“Would probably give it another try”
Review of Juanita Bananas - CLOSED

Juanita Bananas
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 3, 2011

While it wasn't our favorite place to eat while on Culebra, we went during the slow season and many eateries were closed so Juanita's got our business.
There wasn't too much grate to say, it is a bar atmosphere, they have plenty to choose from and while we weren't expecting too much, the Chicken sandwiches that we did get were good and had a tasty aoli that we both enjoyed. And let's face it, at least they were open to serve us.

There are newer reviews for Juanita Bananas

Reviewed June 5, 2011

The walls at Juanita Banana's are beautifully painting. The menu is extensive and sounds great. We were being served one plate at a time for 3 and a half hours and the food was not good. The people were nice and we wanted to like it, but it was a bad experience.

Reviewed April 27, 2011

But thought it would be helpful to write a review on my experience. The restaurant is in a new location - in the area where the ferry picks up. To me, it seemed like a bar atmosphere - that serves food (sushi ?). The food looked pricey for a little dive and we didn't like the vibe so we left and ate at Susie's where we had a wonderful meal and service next to the water.

Reviewed February 21, 2011

If you are planning to go to Culebra. This place is the best place to have dinner. I was shocked to see so many bad reviews. The food is truly amazing and so very reasonable on the tourist trap that Culebra can be. The chef was really nice and friendly. To be honest I am not sure why she is at the new location at Hotel Kokomo. I mean that as a complement. The service was a bit goofy and confusing. They don't really have servers and you must get up and order from either the bartender or the chef herself. The place is 100% un pretentious. All the food is made with the best local ingredients. All made to order. I visited 3 times and each time I was surprised and scratching my head on how good the food was. We visited Susie's restaurant down the road from Juanita's a different night and it was just awful and really expensive. With that said. Be prepared to wait a long time for dinner or drinks. It's just the way it is anywhere in Puerto Rico. Again as someone who was born and raise in Puerto Rico and has travel extensively and have eaten at Michelin Star restaurants, the food at this location holds it's own.

Reviewed February 20, 2011

Excellent food for the price- I had a five course meal for $25: Plantain Soup, Shitake salad, tempura veggies, oven roasted herbed chicken breast, and flan. I visited the restaurant with a friend that grew up in Puerto Rico and he loved the food as well. They use mostly traditional Caribbean ingredients with a twist - tempura fried baby sweet bananas for dessert - plantain soup - etc. We tried out a couple different restaurants in the town and weren't very impressed with any of the others, we ended up eating at Juanita Bananas twice. We would have gone there every night if we stayed longer, the menu changes frequently. The location by the dock is nice, they have a large outdoor back patio. The chef, Jenny, is very friendly and brings out the food herself and explains the ingredients. Be prepared to go up to the bar to order, and to wait for your food and drinks. Definitely the best place we tried on the island. I recommend dining here first before you try other places.

1  Thank kbt3