“Superb food each time”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Glastonbury, Connecticut
“Superb food each time”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We ate @ el eden twice. each time the food was gourmet quality. The owners and staff. attentive, efficient , lovely people.The lobster Risotto ,best I ever had. Fresh snapper superb. The bread pudding ,to die for. I would go back to culebra, just to have it again. I will go back to Culebra again because it is so unspoiled. I will definitely have the bread pudding @ least twice!!! Not to be missed.

new jersey
“Delicous - w/great island atmosphere”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We had to try the lobster risotto because of the other reviews and were not disappointed. It was scrumptious! My only issue with it is that is very rich and, although I just had to finish the whole thing, I would have been better off with having this just as an appetizer. Everything else was excellent.

Boston, MA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lousy”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Why is this place popular? Large portions of crappy food. The atmosphere is about as charming as a broken down gas station. It's extremely expensive and crowded.

“Nothing great...”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My husband and I tried to go when we were in Culebra March '13, but it was closed the night we tried. Remembering the great reviews I had read, we went this past December one night after Christmas. The first night we stopped by, they were busy (it is a very busy time of year for them) and would not seat us or let us wait, so we made a reservation for the next night...again, the reviews were so good, we were looking forward to it!
We started with the mussels (which everyone is raving about in these reviews; they were fine. I would guess that perhaps they came from Costco and were "doctored up" a bit). The salad definitely looked like the mixed greens I buy at Costco. For our main course, my husband had the large lobster which was a bit dry, but it was grilled so that can happen. I had the lobster risotto (because it seems to be their signature dish), but found it to be simply okay. Granted, I live in NJ, near NY, and eat at fine restaurants often so maybe I am simply spoiled, but in my opinion nothing was good enough to warrant the rave reviews I had read. The portion of mussels and risotto were huge, but that does nothing for me; in fact, I left the leftover (more than 1/2 of the risotto) even though I had a kitchen where we were staying. Everything was fine, nothing wonderful.
As for the ambiance, it was kitchy and cute with an island feel. The tables are close together so if you are a table of 2 be prepared to talk to the neighbors because they are 2 inches from you. Our waitress was pleasant and we did not wait too long, nor did we feel rushed. It was nice to have time between courses to have a drink from their bar. I agree with the reviews that they have a nice selection of wine.
The prices are high, and of all the places we went (Bahia Marina, fun Dinghy Dock, Zaco's Tacos of course, simple and delicious Barbara Rosa, the nice new location for Suzie's and El Batey for delicious burgers!) this was by FAR the most expensive (granted the lobster is an expensive entree) and the only place we would not return.
Not sure what all the fuss is, but let's face it, the more people go there, the easier it will be for me to go to the places I like!

• Visited December 2013
Holland, PA
“Great Food, Slow Service”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

On our first visit to Culebra I had the flash fried snapper at El Eden and it was wonderful. So naturally I had it again and it was still great. It's kind of a island favorite and El Eden does it fabulously.
The wine selection is interesting as El Eden runs a retail wine store. You go to the store to pick your wine and pay $5 over retail as a service charge. We were interested in a wine we had never tried before and the owner poured us a small sample before we decided have it with our meal.
The down side of El Eden was the terribly slow service. We weren't all that hungry when we arrived so we didn't order an appetizer. Big mistake: it took almost an hour-and-a-half for our dinner to arrive. We were very hungry by then. So will we go back on our next trip to Culebra? Maybe. The food is good but we'll check out what people are saying about the service before we go.