Capt Dan Classic Sails Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: I love to sail! I do customized sail trips and sailing lessons designed to be just what you want and when you want. If it sounds like fun to you it will probably sound like fun to me - so let's do it!
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We spent a perfect day sailing to Dakity and Culebrita for a great snorkel, manageable small hike and time on a seriously perfect beach. The tidal pools that Capt. Dan took us to were awesome - definitely otherworldly and something we never would have found on our own.
The sailing part was amazing and my favorite. It had been several years since I spent the summer sailing around the Baltic with family friends and I had forgotten how amazingly relaxing it is to sail. (AND you actually SAIL there's no stinky motor with fossil fuels polluting the ocean on this trip - which I really appreciate!)
Capt. Dan has extensive sailing experience, but was also happy to answer really basic questions I had about sailing, too.
This is a must for anyone visiting Culebra!

2  Thank SKB328

Reviewed January 11, 2013

I’ve read so many reviews from Honeymooners and Sunset Cruisers, and I wondered, “How will my 9-yr-old like this?”… Well, HE WAS IN HEAVEN!

We sailed w/Capt.Dan on Jan 2, 2012, as a Family of 3 - and our destination was Isla Culebrita. The winds were a little swift, the surf a little high and the tidal surges were magnificent. In the care of a less experienced Seaman/Guide, these could all be negatives… But Capt. Dan made it an adventure to remember!

Upon request, my son got to man the tiller, as well as the winch, and he loved ‘heeling’ in the wind. We love to snorkel, so Dan let us poke-around a bit while he took everything to shore. Body-surfing was amazing, and we got to watch some seasoned surfers whip through a narrow pass in the coral reefs.

We trekked through the volcanic rock paths (Buy the best all-terrain shoes you can – KEEN – you won’t regret it!) to the tidal pools, and bathed in between surges. One surge was unexpectedly high, and Dan wrapped himself around my son and held him up safely. Next, he took my son over to the volcanic rock walls to peek inside some indentations that held geodes, forming crystals…

My son Jasper took some souvenir stones (including some green "Jasper" stone) and coral pieces from the trip, and they are prominently featured as our Dining Room Centerpiece now – Bet you didn’t know you were an Inadvertent Decorator too – Did ya’, Dan! LOL. Two thumbs Up!

2  Thank Shaler W
Reviewed January 9, 2013

During a recent vacation to Puerto Rico, my boyfriend and I were looking for an ideal day trip to one of the islands that would end up creating one of my most cherished memories of our relationship thus far.

We had received various recommendations to day trip to Culebra so upon our arrival to the island from the ferry and after taking in some of the island culture at a local bar, we immediately sought out Dan's sailing expertise. A quick jaunt down to the dock where the boat was kept, we jumped on board and immediately were cast upon the beautiful scenery the island and its coastal waters had to offer. After a beautiful sail to one of the islands perfect little coves, we geared up with snorkeling equipment and took to the calm waters. The likes of a sea cucumber, sea turtles, starfish, and sea urchins lined the cove's floor and with the sun shining brightly and the conversations that were shared, the day was completely won over.

Dan is an extremely adept sailor taking precise precautions and exercising succinct communication while we were sailing. Aside from sailing stories, his stories about the island, his experiences on the island, and his input into our conversations made this experience more than impressive!

I highly recommend this experience to anyone that visits the island!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Captain Dan took us out on a evening/night sail around Culebra...Beautiful! Capt Dan is very friendly and wonderful tour guide. He is from San Fransisco, where he charters boats for six months out of the year, before coming down to Culebra to do the same. He gave us some really interesting facts about the island, before we went up to the front of the boat to have a more private experience. We brought wine and cheese, and watched the sunset. If there is no moon in the sky, you can see the bioluminesence of the bay after sunset, and even jump in for a little swim. As we sailed back into the harbour we were treated to the best views of the town's New Years fireworks - very romantic!

1  Thank Ernestine L
Reviewed January 1, 2013

One of the best experiences. Sailing then a bit of hiking and we found ourselves in paradise on earth. The beach at culebrita was almost empty and thanks to Dan we saw places we would have never seen otherwise. Highly recommend. We were 5 adults ages 56 to 20 and everyone had an amazing time