“Nothing Special, Impatient Dive Master/Captain”
Review of Culebra Divers

Culebra Divers
Ranked #3 of 18 Tours in Culebra
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Culebra Divers has operated a full service dive, snorkel, and gift shop since 1987 and we would love an opportunity to share it with you! We offer the best in brand name gear sales and rentals in a friendly, informative atmosphere. To better serve your diving needs we are also authorized dealers of H2Odyssey, TUSA, and SCUBAPRO diving equipment. Aside from all the "dive stuff," we carry everything you need for the beach and a the largest selection of T-shirts and souvenirs on the island!
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My husband and I have been diving several times around Puerto Rico and elsewhere, but never to Culebra until our last trip in May. Walter is the owner and Dive Master and he was nice, but not overly helpful. I always have trouble with my ears and instead of being a little patient or leaving me alone with my dive buddy for 5 minutes to allow me to do my usual tricks to get my ears to clear he told me to go to the surface and when I told him what was wrong he said "Well I can't help you if you're all the way over there!" then proceeded to hold my hand and force me down a little at a time. I'm a pretty calm person and I just wanted to enjoy my dive so I didn't let this get to me at the time. Although I'm very frustrated looking back on it. He has been doing this for so long, you would think he would know how to handle things with a little more tact.
Anyway, both of the dives we did were just okay. There was nothing special. I had told him and the girl who was running the dive shop that I was really hoping to see some nurse sharks, or baracudas, sea turtles, anything.... But he took us to the closest, most boring spot. I knwo that you can't be guaranteed to see certain wild life, but as a dive master who has been doing this for a certain amount of time, he should know where the best dive spots are and should take his customers there depending on what they are interested in. It was an easy dive with nothing to see, that's all. Afterwards, we were told by several locals that he always takes tourists to the same close spots because it's cheaper and he will use less gas. So it all made sense. I would not recommend anyone dive with him, he is not interested in satisfying his customers!

4  Thank Jennifer K

Reviewed June 14, 2012

We were really looking forward to seeing some fun stuff underwater, but the sites we visited consisted of coral...barely any fish or other creatures. Very disappointed.

2  Thank Kate D
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This was the place to go for snorkeling equipment and referrals for places to go to snorkel. The people at this place were extremely friendly and helpful as was everyone on this safe and beautiful island.

3  Thank lovestosnorkel823
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Extremely nice people. We rented mask, snorkel, & fins from them. The mask were not very good at all.

2  Thank JacqAsh81
Reviewed May 18, 2012

In the early 1980s I opened the first dive shop in Culebra.... And it was incorporated in Puerto Rico under the name Culebra Divers.... I ran it for two years and then decided to move to Vieques island... (20 or so years till I retired)
My name is Vernon and I have no connection with either Walter or the new Culebra Divers.. This is just a FYI.
Vernon