“What a fantastic experience!”
Review of Casita Tropical

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Culebra
Casita Tropical
Ranked #3 of 19 Culebra B&B and Inns
Snowmass Village, Colorado
“What a fantastic experience!”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Molly is one of a kind! We stayed in Culebra in the small efficiency room for 5 nights flying in from San Juan. Molly picked us up from the airport in her golf cart and welcomed us to a little piece of paradise. She recommended a golf cart rental to explore the island, its not necessary but extremely helpful seeing as the fun beaches are about a mile away. we managed to get around for 2 days without one, but then decided it was worth the rate.
Best parts were the fun, happy and genuine feelings we got from Molly, (fantastic person! ) plus she has snorkel gear (mask, snorkel, and fins) that she let us borrow during our stay.
We even woke up really early one morning to explore with Molly, she took us down to beach that I would have never known about, and saw see turtles, fish, rays...everything we wanted on our trip.

Not to mention the other couple staying there, fantastic people as well.

All around, I can tell you that if your looking for a laid back beach getaway, and your intent is to be in or around the island exploring, stay here. Molly has great recommendations all around,

If your looking for a resort and plan on staying in your room all day, well, this isn't that place.

1 Thank Jeffrey C

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed April 7, 2014

The island is beautiful, the lodging was great, and Molly was priceless. She helped me plan trip from beginning and was helpful until we checked out. The location is great- midway to anywhere you would want to go. the roasters did not bother us, probably because we exhausted from beach hopping and snorkeling all day. In my opinion the golf car is a must- just adds to the whole being on a small island vibe- there is parking right in front of house. The pool was great to cool off. Molly provided towels and let us borrow a cooler- which saved us on drinks all day. The ferry was not that bad- ( we paid for reservations) might take plane next time because would have liked to stay longer in culebra. what else is there to say- shower was hot with good water pressure and AC was appeciated. clean throughout- thanks again molly...
Steven

Room Tip: avoid momacitas- overpriced and not that good. dinky docks was good
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I wish there were more stars to give. I read a ton of reviews about this place, and after returning am still floored by anything negative. I have a feeling that those people just didn't like the island in general, because this guest house + Molly is more than perfect and went way beyond my expectations. My boyfriend and I stayed from Mar 21-25th, and then camped at the beach for two days before our departure.

My first impression once we landed from our little plane; Called Molly because she offered to pick us up and she said she'd be there in her little green golf cart... ordered a bushwacker from the little cafe in the airport (when in Rome..which by the way, the lady who runs it makes a delicious one) and as she saw the golf cart pull up she said OMG! You're staying with Molly? You're going to love it! So, I already felt like I was staying with one of the "cool" locals :) To the reviewer who secretly deemed Molly her Puerto Rico Aunt - I know exactly what you are saying. As cliche as it sounds, it really felt like we were her family in town visiting. She had a great set up - we stayed in the small efficiency and thought it was absolutely perfect.. very clean, the hammock and table were awesome, and we actually ended up staying in one night and cooking dinner! You have a refrigerator in your actual room, along with a toaster just to be clear.

The less than excellent reviews - don't mind them. If you are coming to this island with the expectation of laid back, fun, not super high-end atmosphere, then this is a perfect place for you. I keep going back to a review I read where it seemed like their expectations were so high probably nothing could meet it.. think realistically. You're paying ~$80/night.. on a gorgeous tropical island.. you would expect a cot and a blanket for that price on a commercialized island. That's the price of a HOJO or Holiday Inn where I live.. you would never expect them to drive you around at your leisure so I'm not quite sure why that expectation changes here?

With that being said.. you're staying at somebody's house.. and if you allow yourself the pleasure of enjoying Molly's unique and awesome hospitality then you will come back from the trip with a friend. We accepted Molly's offer to tag along to Dinghy Dock with her the first night we were there because we did not yet have a car. Totally did not expect that, and it was those little things throughout the week that made Molly extra special. Also, we walked home that night because we decided to stay out later, and it was easy - so yes, you can walk (preferably bike) to and from Molly's into town.

Our take on the Island:

To me, the island itself is extremely laid back and in my opinion is not intended for those who expect truly posh, luxurious all-inclusive resorts where there is a waiter to fill your drink before you can even realize it's empty. What you can expect is an amazing place to explore, snorkel and just do as much as you feel like on your vacation and then mingle with tourists and locals in town over a drink after a long day.

If walking to a gorgeous beach from the parking lot is what you prefer, you can easily do that at Flamenco. For us, we wanted to explore as much of the island as possible, so we rented a jeep from Jerry's (I highly recommend at least a golf cart, depending on what your plans are) and made trips to Zoni (my favorite non-crowded swimming beach on the island), hiked to Brava and Resaca beaches (moderately difficult hikes, more so on the way back, Resaca is more stones than trail) where we were the ONLY people on the entire white-sand beach, and per Molly's recommendation (and snorkel gear) we got up early and hiked to Carlos Rosario beach (trail starts on the side of the Flamenco parking lot) to snorkel, where the reef was truly amazing. We also snorkeled at Tamarindo Beach where we actually saw several sea turtles - INCREDIBLE! We also were able to Kayak to Luis Pena on a day when it was not too choppy out there. It was also amazing. There is a guy that rents Kayaks downtown right next to the Sandbar (across from the Ferry Dock) who was really helpful.

We could not have asked for a better stay, a better host or a better island. I hope you are able to enjoy it as much as we did!!

Room Tip: The Small Efficiency would be most appropriate for 1-2 people (king size bed) while I believe the la...
2 Thank Kelly R
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My fiancé and I spent 3 nights in a "Small Efficiency" room at Casita Tropical and I didn't want to leave! It was such a wonderful place to return to after a long day at the beach. I especially loved the hammock and small kitchen in the patio area. At first, it may seem to be located far away from everything, but really, as long as you rent a car or golf cart (highly recommended), it's more than fine. I actually enjoyed staying further away from the downtown area as it gave me more of an island getaway feel.

Molly, the owner of the guest house, is one of the most darling, kind and helpful persons I've ever met. She doesn't know, but I've secretly adopted her as my Puerto Rico Aunt ;P Her dog Sophie is a really entertaining and clever dog full of character too (I love dogs). Going back to Molly - she's always ready to help as much as she can. She even took my fiancé & I, along with some other guests, out one morning to go snorkeling with turtles!! Usually you have to pay $35 (I think) for these kind of tours!

Overall, I just really loved how Casita Tropical and Molly provided us with everything we needed - a wonderful accommodation, small kitchen, small fridge, TV, shampoo & body wash, towels, beach towels, a nice bed sheet to bring and spread onto the beach, lots of different types of beach toys (boogie boards, noodles, snorkel stuff, etc), and whatever else you need, you just have to ask Molly and she'd try her best to help and provide. As someone who's stayed in many hostels and guest houses, this has definitely been one of the best experiences and if I ever go back to Culebra, I'll definitely be going back to Molly :)

Morgantown, Wv
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Casita Tropical is located in a residential neighborhood behind the airstrip. At first we thought this might not be convenient, but it was actually closer to the best beaches and snorkel spots than staying right in town. If you are planning to rent a vehicle or bike, then everything is really close anyway; the town (Dewey) itself is tiny and there's no particular benefit to staying right there. We stayed in a room off of the patio that had a king bed and a set of bunk beds. It was large and just what I would expect from a basic beach cottage kind of place. Inexpensive and not luxurious but more than adequate with toaster oven, microwave, hot plate and coffee maker. The kitchen sink was just outside the door on the patio. What is really convenient, is that you don't have to pack much in the way of beach supplies. Molly graciously furnishes snorkeling gear, beach towels, chairs, coolers, an umbrella and just about anything else you could need. Her knowledge of the area and best snorkeling spots saved us the $ of needing to hire a guide or go on a tour. Molly really couldn't do more to help her guests get the most out of their visit.

If you are looking for a posh, luxury experience then this is not the place for you - in fact Culebra is probably not the destination for you. What is astonishing about Culebra, is that it is still easy to have a very secluded experience on some of the most exquisite beaches and reefs in the world - if you listen to Molly and time your activities right. Casita Tropical makes you feel almost like a local, with a cat and dog running around, and hearing all activity of the neighbors. Yes there are roosters crowing all night long - but that is everywhere on Culebra. If you have the right attitude and want to be a part of the local expat and resident culture, then these things really aren't a bother and you will love it.

Room Tip: Be aware if you arrive on a Sunday afternoon, the grocery stores will be closed and it will be hard...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Sunster1
hayward
Reviewed March 24, 2014

From all the good reviews we were excited to stay at Casita Tropical. This was not a good experience for us. The property was run down and the neighborhood was very noisy. I would not recommend this to a friend.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank banks449
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed March 24, 2014

This February I had the good fortune to be able to return to Culebra for vacation along with my husband and friends. Our stay at Casita Tropical was most enjoyable and memorable mainly because Molly goes out of her way to make sure your experience includes the best that this island has to offer. We plan to travel to Culebra again next year & stay at Casita Tropical for another memory maker!&

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Culebra
Club Seabourne
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Bravo Beach Hotel
Bravo Beach Hotel
#4 of 6 in Isla de Vieques

Been to Casita Tropical? Share your experiences!