“Not worth the money.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Aquatic Adventures

Aquatic Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Aquatic Adventures provides a fun and safe dive experience. We can take up to 6 divers (we're not a cattle boat) with a dive instructor (not just a dive master). Taz has over 20 years experience as a Dive Instructor. Culebra is known for it's healthy soft corals and good visibility. We do not have streams to cloud up the water. The marine park provides an excellent place for the fish and lobster to grow and multiply. We love taking out families who can be a mix of divers and snorkelers or Discover Divers and experienced divers. .
pennsylvania
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Not worth the money.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

Taz and his wife were pleasant people. However the price per person was exorbitant for the diving. There were six of us and we had all of our own gear. We were taken maybe 15 minutes from the dock and did two dives that were exactly the same. The conditions above the water were 86 and sunny. There had been no storms the entire week we were there. The conditions on the dive were terrible. Visibility was under 30 feet and very cloudy or dirty. One of the two worse dives we have ever had. It just seemed that they put no effort into finding a good site. In our research on Culebra for diving, we found a lot of reviews of over 35 sites and they stated how clean and nice the diving here was. We did not find this the case.
We also ran into issues with Air Flamenco and our dive luggage, so be careful with this.

Visited November 2011
8 Thank jpllrgl
tazhamrick, Owner at Aquatic Adventures, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
I wish this person had the common courtesy of advising me they were not satisfied with their scuba experience. We always TRY to find the best visibility, to afford our customers the best experience possible. While it was true there were no storms that week, what we did have was a strong Northerly swell which has an adverse affect on visibility. If this person had had the courage to say something, I could have explained this. As for price, we are one of the most inexpensive operators in Puerto Rico. I hope in the future they will afford the operator at least the opportunity to 'make things right'. Our goal, while being a bit ambitious, is to have 100% satisfaction.

Smithtown, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Dive with Capt. Taz Excellent Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

Bruce & I were PADI certified this summer (2011) with Captain Taz. We had an awesome experience. He was patient, fun, knowledgable, attentive to safety and informative. I felt that both Bruce and I had Captain Taz' full attention through out the experience. Taz and his lovely wife Anne were not only informative about the diving, but also the Isla Culebra. They spent time telling us about all of Culebra's beautiful beaches and how to get to them. We enjoyed all of Anne's wonderful lunches, which is a feature free with the dive. Underwater Taz is a genius. He brought us to a variety of dive sites everyday, and he was well versed on the magnificent sea life that exsists in Culebra. I would recomend Captain Taz and Acquatic Adventures to everyone. It was a trip we will make again in 2012. Ally & Bruce

Visited July 2011
9 Thank handyman2311
Culebra, Puerto Rico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“The best dives in Culebra w/Aquatic Adventures & Taz!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

My husband & I have been diving with Taz Hamrick and Aquatic Adventures in Culebra for almost 10 years now as we visit every year. Back then my husband was already certified; I was terrified of deep water. But my husband seemed to be having such a great time that I decided to see if I could get control of my fear long enough to enjoy the underwater scene. I did a "discover scuba" with Taz. He was soooooo patient with me. I think I just about broke his fingers with the death grip I kept on his hand during those dives. Needless to say, here we are 10 years later and I'm a certified advanced diver. I owe it all to Taz. If I had a bad experience during those first dives, I probably never would have tried it again.
We return to Culebra very year and dive only with Taz. He is the most reliable and friendly dive op on the island and he provides lunch on the boat. Great dives, great fun! We can't wait to return!

Visited August 2011
11 Thank shelliep1125
Bangor, Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Amazing First Dive Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

I wanted to write this review because when I was researching who to use as a first-time dive instructor on Culebra, there wasn't much information on Taz Hamrick and Aquatic Adventures. I don't know why: he and his experience was totally worth it.

For the record, Taz was cheaper and had more dives (two) in comparison to the other major dive company on the island. We did a short class on the boat, and then went into shallow (you can stand) water to practice breathing and learn basic safety techniques. I was nervous and my husband was not - Taz dealt with both of our moods effectively. The first dive was a gradual entry along the bottom, from the shallow beach to deeper water. The second dive (after lunch provided on the boat) was along the wall in Carlos Rosario, so we went straight down, using a rope attached to the bottom as a guide. Once I got used to the breathing and the mask, I felt perfectly safe and comfortable. We saw amazing flora and fauna, as well as a turtle, some lobsters, fish and some little creatures that looked like underwater spiders.

I would recommend Taz Hamrick and Aquatic Adventures for anyone interested in a Discovery dive experience in Culebra.

Visited April 2011