“Stay Way from this Restaurant of Nightmare”
Review of Juanita Bananas - CLOSED

Juanita Bananas
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2009

I just went las saturday with a group of friends to this restaurant and I just had the worst experience I ever had in Culebra. First, a cat was our recepcionist, as it wondered the restaurant from chair to chair. As we sat, the waitress arrived 30 mins later to offer us a drink. The menu was poorly descriptive and some of the dishes were not available. After we barely made our order (which was a struggle due to the poor explanations abour the plates) we sit there for 2 and a half hours waiting for our food. Three of our companions just leaved the restaurant and went for Pizza. When our order arrived, most of the dishes were wrong and the portions were very poor. One of my friends got a flat soda 3 times.
In conclusion, this is the restaurant of nightmare. There are better places like Mamacitas

2  Thank JinzoAnakin

Reviewed February 6, 2009

Juanita Bananas is one of our favorite places in Culebra!

It's a beautiful place located atop a hill with fabulous views of the surrounding area. There is a large deck with a dozen or so tables well spaced out so you're not eating on top of each other and you can enjoy a romantic dinner under the stars. There is an indoor space as well, but we never sit there.

The menu is filed with fresh local ingredients - they grow a lot of their own produce and herbs. We especially loved that. Living in NYC, a lot of our favorite places build their menus around the local farmers harvest.

The last time we went our waitress couldn't have been nicer (I forget her name). She was warm and friendly and did a fabulous job answering questions and recommending things from appetizers to wine choices. The menu seems to always change based on what is available on the small island.

Jennifer, the chef, came around about mid-way through the meal to check on everyone. It was clear that she took real pride in her work.

It is one of the more expensive places to eat, but not exorbitantly. We had appetizers, entrees, a bottle of wine and desserts and it all came to just over $100 (maybe $120 with tip..).

I can't wait to get back there.

1  Thank BrooklynGrl
Reviewed January 29, 2009

We've dined here many times over the years since jennifer opened JB. It is a terrific creation, and we look forward to returning.

Reviewed January 21, 2009

I was just in Culebra with my boyfriend over the New Year's holiday. We decided to go to Juanita Bananas for New Year's Eve...we had their tasting menu. The food was okay, the root vegetable soup was the best. The fact that the dinner for two was over $150.00 was bad enough for adequate food, but to top that off we both became violently ill about an hour after eating there. Our New Year's Eve was ruined by trips to the bathroom all night long, into New Year's Day. Not a great way to start the New Year.
To make matters worse when we went to the restaurant to let them know we got sick after eating at their establishment(several locals told us to tell them, that they would appreciate the information), the manager, Javier Cabrera, was the most obnoxiously, rude person I've ever dealt with at a place of business. He basically laughed at us and said he would offer us another dinner, but we'd probably think we'd get sick again. I don't find anything funny about paying $150.00 for a meal that made us take turns in the bathroom all night and made us lose a day of our vacation. He also said that if we could prove we got sick from his restaurant he might be able to do something. I don't think he'd want the type of proof we would have given him.
Basically, the behavior of Mr. Cabrera left a worst taste in my mouth and soul than his restaurant's food did.
I would not recommend the place on many levels.

2  Thank ann1010
Reviewed January 5, 2009

Subpar food, Bad Service, Beautiful Atmosphere, but thats it. Not worth it. Hydroponic blah blah, the chef just isnt that great...
They were out of deserts that night, with the exception of one lime flan...it was gross, and i love flan.....texture wasnt right. Plus, you own a restaurant, run out of deserts? i understand to run out of a few, but all? and we were there early...
Waitress didnt know the difference between white wine and red wine, and we're not wine snobs....
We're not restaurant snobs at all, but we know what good service and a good waiting staff is.

2  Thank sensinism