“Home Sweet Home!”

Palmetto Guesthouse
Ranked #4 of 20 B&Bs / Inns in Culebra
Reviewed May 20, 2014

This was my first time staying at this beautiful and cozy guesthouse. You feel just like home. It has a living room with awesome movies and a desktop computer with highspeed internet. The complementary authentic puertorican coffee is AMAZING. Loved the fresh baked muffins that Susan brings down every morning! The rooms are clean and smell fresh. Paul and Susan are very friendly and welcoming. I'll definitively plan to book at Palmetto on another summer vacation.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Delbert A

Reviewed May 15, 2014

My wife and I stayed five nights in March-April. Our room was tight for two, though the bed was roomy. It's close to the airport but about a mile from the center of Dewey, where the restaurants are. Not an issue, since you'll want to rent a golf cart or Jeep in order to get to beaches other than Flamenco.
Everything very clean, lots of potted plants around the patio and a garden in the rear. Susan is very helpful and serves lovely baked goods every morning.
There's a public gym right across the street that hosted a boisterous volleyball game on our first night, but it was over by nine.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dan45RandolphNY
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We stayed at Palmetto back in January (okay, I'm a little late to the party) but for the price and location, it's a perfect place to stay. Our room was spotless and close to the airport and vehicle rental places. We discovered a grocery store and breakfast place (La Pista) that was better than anything else downtown. Paul and Susan are beyond charming and helpful. I love the decor, the dogs, the coffee, the scones. The free beach chairs and snorkel equipment was a great option, so was the outdoor shower and backyard garden. They have small refrigerators (our room came with one) and the kitchens (2) are well stocked at spotless. You can get pop and water for $1, too. Paul is a hoot and we had many a chat in the living room about the island and Puerto Rico in general. Susan is a sweetheart and goes out of her way to make you feel welcome. I loved staying there and would return in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NortonsMom12345
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I'm late in writing this review, but the whole idea of Culebra is that things don't change very fast on the little island (thankfully!), so this is still relevant. My friend and I traveled to Culebra not really knowing what to expect since it's so tiny. Palmetto couldn't be easier to get to from the tiny air field, and it's a 10 minute walk to "town" - the very small main drag. The owners weren't there the week we were there, but a very nice young man - white, from the US, I forget his name - welcomed us showed us around, and was always helpful with recommendations about where to go and what restaurant was closed on what day. Everything was very friendly and accessible. We had 2 rooms - one of which was so small it was hilarious, the other was a tiny bit bigger - but it didn't matter how big our rooms were. The bathrooms worked and the back courtyard is very pretty. We made use of the communal internet/computer, which is a nice amenity to have, and the honor bar/fridge is also super convenient. Snorkel gear is available at all times.

You can walk to Flamenco Beach, which is 'the most popular on the island.' That makes it seem like it might be crowded or something - remember that nothing on Culebra is crowded! This is as delightfully tiny and quiet as you can get in the Caribbean for such wonderful prices. There is a campground adjoining Flamenco and food & bathrooms are available. I would highly recommend driving out and then taking a nice hike to Brava beach (Palmetto's manager drove us out to a spot where you have to hike from there on). It is, perhaps barring one Greek island, the most beautiful beach I have seen anywhere in the world. We were among 4 other people on the whole beach all day. We cut our own green coconuts (don't ask me how my friend did it without a machete, I really don't know) and had a delightful time hitching a ride back from the parking spot. The folks on Culebra are so awesome and friendly that they'll stop and help you out if you look like you don't know where you're going and your Spanish is limited. I had a lot of fun trying out my Spanish with our new friend (and older man). I think I said to him "You have electricity and weather! Thank you!" ;) There are several other beaches that are awesome as well - Zoni, Carlos Resario, and if you're a hiker, Resaca, to name a few.

Culebra is a truly magical place and Palmetto makes you feel like you're at home there and that you should never leave. Thank you Palmetto staff!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank fellowtraveler27
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and I spent few days at Palmetto in December.

The guest house is only a 5 minutes walk from the airport, 2/3 minutes walk to many car/golf cart rental agency and 10/15 minutes drive (in a golf cart) to both Flamenco beach and the "city centre".

The room we stayed in was super clean and so was the bathroom. We stayed in the smallest room and although some people might not like the size of the room, we found it perfect. Plenty of towels to use, a mini fridge and a cooler you can take to the beach with ice available to buy in the guesthouse. And fins and snorkel to borrow (great touch)

The bed was really comfortable and both the area and guesthouse are very quiet at night.

There are 2 shared kitchen with all the utensils you might need, an outdoor shower and a shared sitting area (great for chatting with the owners and fellow travellers!)

Last but not least, the owners! An amazing couple with incredible stories. They make you feel at home from the minute you arrive. I so wished we had stayed longer to be able to spend more time with them.

I would definitely recommend Palmetto to anyone!

Paul, Susan, tanisdiymiza cok sevindim. Umarim yine gorusuruz!

Zerin and Chris

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank zerin
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Stayed at Palmetto Guesthouse from April 8th-10th 2014. Susan was a wonderful host and very helpful in explaining all the ins/outs of Culebra and helping in anyway possible. The house itself is conveniently located within walking distance of the airport (she provides fre pickup and drop off for both the airport and ferry). As others have said the house itself is small as are the rooms, but they provide all you need for Culebra. The rooms were spotless as were the two communal kitchens. They provide you with bath towels, beach towels, beach coolers and chairs to take with you while you are there. Each room also comes with a refrigerator which is handy for late night drinks. I would definitely recommend renting either a golf cart or car (we rented a golf cart and it was an absolute blast) which you can park right out front of the house. This allows you to truly see all the parts of the island and not spend half your vacation walking around. Culebra is truly an amazing place and hard to put into words.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HokieAaron88
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I can't thank Susan and Paul enough for literally saving our vacation. Our accommodations on main island of Puerto Rico did not pan out. I called Susan and she helped us find a single night accommodation on the mainland until we could advance our air transportation to Culebra. She was able to take us in two days early. That was just the begining of our wonderful stay at Palmetto Guesthouse. The Palmetto is darling. From the moment you walk through the gate you feel at home. The rooms are clean, well decorated, and you have access to two kitchens and the cutest relaxing garden space. Palmeto is just a few blocks from the airport, but Susan is there with the big red truck to pick you up. Culebra is so easy to get around with a golf cart. There are several companies that also have jeeps and scooters. Parking was easy outside the Palmetto gate. The location is great. You can easily walk to a store, and several dining choices. We went to El Batey twice. Barbara Rosa's is a unique dining experience, great food and an extremely casual calm atmosphere. Snorkling gear, coolers, beach chairs and towels are provided. Susan keeps ice for purchase. We had a very special request for some local sailing information and Susan hooked us up with several grand resources. I just cannot say enough good things about Palmetto Guesthouse and Susan and Paul Moran.

Room Tip: Bouglevillia Room was great in the back of the house. Definitely get motorized transportation to ex...