“Not what we expected...”
Review of Sea Breeze Hotel

Sea Breeze Hotel
Ranked #18 of 19 Specialty Lodging in Culebra
“Not what we expected...”
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

The room and the view is amazing. But... both pool area stations for eating or drinking are closed. There is this concesionary that does not belong to facilities that serve wings, porkchops, turnovers and fries. Cool drinks are available at the place.
One thing I strongly recomend... dont used the traditional ferry to come here, it took us 12 hours in order to get one. Another thing, you need transportation this place is st the other side of the island nothing is close by.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have always been the one to believe reviews and hotel rating but with this 3 star rating and the lack of booking time; I went ahead and booked online. While reading reviews, I actually believed that reviews for this hotel were inaccurate due to the fact that some people exagerate and the pics were nice. But after staying for 3 days, two nights at this hotel; I have the REAL recommendation for your stay.
Keep in mind I am not telling you not to stay here but I am just making you aware of some things you might want to know. I will list things I experienced on my trip and see if you can deal with; then you make your own judgement.
1) Customer service: I was not impressed because when I first got there; there were two clerks at the counter talking for a while before we were acknowledged. Sometimes I had to wait for a while until someone would come back to customer service because there was nobody available or they were eating looking at me but did not bother to see what I was needing.
2)Location: I had an ocean front view, and this is all I got because there is not a beach nearby. The hotel is in a remote mountain top away from everythimg. If you did not drive, you have to wait around 45 minutes for a taxi cab to take you anywhere you want to go.
3)Cleanliness: This place has to be about the filthiest places I stayed in. First the drapes are about 20 years old; the counters were covered in dust, the kitchen drawers and utensils were dirty and not complete sets. There was a small dirty microwave and refrigerator with not freezer; and no stove.
The bathroom had a leak which went all over the bathroom floor; the towels were cheap and used. We were only given two towels for 3 days and were told that room service only cleans every third day. Any extra towel will have a deposit in case guest take them, for real?.
The Sofa was real old and a sheet was provided to seat on it, the bedroom had a queen size matress on top of a full size boxspring. The T. V. in the bedroom was connected but it did not work. The phone cord was cut which was an inconvenience because the only way to reach anyone was to walk and wait at the service desk which closes at 9:00pm. There were holes on the closet doors and the water heat did not work too well.
T.V.: There are a limited amount of channels to watch, any additional channels, you will have to pay; service provided by Direct T.V. also the living room T. V. has special sound effect, as the speaker sounds terrible when you raise the volume.
Pool: The pool area was nice, one big pool and two small pools with a pool bar. The kids pool was a little dirty but I am guessing from the overnight bugs and leaves. The ocean view was nice except that there is a sewage nearby that probably dumps into it making it smell bad.
Ice and Vending machine: Do not look for this as you will not find it. You will have to buy from the downstairs shop and get a full bag of ice with not place to keep because the refrigerator has not freezer.
Restaurants: there are two restaurants, one opens in the morning for breakfast and at night 6:00 pm for dinner. The other one opens during the day by the pool; but is not really a restaurant, just a snack place. Upstairs restaurant is overprice and selection is limited.
INSECTS: READ THIS PART****MOSQUITOES***** ALL OVER. I knew I was for a good one when we got to our room and mosquitoes were all over the breezeway ceiling. When we opened the door, we strating clapping, yes clapping and not because we were happy but because we were killing mosquitoes for about 30 minutes. We went to customer service and I was given a can of insect spray. After four hours of constant spraying, we could finally go to sleep and I still got a few bites on my legs. We highly recommend bringing OFF repelent and and insecticide for flying insects. We also encounter a couple of big roaches and a lizzard in the room.
You might ask yourself, why we did not leave? Well, I paid around $180 per day online and it was non-refundable. After calling, I was told I could be place in another room but we did all that work to keep the insects out; I did not want to do it again.
Good: We visited Famenco Beach and the Kiosk there were nice, bring your OWN beach towels as you will not get any at the hotel without a deposit. Bring a cooler to the beach and do not stay out past 6:00pm because the mosquitoes will eat you alive thus the name Mosquitoe Bay. Also Eat somewhere in town, it will save you money. Do NOT attempt to drive in the Island as the roads are narrow and locals drive CRAZY around those roads. In addition, there are NOT many Road signs.
After reading this, feel free to make your decision!!!!.

Room Tip: Ocean View closer to service desk.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank johnbrown64

Travelers are raving about these Culebra hotels

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed only 2 nights but my son and I had a great time in the pool, kayaking and had a great lobster dinner at the restaurant.
I would recomend for kids, realxing and fun time.
This is not a hotel in the metropolitan area, this is a great hotel stay, pr

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed June 30, 2013

At first it looks great, its a nice place, but once you enter, the rooms are dirty, deteriorated, the balcony and floor were extremely dirty. The kitchenette are not complete, no stove, tv without reception, not enough employees to give a good service. its a shame because the place is very nice and the facilities, location and pool are very good. :(

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sqj01
Reviewed June 28, 2013

When we arrived at the resort there was a crowd of people staying in. The pool is irresistible to be and the lobby and bar areas are gorgeous. We stay three days and in overall the resort is in accordance with the value.

San Juan
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed in this"hotel" and our first complain was that the room was not ready at 5pm when we arrived.This was two hour later from check in time which is at 3pm.When we complainted about this the front desk said that the check in time ranges from 3pm to 9pm when the reservation said clearly that check in time is at 3pm.No gesture of apology was made for this incovenience.The other thing is that the room was outdated and have a leak from the ac.I will not recommend this hotel, there are better options to stay in Culebra.

3 Thank lolaramos
Nagubo
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Recently I was staying in this hotel with my family. It was an unpleasant experience. First I will begin with the bathroom in the lobby. It was dirty, dark, full of mosquitoes and one of the cubicles in the bathroom had no light. The kids pool was dirty. The kitchen in the room had no utensils. The sofa bed had no quilt or blanket.The room was full of mosquitoes. At the roof of the entrance of the room were thousands of mosquitos. The balcony door lock, was not working. The TV only had local channels. If you wanted to see televison with satellite, you had to pay extra for this service. The first night, we killed about 20 mosquitoes. The next day, we bought flying insect killer. We killed all the mosquitoes at the entrance of the room. We went to the lobby and explained that we did not have a quilt or blanket of the sofabed. The guy at front desk told me that they(room service) had not finished four rooms. He said that when the 4 rooms were finished, if something was left over, they will take it to my room. After an hour they brought the blanket.
We did not see anyone giving towels in the pool area. We took the room towels to the pool and use them. At my room, I call to the reception to ask for new towels. The woman asked me why if it was only a day that we had arrived, we were already asking to change the room towels. I said that we went to the pool and used the towels to dry off and we needed dry towels to get a bath. She told me that I had to bring the towels to the front desk .
My husband went to deliver the towels and they told him that if he wanted to change the towels he had to pay $ 25 for each. My husband explained that they did not have towels for the pool and they told him that he had to ask at the front desk and not use the room towels. Then the manager told him that he could make a deal with him and leave them at $ 10 each. My husband did not argue with them and took the wet towels back to the room. I was very angry. It was unbelievable that they want to charge us $ 100 or $ 40 to change some towels. The towels would not be for us, but the hotel would stay with them. The next day early in the morning we went to the front desk and asked for towels for the pool. They said they had no towels and told us to use the room towels. Incredible!

This was my third time staying in Culebra but I always stayed at Bahia Marina. They do give you a good service. They pick you up and take you to the port, give you a play yard for your baby to sleep, have satelite and all kitchen utensils. You can use the room towels for the pool and then they bring you new towels. Unbelievable!

Sea Breeze, prefers to lose customers and damage their image than have a satisfied customer. I would not return to stay at this hotel and I recommend that you do not either.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jessica0189
javicela, Manager at Sea Breeze Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for sharing your opinion. I would like to let you know a couple of things we appologize you did not realize during your stay.
Our sofa bed quilts and linen is on the first drawer besides the sofa. If for some reason they were not provided, we are glad you called front desk and we were able to take care of that.
The pool towels are given in the entrance to the pool area and clubhouse at the front desk. We are sorry you missed it. The charge for the towels is only imposed when the towels are misused by guests resulting in the towel being discarded. Change of room towels are free for all guests at all times. In some cases, guests misuse or abuse of hotel properties, may result in a charge of the replacement cost.
We apologize for the inconvenience, we have taken preventive action in the clubhouse bathrooms and added more insecticed to prevent mosquitos entering the Clubhouse bathroom. Your last remarks seem like you have a relation with the competitors, but we are always glad to know more about our clients and there experience.
We hope to see you again sometime in the future and please remember to always ask for anything you need at the front desk, we are here to serve you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Culebra
Club Seabourne
#6 of 19 in Culebra
Palmetto Guesthouse
Palmetto Guesthouse
#4 of 19 in Culebra

Been to Sea Breeze Hotel? Share your experiences!