“Whole lot of potential”
Review of Sea Breeze Hotel

Sea Breeze Hotel
Ranked #18 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Culebra
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I didn't write a review after we stayed there because it appeared they were going through "growing pains". After reading all these terrible reviews I can only surmise that things got worse. First of all, we were there for 4 days in March. We had no problem with our room. Yes the furniture was a bit dated ,but everything was clean. We experienced NO mosquitoes (maybe they are seasonal. We spent days at Playa Flamenco and Zoni. When we got back I used the pool every day. It was immaculate !! My biggest complaint would the lack of staff and the attitude of the few that are there. The man and wife that make breakfast in the outdoor lobby were the only people I ever saw smile. They were wonderful and make a pretty good breakfast. O.K., the grounds are outstanding the views of the bay are picture perfect. Would I stay there again? Only if I hear that someone with resort experience buys the place, pours a ton of money into it, and brings in a staff that knows how to make the guests feel welcome.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank goldrush28

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Incredible location, fantastic night view of the stars, gorgeous bay-side property, but...rooms where filthy, dated, no water one day, pool under repair, desolate lobby bar area, stingy bed sheets and flimsy towels, mosquitoes, mosquitoes, mosquitoes, mosquitoes, did I mention the mosquitoes? Staff was nice but frustrated. More a camping in the woods but inside a room frame of mind. A/C did work great, but the filter was last replaced in 1947. Culebra is a magnificent enchanted island that should not be missed, DO MISS THIS PLACE and stay in one of the many guest houses. BELIEVE THE BAD REVIEWS!

Room Tip: Dont stay there!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank jcrobaina
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Hotel has beautiful views! Say good morning to the Caribbean off your personal balcony! Our room was very modern! We were surprised how nice it looked and the features it had! You can cook your meals in your rooms personal kitchen to save a little cash. The beds are comfortable and there is a living room area with a table to dine. The bathrooms were clean and also modern! The main area of the hotel had a nice infinity pool with a swim up bar and a hotel lounge open to the outside over looking the Caribbean that had a bar, lounge and on the weekends live entertainment. Our only drawn backs were; we had to carry/cart our luggage to our rooms which was up hill and a little far down the path. They had a couple golf carts, but wouldn't take us. We would suggest renting a Jeep from Carlos Jeeps right away before you go anywhere. You will need the Jeep to drive to the hotel, it is off the beaten path, and also to get around the island to explore the many gorgeous beaches! Like I said the hotel is off the beaten path and you will do a little off road'n to get there, however it is worth it! My suggestion to the hotel would be sparing the expense to fix the road and the entry way so people can find the location easier. Also, If you want tv/cable in your room it is extra. The signal is not good out on the island, however it is a beautiful island! What are you doing sitting in your room! Get out the and explore!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DawnLJ2013
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This resort has 2 hotels on it. Costa Bonita and sea breeze. Pass on both. They are both horrible. I checked in on Aug 12 2013 and they asked me to sign it. Don't do it buyer beware. After you sign this paper you have 15 min to cancel or you lose your money. See the rooms. Ours had no toilet paper, no air oh and the toilet was backed up. They say cause theirs no pressure on the island, their water comes from vieques. And sometimes there's no water at all. The nice picture of the pool close up is full of bugs and a mess. I locked the room and they actually stole my sneakers. Thats crazy. One thing I have never seen is maintenance dept leaves And there is No one after 5.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Vicente G
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My partner and I stayed here over my birthday weekend. The grounds are beautiful with amazing views of the bay and a charming open-air lodge/lobby. However, we noticed right away that the place is run-down. Everything looks nice from a distance, but when we looked closer we noticed that the lobby tables and couches were dirty and a bit shabby. The pool area looked great from afar, but when we got closer it had mold on the tiles and the water was a bit cloudy. When we were allowed into our room we were disappointed that there too the furniture was rundown and shabby. If it were just a shabby, run-down place I probably wouldn't have been so disappointed but the room was also dirty. There was dust on all the tables and on the TV. There were no towels in the bathroom and no comforter or blanket on the bed, only a thin sheet. The one bath mat that was in the bathroom was streaked with grime. The bed sheets had stains and black streaks. When I tried to call the front desk about these issues there was no answer so we had to walk back through the entire grounds (we were given a room in the top group of buildings, up a couple of steep hills) to the front desk. We eventually received several towels, but no hand towels or wash cloths. We also were eventually given more sheets, but those too had what appeared to be rust stains on them. The sheets were placed outside of our door while we were out so I had to changed them myself. Finally, we did receive a blanket for the bed, but it was a twin size blanket and the bed was king sized!! The bathtub leaked water all over the floor and was backed up so after a day at the beach there was a bunch of sand sitting at the bottom. Overall, we had a great time in Culebra, but it was really despite the hotel and its staff who were not particularly helpful or friendly. Finally, there was no maid/clean service so our room stayed dirty the entire time and our towels were not replacedThe island is gorgeous, but stay somewhere else. Don't be fooled by the pictures the hotel posts that make it seem like a luxury resort. It seems to me that the money is being put into ads and not the actual hotel. Buyer beware.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Magicswing
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The good : A/C worked great and great views.
The bad: pool was dirtyyyyy, the water was green and had alge everywhere. Needless to say we never used it. Foul smell( swer) around pool area. Mosquitos everywhere, bring repellent and bug spray. Every time we went in or out of the room about 50 Mosquitos will get in. No housekeeping unless you stay for more than three nights. Just one set of towels. No towels for pool or beach. No transportation to or from hotel to fery

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Lymarie79
Reviewed August 1, 2013

On my second stay at sea Breeze I expected an improvement in the service , especially during the high season of July. Had to wait like 30 mins for the check in. No enough employees to help you! I even booked four days, and by mistake they booke only 3 . Since I didnt check my confirmation carefully, they entered my room, took all my stuff out of the room and lost my daugthers cell phone. After me and my husband told them about lawers and sues they got us another room. Such an embarrasing and terrible experience

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank WandaCamacho
Also consider these accommodations in or near Culebra
1 mi away
#3 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Sea Breeze Hotel? Share your experiences!