“amazing views”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Culebra
Culebra Beach Villas
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Culebra
Reviewed April 25, 2008

Stayed with 3 other adults for 4 nights and we had a great time. The 2 bedroom apartment was clean and spacious. A little rundown but better to track in sand that way. The kitchen was fully equiped and the shower was super hot. Some resident cats kept us company and the roosters were a wonderful alarm clock! Flamenco beach is amazing. Very empty and quiet. Local culebra residents are womderfully helpful, most speaking good english. The hammocks are great and the bbq area is spacious for a dinner party with new friends. We never wanted to leave. Love culebra!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mndy77

Reviewed March 29, 2008

My daughter and I spent four nights at Culebra Beach Villas. We arrived with some reservations having read a few very negative reviews of these villas on this website. Our experience there was very POSITIVE.

Our studio unit was number three behind the main building. The room was clean, comfortable and cool. The frig kept our beer cold and the freezer provided ice. The hammock on the porch was a comfy place to nap.

It was a two minute walk to the soft silky sand of Flamenco Beach. There you could just hang out soaking up the sunshine. If you wanted you could jump in the turquoise blue water to boogie board or take a short walk down the beach to snorkel.

Most days we hiked a mile or so to go snorkeling along a coral reef that had the most incredible sea life. We got there by 9 or 9:30 and had the beach to ourselves for quite sometime.

I love to travel and explore whenever I can. I've been so very lucky to have visited incredibly beautiful beaches on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, the panhandle of Florida, Harbour Island in the Bahamas, Essaouira in Morocco and Zanibar off the coast of Tanzania. Flamenco Beach in Culebra is one of the most spectacular.

We loved the relaxing atmosphere of the villas. We didn't mind the roosters roaming around and cockledoodledooing 24/7. We enjoyed the party life of some of our neighbors in villas closeby. We liked vacationing with the locals.

I wish I could return tomorrow. Ahhh....it was perfect for us!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank crunnermom
Reviewed February 26, 2008

My husband and our 4 year old daughter stayed in Unit 3A at CBV from 2/20-2/22. The location is fabulous! It was so nice hearing the ocean from your bedroom, that was def worth the price! But the villa itself, for the price, should of been better. Half of our shutters did not open, therefore, we could not get any type of breeze through them. Some of the windows were missing screens so we could not open them at all. I went to open a cabinet in the kitchen and the handle fell off. The villa def needed some improvements but it did not ruin our vacation. We rented a jeep thru carlos jeep for the two days. toured the island. very nice. flamenco beach is out of this world and the location was awesome but i dont know if the actual villa was worth the money!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank lvn2travl
Reviewed February 7, 2008

In 22 years of visiting 24 islands in the Caribbean I have experienced only two beaches that I like better than Flamenco. Classic, beautiful, long, wide, soft white sand.
My room, however, was dreadful. No window in the bedroom. It was like going into a cave. When I asked the next morning to be moved, I was told that all the rooms were taken. That was not true. There were very few people on the property. Even on the weekend, it didn't look like even half the units were being used. I walked around at night and counted those with lights.
I was in 1-C. The couple next to me was in 1-E. (I don't know what happened to 1-D. Maybe that's where Harry Potter and his friends stay!) 1-E was even worse than mine, narrower, and only one window in the kitchen and none in the bedroom.
They had made their reservation in November. I had made mine October 8. Why the resort assigned such horrible rooms to early renters and why they refused to move us to something better is a mystery.
I talked to three young people who had a better unit on the second floor, and they had just made their reservation the weekend before.
I met another couple who invited me to see their room. It was on the second floor front and was very nice, French doors opening onto the porch with a great view. Lots of windows. They had made their reservation only three weeks earlier, at the end of December!
Maybe many of the other upper rooms are as nice as theirs and that's why we are reading such drastically different reviews about this place.

Stayed: January 2008
5  Thank LittleRaven
Reviewed January 21, 2008

My wife and I spent 5 nights at Culebra Beach Villas (CBV) from 1/12/08 to 1/19/08 in unit #16, a studio efficiency for $125/night.

Here are my thoughts on CBV and I wish that I had a reco for another place, but all I really saw enough of to review was the villas.

The one big pro:

1) If you really want to be very near Flamenco beach, there are only 3 options: the campground, Flamingo Beach Villas(right next to CBV) and CBV. So the location is primo for this and there aren't many options.

Flamingo beach really is gorgeous, but without much shade during much of the day and crowded :) (I know I'm jaded when I write this --10-20 people on the beach during the week) compared to Zoni or Rosario which we really had to ourselves.

However, it's worth mentioning that there are very few amenities at the beach (we were only able to buy water at the office) and so rented a jeep. Since Flamenco is only ~5 minutes from Dewey (the only town and where the ferry docks), and as we visited most of the other beaches listed in the travel guides instead of spending all our time on Flamenco, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to spend ~$85 and stay closer to town, but as I say, I only know about CBV from my stay.

And now the several cons:

1) Although the studio was clean, the appliances didn't work properly.

- Our refrigerator didn't cool and our freezer was (we think) the temperature of a fridge. Despite some tries, management never fixed it.

- The electric range gave bad shocks if one wasn't insulated from the floor.
Management’s suggestion was to cook in shoes.

- The wax seal on the toilet leaked on the final day after clogging for the 4th or 5th time which was really gross.

- This isn't really an appliance issue, but the kitchen area is very small, so the sink is actually a bar sink and very hard to fit pots into.

2) Normal sorts of supplies that one expects with an efficiency were lacking. So we received 2 bath towels and one bath mat and 2 pillows and 2 sheets and a blanket, but no wash cloths, no sharp kitchen knives--only butter knives, no utensils for the barbeque, no hand towels for the kitchen, no normal sorts of leftovers like coffee filters, salt and pepper. Also sheets and towels are only changed 1 every 4 days (supposedly) and for us never during our 5 day stay (I had gotten tired of talking ineffectually to management by then).

3) Roosters, Chickens, and Cats: the whole compound is full of roosters, chickens and cats. I found that unless I ran the air conditioner (which cut out the sound of the surf or a huge reason to sleep near the beach), I would be awakened by roosters at first light and then continuously until about 9 unless I got up sooner.

The porch attached to the studio is very pretty with hammocks and plenty of lounging chairs etc, but they are also covered with chicken droppings and the smell is noticeably barnyard like and makes everything dirty.

4) The 'villas' are each independently owned and the manager on-site doesn't seem to have the concern that an 'owner operator' might (of course they have a near lock on accommodations on the beach). Also the office is open very short hours 10am-1 (I think) and then 2-5, so one has to wait around or come back early to find the manager.

So overall, I gave it a 2 because the location is very good and the unit is clean. But for people who intend to cook in the unit or who care much about chicken droppings on the porch or roosters crowing at dawn, I cannot recommend CBV.

My wife felt that it was the type of rental one might expect to pay 45/night for on the North Carolina coast (without the roosters) if this helps anyone get an impression of CBV.

Just a few comments on Culebra:

-The island is absolutely stunning and incredible.
-I would highly reco renting a vehicle and budgeting accordingly.
-Like everywhere in the Caribbean, the coral is mostly dead, but if one can look beyond this, the snorkeling at Rosario is great.
-If you can bring food to the island, do.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12  Thank JaredCulebraVisit108
Reviewed December 27, 2007

Just to set the context, I'm a woman in my mid-30s who travels for pleasure frequently and lives in NYC. Just got back from a stay here over xmas 2007.

Culebra Beach Villas
I have to agree with the other reviewers, that when you go to Culebra Beach Villas, you should go into it knowing what to expect - and you will not be disappointed. These are clean places to sleep, somewhere to keep your beer or beach drinks cold and to hang your snorkeling gear or bathing suits to dry - but not much else. You don't need anymore as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world sits feet away. You definitely stay here for the location. The villas are very basic. We stayed in #10, which was a 1-bdroom. Paid US$175 per night. The outer room had 2 twin beds and since there was only 2 of us traveling, we were able to spread out our stuff. Our villa was complete with microwave, fridge, stove, sink, etc. -- what you need to put together a snack or lunch. The bedroom was fine, the sheets and pillowcases appeared to be clean - athough if you have dust mite allergies as I do, best to bring your own pillow/sheet dust mite covers - I could tell there were a lot of dust mites in the bedroom. Our villa didn't have a hammock but there were several nearby and they are big enough for two. Although we would've loved a little more water pressure in the shower, we had plenty of room, hot water, in the bathroom etc. If you desire large bath towels, bring your own. The ones they give you do the trick, but they are small and they are not changed during your stay (the sheets/pillowcases are not changed either unless you are there longer than 4 days). Ditto on beach towels as they are not provided. All other places to stay are in town or by the harbor - this is the only place steps from the beach. Our front door lock was squeaky and the AC in the bedroom wasn't as strong as we'd like, but hey, you're in Culebra!

Beach
I've been to a lot of beaches around the world - this one is truly breathtaking. Pristine white sand. Gorgeous blue water with mild surf and no condos or other buildings anywhere in sight. Very few people as well. . Definitely walk the beach at night - the stars are amazing.

Other stuff
Tony, who runs the front desk, is helpful and responsive. He set us up with kayaks and made some local calls for us (our cells didn't get any reception at the Villas, only in town). We rented beach chairs for $5 each per day (though they take them back at 4pm). We saw some people bbq-ing, but we thought the grills were a bit spartan and dirty and ours was missing the grill part. Lots of beach cats, hens and roosters and a friendly but nosy beach dog at the Villas - we had fun with them as they are relatively clean and tame and we even bought some cheap chicken feed in town. While the road to the villas is bumpy as it is unpaved, we preferred being able to "get away" even from the small town in Culebra so we were really alone. The Villas runs on cisterrn water - better to be safe than sorry - drink only bottled water, you can buy it by the gallon relatively cheaply in the supermercado in town. Snorkeling by the hotel is not great, the reefs are pretty dead. If you check the threads for Culebra, you'll learn there are closeby snorkling sites that are excellent.

Make sure you buy what you need in town - sun screen, snacks, mosquito/bug spray (a MUST) etc as there are no amenities like this at the villas. Strongly recommend you rent a car if you are staying more than a day or two.

I recommend eating at Barbara Rosas - great home cooking, right on her porch. Mamacitas was good for breakfast and dinner as well, and had a live drum band playing at night.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
13  Thank ladyesq
Reviewed September 6, 2007

My Family and I stayed at Culebra Beach Villas last summer, and was amazing, the place is so fresh, the room was very clean and the peole are very friendly. We waked up and went directly to Flamenco Beach, that was awesome. That does not have comparisson, you "are" in the best beach. And during the night, you can see the most wonderfull sky with a million of star, because there is no light contamination. I want to return the next winter.

6  Thank AnaliaMiami
Also consider these accommodations in or near Culebra
Club Seabourne
27 mi away
Ocean Pearl
Ocean Pearl
#3 of 3 in Luquillo

Been to Culebra Beach Villas? Share your experiences!