“Absolute paradise”
Review of Culebra

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Madison, Wisconsin
11 helpful votes
“Absolute paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2009

Culebra, and especially Flamenco Beach are breathtaking. The beach is gorgeous and by far one of the best beaches I have been to (and I travel alot). The sand is PERFECT and the water is fantastic, it feels like you're swimming in a big pool. For those adventure seekers, or if you're looking for some really (REALLY) good snorkeling, go to Carlos Rosario Beach, it's a small hike from Flamenco Beach (but the views are also worth it) and the snorkeling is amazing. The fish you see are extraordinary, and it's so worth it- it also feels pretty secluded, so that's even better, because you may get the entire beach to yourself. Other than that, Culebra is great, and although the ferry ride can be a bit much (slightly unorganized and can be a long wait- I recommend flying), once you reach Culebra, it is so worth it. Also, I'm originally from Puerto Rico, but Culebra has a different feel- we didn't feel like we were in Puerto Rico, it felt like a completely different world, a bit more arcaic you could say, so have an open mind and you're in an untouched world for the most part, and that's the charm!

2 Thank Vianni911
florida
1 helpful vote
“Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2009

Took the 9:00AM ferry to Culebra (6/10/09) and came back on the last ferry which is at 5PM. Ferry ride lasted 1 hour 15 mins., and costs $2.25 one way. This is a WONDERFUL place, no doubt. We just wished we had had more time on this island. Next time we would probably stay at one of the guest houses for a couple of days. If you are looking for a place to get away from it all, this is it!
We rented a jeep and drove around and finished our day at the famous Flamenco Beach. The beach itself is beautiful.... no waves, white sand, no rocks. There were showers/restrooms and stands selling food. From what I understand is best to avoid the weekends and holidays. We were there on a Wednesday, a lot of people but everyone made it on the ferry. We arrived to buy the tickets at 7:30AM and that was just about the right time.
Not much to do here except relax and have fun.....

1 Thank linjen02
Sunny California
111 helpful votes
“Highlight in Puerto Rico”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2009

We went to La Culebra for a day. Drove a rental car from San Juan to Fajardo (45 minute drive) and parked the car at the Fajardo dock for about $5. Jumped on the Ferry in the early morning, an hour later we were on the island. Once there, we jumped on a shuttle bus that said $2 to Flamenco Beach.
Flamenco Beach was soooo beautiful. One of the best beaches i have ever been to. Crystal clear water, soft sand, somewhat isolated. Not too many people there, just us and a few fish in the water. We didn't snorkel, but this would've been the perfect place to do it. There is a reef around the beach that attracts colorful fish.We spent the whole day swimming, sunbathing and just relaxing. At the end of the day, we jumped back on the shuttle that took us back to the port and grabbed the ferry back to Fajardo.
Only regret is not taking a cooler with food and beer. There was a food stand at the Flamenco Beach serving up shish-ka-bob, but that was your only option if you didn't have a car/bike.

New York, NY
6 helpful votes
“Real Carribean beauty but careful with accomodations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2009

Culebra is beautiful and the real deal. There are no multi story hotels on island and the permanent population is small at around 2,000. The airport is tiny which limits access so there are, blessedly, no golf courses, tennis courts or day spas. Just a handful of gorgeous beaches, stunning vistas and crystal waters dotted with boats and snorkelers.
There are enough food options, both shopping and dining out, to keep things interesting for a good week but there is nothing 'foodie' about Culebra. Not a bad thing.
The island seems to be under threat of development as there is a visible movement to maintain island life. I hope they succeed as it is lovely just the way it is.
Careful with your accommodations, however. We rented a house overlooking Manglar bay called Casa Coqui that was billed as rustic and the agent was very clear about unheated cistern fed showers, no TV and jungle setting. The photos made clear that the furniture was not focused on luxury. We were welcoming of that and were fine with bugs, birds, frogs etc as that is all part of the ambiance. The rats, however, were a different story. The trap laid outside indicates that owner and agent were aware of the issue. We should have been explicitly told of such a condition. Even knowing of the rat problem there were no covered outdoor trash bins and the master bedroom, the room most susceptible to (and in fact intruded on by) the critters, had gaping access points throughout. This is not an easy problem to deal with, we know, but renters need to know about the issue.
That said, we plan to return to Culebra, and will certainly rent through the same agent as they were overall pretty great other than that tricky rodent issue.

los angeles
1 helpful vote
“my home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2008

I was born and raised in Culebra. I moved to Los Angeles, C.A. when I was 17. Although I have lived here ever since I do go back to Culebra often. My parents, brothers and sisters not to mention cousins, uncles, aunties and friends are all still there. I've been lucky enough to travel all over the world but on the chance to sound a little bias, Culebra is one the most beautiful places you'll ever want to visit. Culebra is still pretty primitive compare to other tourist destinations but that is precisely why it's so appealing. So do your self a favor, if you are looking for a vacation with all the amenities of a 3, 4 or 5 star resort, Culebra is not for you. But if you're looking for one of the most beautiful places you'll ever going to see as nature intended it to be then by all means visit. I lived in Culebra when the population was only about twelve hundred. I believe there is a little over three thousand now. That may not seem like much but I'm sadly sure that the last of the Virgin Island days are numbered. So if you are lucky enough to go, do it! So you to can say you visited the last of the Virgin Island when it truly was. Jose "cheo" Santiago.

1 Thank griptrade

Been to Culebra? Share your experiences!