“Beginners avoid Taz and Aquatic adventures!!! We had a scary experience!”
Review of Aquatic Adventures

Aquatic Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Aquatic Adventures provides a fun and safe dive experience. We can take up to 6 divers (we're not a cattle boat) with a dive instructor (not just a dive master). Taz has over 20 years experience as a Dive Instructor. Culebra is known for it's healthy soft corals and good visibility. We do not have streams to cloud up the water. The marine park provides an excellent place for the fish and lobster to grow and multiply. We love taking out families who can be a mix of divers and snorkelers or Discover Divers and experienced divers. .
Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Beginners avoid Taz and Aquatic adventures!!! We had a scary experience!”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Me and wife went to Puerto Rico/Culebra for our anniversary and picked Aquatic adventures based on reviews here. It was horrible and scary experience. We are not certified divers but have done a Discover Scuba course in Excellence resorts, Cancun(which was fantastic). We wanted to try it out again before we went ahead with the certification

In Cancun, training was done in a swimming pool where we both felt safe whereas Taz took us to the ocean and wanted to train us there!

Other than us there was another family which was going to do snorkeling. Taz took me and my wife for scuba and Taz's wife took the other family for snorkelling. They docked the boat somewhere in the middle of the ocean and all of us jumped into the water(basically the boat was unattended. Even if there was an emergency there was nobody to get the boat to you!!!)

Taz took us about 10ft down and disappeared. We expected him to be in close promixity to us considering this was a discover scuba course. It was just me and my wife and after a while we kept coming up to the surface and popped out. there was nobody around us and we couldnt see Taz or anybody around us. It was a freaking scary experience. After few minutes Taz found us and took us down with him again. After few more minutes, oxygen in my tank got very low below the threshold mark. We pointed it to him and he took us to the surface and asked us to swim to the boat which was pretty far away. It took us about 30 mins swimming in the ocean with the huge tank on our back.

We reached the boat and called it a day. We didnt do the second dive. He did refund half the cost and charged us only for one dive.

Unless you are a certified diver who is very confident, I strongly recommend you avoid Taz and aquatic adventures. It could be dangerous.

Now coming to the actual dive, he took us to a dead reef! There was absolutely nothing to see there. You'd rather put your head inside an aquarium!

We didnt see even fish! Just a few here and there, dead reef and one turtle! It was pathetic!

This was in complete contrast to our experience in Cancun where we felt completely safe, and a beautiful reef.

Please look at the picks from my Go Pro

Good luck!

Visited December 2012
9 Thank Srini_shastry
tazhamrick, Owner at Aquatic Adventures, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
We do Discover dives all the time in one of 3 ocean bays based on weather and wave conditions. All are quiet, low boat traffic areas with easy dives so the divers have time to work on buoyancy. We do over 500 Discover dives a year and have very few problems.

Culebra reefs are known for their abundant soft corals and 40-60 foot visability. I'm not sure why you took pictures of the sandy, open areas. And who doesn't love a turtle?!

Baltimore, Maryland
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Easy Diving”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I spent 3 days diving with Taz. We are both very experienced divers. For the first 2 days it was just us and Taz. On the third day another couple also dove with us. The boat is probably about 30 -35 feet, but we did not feel crowded with the other divers on board. Taz was professional and friendly and we enjoyed all of our dives. It is a small operation, so if your looking for a resort-like enviornment, you won't get that. You will get easy diving, lots of bottom time and no cattle-boat mentality. Taz took us to different spots each day and also offered us the option to swim or snorkel in between dives. The reefs are very healthy and since the dives are all 50 ft or less, Taz let us maximize our time under water. Culebra doesn't have a lot of large fish, but there is a wide variety of smaller fish to see. Visibility was also typically 40 ft plus despite the daily rains. In between dives Taz makes killer sandwichs and also provides other snacks, water and soda.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank gromeo65
Medford, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Absolutely one of the best experiences of my entire life!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I was on my honeymoon on Culebra, selected especially for the lack of "big city touristy resorts" and busy, scheduled trips. The plan was not to have a plan. We found the perfect place.

My wife and I found Taz and crew, and decided to try SCUBA diving. We had two beautiful dives, incredibly great visibility, and aquatic life everywhere. I fell in love, and decided to get open water certified that week. Couldn't beat the price. Couldn't beat the folks if you had a Louisville Slugger and a mean streak a mile long. Also, you get a healthy lunch included!

Captain Taz, Anne, and Todd were extremely friendly, professional, and had great humor. I spent most of my time with Taz, as I needed study and instruction for certification.

Taz is, as their website says, a true southern gentleman, and also has no lack of humor, and makes you feel right at home, regardless of your personality. I went out several times that week, and saw people who were hard to deal with, people who had a million questions, overexcited folks, and regardless, he was patient and able to have time to answer it all, or deal with it all in an easy-going fashion. This was also done with no lack of knowledge and no carelessness.

Watching Taz, you could see he had a LOT of experience. And he was very watchful of all the divers. People who had more anxiety, weren't strong swimmers, had a little more trouble, or just not completely comfortable were escorted arm in arm alongside him. There was also no lack of a watchful eye on all the participants, and when there were more, Todd was there to split the supervision and fun/sightseeing.

During my training, especially when it was required for me to be one-on-one with the captain, is when he changed to teacher and spoke serious. (no, the fun didn't stop) I'm an instrument rated commercial pilot. Flight training is much like the training I received, and as you can imagine there, here was also and even more so, a DEEP concern for my understanding of knowledge related to safety. I am not putting the physics of the diving aside, that intertwines with the knowledge and the practice, but when you don't get it right the first time, it is explained over, demonstrated over, and practiced over until you get it correct. Then you do it again. I left there confident I could do what I was certified to do safely.

All in all, I got along great with everyone, and had a ball. I'll be back in Culebra on the dive boat with Captain Taz and Todd before the year is out.

-James A Cook,

New PADI Open Water Diver

AS in Aviation Science
FAA Commercial Pilot, Instrument Rated and High-Performance/Complex Endorsed.

Also, BIG fan of Aquatic Adventures and lover of Culebra!

Visited June 2013
3 Thank JimC110512
New York City, New York
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Don't recommend for beginner divers. Divers Beware!”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Divers, please beware.

ESPECIALLY if you are a new diver interested in the Discover Scuba Dive session, please do me a favor and DON'T do it! I am a PADI-certified Open Water Diver and my friend wanted to try the Discover Scuba Dive. He was a bit nervous (isn't everyone nervous on their 1st dive) so I asked some basic questions to Taz when we first got on the boat waiting for other divers to arrive. He said he was going to go over basic instructions with my friend on the boat, then have my friend dive WITH US. He was the only divemaster on the boat and said that we were all going down together! I asked him, "But we are certified divers and allowed to go down to 18m. Isn't Discover Scuba just to 12m?" He says "No, where in the world did you hear that nonsense?"

I told my friend not to do it. My friend agreed. But when we got to the open water, my friend changed his mind and wanted to do it because it was only me, another diver, and my friend. I figured, even though this is ILLEGAL to have my friend who was a 1st timer, dive past 12m... it wouldn't be so bad since the divemaster to diver ratio was 1:3. AND, if my friend didn't feel comfortable and signaled to me, obviously I would stay with him and bring him up to the surface slowly.

When I told Taz my bf changed his mind, he let out a big sigh and said, "Are you SURE this time? You better not change your mind again."

I must say he is a miserable man. I have dived in Australia, Honduras, Turks and Caicos, Thailand, Mexico, The Philippines, etc and never have seen a divemaster/dive owner so disgruntled and mean. Every question I asked he would snap at me and give me sarcastic remarks. He would also snap at his wife too, which made my friend and I very uncomfortable.

I read another diver's review on here (scroll down, you will see it) and it had mentioned the same thing about Taz snapping at his wife (Ann), and at that time I gave it a benefit of doubt and thought "Well, everyone can have bad days. Esp if you are married and run a shop together and see each other's face 24/7, it's understandable that people could get a little irritated with one another." But this was not the case. I could see that Ann has been verbally abused from her husband for many years now. He treats her with disrespect, often second questioning her with almost everything she does "...Are you kidding me? What the hell is taking so long?!" (as we were waiting for her to pickup other divers from the cruise dock).

You know how most divemasters and dive operators usually talk to you during the boatride about the different dive sites, what kind of marine life you usually see, what kind of unusual marine animal they recently saw, where they dove in the past, where their favorite dive site was, etc? Well, you will get complete silence from Taz. He has his back turned to you, and will only answer your questions if he must. Ann did a terrific job trying to talk with us, she was also quite funny as well. It was a pleasure to have you with us on the boat, Ann... and thanks for the wonderful sandwiches you made for us.

Thank you for reading.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank fhk202
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Taz was great.”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

It was only myself, Taz, and my girlfriend on the beginner scuba adventure. Taz was knowledgeable about the island and surrounding waters. My girlfriend wasn't too keen on diving after we got in the water so she stayed behind to snorkel. He took us to two locations...both were beautiful! I was a little nervous when I first got under the water but once we went over our hand and safety signals he took it slow and made sure I was ok throught the entire dive. I felt very safe and I now love scuba diving! One thing to keep in mind..don't wait until the end of your vacation b/c you can't dive if you are flying up to 24 hours later. Luckily I wasn't but It's something they should mention the beginners when they book. Otherwise no complaints

Visited April 2013