“Cheap....”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Culebra
Silver Spring,MD
“Cheap....”
Reviewed August 21, 2009

I stayed at this place one night, it wasnt the greatest considering it only had a bed and a bathroom but me and my girlfriend just needed a place to crash. If you plan to stay make sure you take the basics like shampoo and soap...they do provide towels.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed January 22, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Kokomo 2 nights, fully knowing that we were just using it as a place to crash at night. We stayed in room number 7, which was just big enough for a full size bed (if that's what you call an old wooden frame with a 2 inch thick mattress) with one sheet and had a tiny dollhouse sized bathroom. I felt dirty from the moment I walked in the room, the only thing remotely positive was that we had airconditioning.

We had read the reviews (unfortunatly after we booked the room) that said there were sugar ants, and they were correct. There were major amounts of sugar ants, all over the walls, especially in the bathroom & on the last day we saw them in our bed (eeww! i'm getting itchy just thinking about it!). I could barely shower the 2nd day because it felt so dirty, and by the last day the stench was so bad I had to hold my breath when in the room.

If you are going to Culebra for the beaches, spend the extra money and get a nice place, don't waste your money at Kokomo. I don't know how they are still in business. It almost ruined our experience on the island, I would NEVER reccomend this place to anyone- no matter how cheap it is!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — it was terrible, the stench, ants and tiny room were horrible!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank DeniseMF

Travelers are raving about these Culebra hotels

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed August 30, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Kokomo a few nights. Sure, this is probably not the Ritz (I wouldn’t know) but it’s a decent place to crash and the island of Culebra is such a beautiful place and the people there (locals and most of the tourists) are so friendly that you don’t care. There is a bed. You can have a shower and the staff is friendly. If you want a spa, a tennis court and a wellness center – go somewhere else!

• Liked — near the ferry
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LimeRed
wi
Reviewed July 10, 2008

Please do not stay here you are better off camping out at Flamenco Beach. This is the worst place I ever stepped in. My family and I just reserved it for the day to have a place to shower and change before our flight. They do not even provide soap nor complementary shampoo. The room is so dumpy looking and not even a tv. I recommend just camping out or just visit the island for the day. Try A- 1 VACATION first.

I have never been so upset and I will make sure every travel site is aware of this. This place is no place for a family. I do know how this type of place can exisit.

This place should be shut down.

Please take my advice. For what this cost $85.00 a nite you can find something better.

• Liked — when we checked out.
  • Disliked — everything we should get a refund.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank dsanchez9
Brussels
Reviewed February 23, 2008

The first surprise upon arriving at this 'hotel' was that it wasnt even open for us to drop off our stuff. The place offers no breakfast and opens up when convenient to the owners around 10:30-11am. It also closes at about 5pm, as well as for a good long lunch break. The second surprise after seeing our rooms (we had the big penthouse, with a lovely view of the harbour indeed, but that was pretty much all there was to it), was that the owners had overcharged us!(our only consolation when we saw the rooms was that at least we weren't paying that much for it, but that idea soon colapsed when we checked our bank accounts(140$ for a crappy hotel). The experience itself in the rooms left much to be desired for: lamps that didnt work, sheets that hadnt been changed for decades, a feeling of overall dirtiness; The place is badly in need of restoration. Despite some amateur efforts to bring some colour in the room, it was far from what we had envisaged. It was obviously a business with little respect to the client. I wouldnt recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — the view from the 'penthouse'
  • Disliked — everything else: the rooms, the lack of cleanliness, no service, bad hours, everything was carp and pricey. locals on the island also warned us off the hotel, but we had already booked and we had been charged (overly)
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Taxidiarenia
Seattle
Reviewed September 13, 2007

The rooms are the cheapest on Culebra and fine if you're not too picky about decor or extras and just want a simple hotel. My boyfriend and I were there to enjoy the beaches rather than spend time in the hotel so as a place to crash for the night Hotel Kokomo met all of our needs. Conveniently located especially if you're coming into town on the late ferry and cheap taxies right up front to take you to the beach. One word of warning, though. Bring some earplugs if you're a light sleeper or sensitive to noise. The ferry dock is right outside the window, as are crowing roosters and local businesses that open early. Like I said, though, there was nothing wrong with this hotel at all for the price and if you're looking for something simple.

• Liked — The price
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank islagoddess
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed September 11, 2007

We stayed in #12 at Hotel Kokomo, which is one of the two "penthouse" suites.

Good:
the pictures were great and the location was pretty good. The view from the balcony was amazing. It was huge, and great for entertaining some of the people we met on the ferry over. The kitchen was nice to have, too, although the cooking utensils weren't very good.

Bad:
Our rooms were infested with sugar ants and some sort of biting insects - I believe fleas, although I'm not sure. Regardless, while washing dishes in the morning I got 24 bug bites on my ankles, feet and calves.
There was only air conditioning in one back room. This made the front rooms unbearably hot to sleep in.
Most of the lights didn't work, and the people at the front desk/office acted surprised. They didn't try to fix them, though.
It's a bit of a walk to anywhere in the town (although it's very small). We spent a lot of time at Mamacita's, and after the first night we actually moved there to stay because of the problems at Kokomo. (I'd recommend Mamacita's over Kokomo in a heartbeat. It's not perfect, but it's much nicer.)
The furniture was generally dirty.
There wasn't really a lock on the door - it was a tiny, cheap padlock that could be smashed open quite easily. The doors also didn't slide well, so it was almost impossible to lock up the apartment.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — The room!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank andrewsspam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Culebra
Club Seabourne
#3 of 4 in Fajardo
Malecon House
Malecon House
#1 of 6 in Isla de Vieques

Been to Hotel Kokomo? Share your experiences!