, Gabriel, Johnny, Uz, Esther, and Sasha. I honestly can say that we became closer "friends," if you will, than any of the other guests. Most of the staff are very formal at first, as if they are instructed to be a bit stuffy. But that's not how my wife and I roll, so by the end of the week, we were all on a first name basis, and we learned so much about the island's history and culture from them.

You will see turtles everywhere. It's like seeing squirrels in a state park. For a few days, we stopped to look at each of them. Then, we realized it was turtle mating season. I won't go into detail, but it's a sight that would make you blush. It's just one of those unique experiences that you won't find anywhere else.

I will make one travel note: avoid flying SVG Air if you can. We were lucky enough to end up on a jet flying between Barbados and Canouan, but were stuck on a prop plane on the way back. It was one of the most terrifying flights we've ever been on.

Hopefully this will help any future travelers, but feel free to drop me a line with any specific questions. After all, now you know one person who's been to Canouan.

Room Tip: The plunge pool villas are superb.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
18 Thank victor1985
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This island is a little out of the way, but well worth the effort. There are direct flights from St. Vincent and Barbados,and as soon as you land in the airport, you know you are someplace special. They picked us up in an air-conditioned van from the airport (if you stay a week in a suite they send a private airplane) with cool, mint scented towels and ice cold bottled water. From then on it was first class all the way.

What made Canouan different from other resorts is that it didn't have a resort feel. It is definitely boutique and not cookie cutter. Yes, the villas were exquisite and the facilities were top notch. But it was the people who made us feel at home. We felt loved and pampered from the moment we arrived. Whether you are in a private villa or a hotel guest, you receive the same unparalleled service and food.

Canouan is very romantic. The turn down service makes it really special with all the fresh flowers on the beds at night. The massage in glass-bottom huts over the water is a don't miss..Although we came as a family, I left feeling like my husband and I had a second honeymoon and our son fell in love with Kid's Club staff who kept him very well entertained. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who is getting married or as a honeymoon destination.

Canouan is also breathtakingly beautiful. Completely unspoiled. Very private and an eco-tourist's dream. The oceans abound with turtles, rays and flying fish. Land tortoises are everywhere. The resort has small private villas nestled in a natural tropical setting with beautiful views. Each room or villa comes with a golf cart to tool around the resort in. No matter what activity we returned from, the staff always had our carts relocated for us so they were always available.

The food was also amazing. What isn't native to the island or caught locally, they grow on site hydroponically. The restaurant is Italian but they have a different theme and menu every night. We loved the Caribbean night. Breakfast is served on the terrace and lunch down at the beach or up at the casino.

I can't recommend this place enough. We will be back and we love you, Canouan!

Room Tip: We loved the 2 bedroom villa with private deck and pool. Very comfortable and beautifully appointed...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank RichardParris
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at the resort for 10 days in February 2012. As a travel agent our family has been at many 5 star resorts throughout the world and found that the service offered at Canouan Resot was unparralelled to anything we have experienced. From drinks and appetizers on the 13th hole of the golf course to gourmet meals on a whim, this resort can not be matched anywhere. The feeling on the island is a true caribbean experience, and you are able to enjoy it in the utmost of luxury in perfectly appointed suites. We had our two young children with us (1,3), and they were very well cared for in the children's club - and the resort is big enough that we never felt we were imposing on other guests. We were lucky enough to be invited by the staff for drinks at the Tamarind one evening, and always felt like we were included as welcome friends. A special note must go to Chef Oneill, whose meals were amazing (and can be seen on No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain), and Santhana - who is the most hospitable hotelier we have ever encountered. If you are into golf (which I am) you will be enthralled by the amazing course, the accommodations are impeccable, and the service outstanding. This resort is pure 5 stars.

Room Tip: Go for the pool suite.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Deha199
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Anyone in the hospitality business can certainly learn a thing or two from Canouan Resort. The best service, the utmost care made our stay total perfection. All the staff is glad to serve you and genuinely happy to come in contact with you. Even the humility of the managers surprised me when I congratulated them for offering us an exceptional stay…..they replied thank you in the name of all of us at Canouan resort. Even upon my return home I was still thinking about this place and how nice it is to have your breakfast while watching the golf course and remember the breeze coming in from the sea.

The room was just grand and spectacular in any way and the preparation of the room was what made us fell in love.

I would highly recommend anyone to go to Canouan if you want to be in the hands of true professionals and live a vacation to never forget. If you like crowded places with lots of people and with vendors on the beach than this is not the place for you.

If you want to be looked after and if you appreciate places with lots of care for clients than don’t miss this place!! I wish to celebrate my birthday party here next year and if I could I would take this whole place and the great staff back home with me.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Dan T
, Front Office Manager at Canouan Estate Villas & Residences, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the whole team at Canouan Resort I would like thank you very much for your more than positive feedback and we are truly glad that you enjoyed your Canouan experience. I think you truly managed to pinpoint what our hotel strives for in terms of guest experience and we hope to welcome you back next year. I will also pass on your comments to our Food and Beverage and Housekeeping team.

Please feel free to contact me directly should you require any assistance with booking your next stay and best of wishes from the whole team at Canouan Resort!!

Warm regards,

Andrei Mocanu
Front Office Manager
andrei.mocanu@canouan.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canouan
Tamarind Beach Hotel & Yacht Club
#2 of 5 in Union Island
Firefly Hotel Mustique
Firefly Hotel Mustique
#2 of 2 in Mustique

Been to Canouan Estate Villas & Residences? Share your experiences!