“Guesthouse with great rates and locations”
Review of The Lighthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Culebra
The Lighthouse
Ranked #7 of 19 Culebra B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Guesthouse with great rates and locations”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

My husband and I called the Lighthouse last minute (23 May 2012) to see if 1) they had rooms available, and 2) they were a decent price (other places we tried were $100+). Mary, one of the owners was very gracious and allowed us to stay 1 night, even though she usually requires 2, (we actually ended up staying another night), at a cost of $80/night. She picked us up from the ferry dock and was friendly and helpful right off the bat. The property itself is freaking adorable! Room was neat and clean, colorful and nicely decorated. Furnishings consisted of: bed, microwave, mini fridge, clothes drying vertical rack, larger shelving unit for your clothes, small patio type table, plastic chairs, beach towels, cooler, cups, plates, bowls and eating utensils. The last handful of items were way more than we expected and were much appreciated! Bathroom was also nicely decorated with a fish theme, and we had plenty of hot water. They had an outside shower so you can rinse off the sand upon entering the room. AC wall unit worked well and kept us cool. Bed and pillows were a bit firm for me, but my husband was fine. Location is great; not so near the tiny downtown area to be obnoxious, but close enough so a 10 minute or so walk will get you there. We felt safe walking around, even at night when we got lost after taking a wrong turn on the way back to the Lighthouse. The folks around their area were friendly, helpful, and fluent in English. We met a lot of great people during our time in Puerto Rico, and Mary and David are among them. Both were friendly and helpful, and we had some really great conversations with them. We WILL be back to Culebra and will stay at The Lighthouse again!

Room Tip: There are four rooms available, we stayed on the one that faces the street and is closest to the out...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tennisballfish
mjwiedner, Owner at The Lighthouse, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. David and I really appreciate it. We enjoyed meeting you and hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 27, 2012

My wife and I just recently stayed here just a few days ago. The guesthouse is ideally located just a 5 minute drive from Flamenco Beach and the best snorkeling in Puerto Rico. Just 2 blocks away, there is a grocery store and just a few blocks more, the airport and Jeep Rentals. The owners, David and Mary, went out of their way to make our island stay a comfortable one. I had actually called Mary from the ferry terminal in Fajardo as I was going over her listing on my cell phone, and asked if she had a room available. Once my wife and I reached Culebra via ferry, Mary was already there waiting to pick us up. Her place sits in a quiet neighborhood just outside the main town of Dewey. The one bedroom had AC, a small fridge, microwave, and bathroom with a hot water shower. There was even a couple bowels, spoons, and beach towels to use if needed. All this for $80!! THE best value in town! I had called several of the more popular hotels in town and they were all charging $100 or more and did not offer the privacy and close proximity to everything as this place did. Perfect for couples! We really had a relaxing time on Culebra and our stay at The Lighthouse made it that more enjoyable. Our special thanks goes to David and Mary for your warm welcoming and also for further inspiring us in our plans to one day live abroad. We look forward to visiting with you soon. Take care!
Chris and Jess

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PathToEnlightenment
castries
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Although I spend just a night with two of my friends and we didn't have much interaction with the owners Mary and David, I can assure you won't feel disappointed with your stay at the Lighthouse. The room is completely clean and big enough for three of us. The water of the shower might have been not warm enough but no problem bathing at all. Also very clean. Mary also mentioned her plan of further renovation of the bathroom space equipped with a glass window. Both Mary and David are quite comfortable persons and always on time. Since I thought I could not use my oversea phone in PR so I couldn't contact them on that day to tell if we got the right ferry but she still came pick us up to the ferry dock which was really really nice. She even let us use her personal phone later. The location might be a little inconvenient for those who are not up for walking. The place is a good walk from both town(15min) and Flamenco beach(more than 20min) but it can be a nice exploration on the island. But the supermarket is within 2 minute walk. Thank you for your great hospitality and hope we'll see again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
mjwiedner, Owner at The Lighthouse, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Thank you for your positive comments. We did note that the water in your room was not as warm as usual, so we put in a new water heater which should fix the problem. We do recommend staying in Culebra for more than one night and renting a vehicle to explore the island. We are so glad that you had a good experience and we will continue to improve on our customer service.
Colorado
Reviewed March 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed here just a couple weeks ago for 2 nights and found it to be a very convenient location on the island. We were not staying long so we did not rent a car. Mary was kind enough to pick us up from the ferry when we arrived and then we walked or took the public transportation everywhere afterwards. (However, if you're staying for more than 2 days, I would recommend a car rental). Our room was quite spacious and Mary and David have provided a small cooler, beach towels, a mini fridge and some other nice perks with the room. They also made themselves available to answer any questions we might have about snorkeling, eating out and getting around. When Mary picked us up from the ferry she took a quick spin thru the downtown area to show us some of her favorite restaurants. Staying on Culebra was probably the highlight of our trip to Puerto Rico and we can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lauren G
New England
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I spent 3 nights at The Lighthouse and had a wonderful experience! Mary & David go above & beyond to help you out if you want it, but don't bother you if you don't want to interact with them. They have great suggestions for places to go, things to do, renting bikes, renting jeeps, etc. They care very much about the comfort of their guests and are very kind. If you need something, they will help you out or tell you where to get what you need.

There is a grocery store right around the corner that has all that you need. The rooms have a fridge, microwave, coffee pot, small beach cooler, regular towels, beach towels and even a drying rack for your wet beach gear. The rooms even have a nice rack to put your suitcase and other stuff on, a small table & chairs (nothing fancy, but nice to have), coffee mugs, bowls, spoons, and, of course, a/c. They thought of everything! There is a nice spot to sit outside, too, to enjoy the nice weather.

It is a little bit of a walk into town, but it also means that you are in a quiet neighborhood, which is what I prefer! The roosters crow all the time, but on Culebra, there is no getting away from that! The Lighthouse is very close to the airport, but Mary & David are still willing to pick you up so you don't have to carry your stuff. When Mary picked me up, she even drove me around town to orient me. They will pick you up at the ferry, too.

To get to Flamenco Beach or Tamarindo Beach, you can rent a bike (they can recommend), rent a jeep or golf cart, or just walk to the end of the road & wait for a taxi ($3/$5 each way, respectively). Town is about a 15 minute walk in the other direction. If you want to explore more than this, you may want to rent something with wheels (if you're going far, keep in mind that Culebra is very hilly...steep hills, so make your decision on your mode of transport based on this. Flamenco & Tamarindo Beaches aren't too hilly to get to, nor is town. But everything else is). This location, as well as the island is very safe and everyone is very friendly.

All in all, this is a great place to stay! I highly recommend The Lighthouse!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank ExploringCuriously
Sacramento, California
Reviewed February 23, 2012

The Lighthouse is a great place to stay in Culebra Island, most of all because Mary and David (the owners) are very very nice people and they made sure we were comfortable during our stay. Mary can pick you up from the ferry when you first arrive which is nice. The rooms are very clean; there is a refrigerator, microwave, cooler to take to the beach, coffee maker and beach towels. The hotel is one of the closest hotels to Flamingo Beach, however you have to take a bus to get there because it is a bit far to walk. The hotel is located in a residential area that is very quiet; around the corner is a small grocery store which is great for buying food to put in the fridge or take to the beach. The rooms have very pleasant colors and decorations. It is a great place to stay and we will definitely return!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Miss_shadee
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 23, 2012

We only booked this hotel because Posada La Hamaca had only a room for 2 nights, so we stayed here for the 1st night. My boyfriend and I were both really surprised how clean and charming this guesthouse was. First of all I was under the mistake impression that tha hotel was not in a convenient location, well, we realized actually that was the ideal loaction. We couldnt rent a bike or car as everything was sold out so we walked everywhere, to Playa Flamenco and to town, we actually preffered the walk rahter than taking a taxi. Staying at a hotel in town it makes no sense since you cannot walk to any beach, plus is very loud, I had 2 sleepless nights at Posada la Hamaca and we missed the Lighthouse. The guesthouse is on a nice quite street 2 block from the airport. The neighborhood had a very cozy feeling. A good part of the island has emty homes and it has an eerie feeling, we did not enjoy so much the town for this reason as well, it felt deserted....
The towels and linens were new, the room and bathroom freshly painted and there was a little touch to everything, you could see the owner's interest at heart for the guest to feel like home. They even had coffee in the room, how nice is that.......the rooms have new installed windows, which come in handy at night, at Posada we had no windows, only some old shutters, we could hear every noise form the loud street.
I wish we could have stayed there for the entire stay....the owners were so kind, when we left they gave us a lift to the other hotel so we don't have to drag our luggage thru the streets......
Few more owners like them and there is hope for Culebra :-))

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bella134
Also consider these accommodations in or near Culebra
Club Seabourne
#2 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
El Blok Hotel
El Blok Hotel
#1 of 1 in Esperanza

Been to The Lighthouse? Share your experiences!