“Good food...short hours”

Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating
“Good food...short hours”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

I enjoy going to Barbara Rosa to enjoy a nice home cooked meal with some pretty good flavors. When you walk in you order your food at the kitchen counter and then, you can sit down at the balcony of this restaurant. I've tried the crab cakes and the fish and chips...and they're pretty delicious. But, if you plan to go to dinner at 7:30pm or 8pm, you might not find this place open. It opens at 5pm for dinner, but if no one shows up, they close within the hour and you won't be able to taste the delicious food prepared by Rosa.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Marcos F

Berkeley, California
“Personal, fun and great food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

I like quirky places. This is Barbara's home - her cat's - her food - her everything. And it's good!

It isn't fancy but it is nice. You order from a window in the living room and you eat on the front porch (comfortably has maybe 15 tables.)

Visited April 2012
New Haven
“Great home style food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

Love to go to Barbara Rosa's... Really good, simple food... and the dinner are more than reasonably priced... bring you own wine and beer and dine on the porch... and Barbara is delightful...

Visited April 2012
Zanesville, Ohio
“A-Mazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

My husband and I spent 5 nights on Culebra and 3 of those nights were spent on the front porch of Barbara's house. She is an amazingly friendly, upbeat, one-woman show. She takes orders, cooks amazing meals, washes all the dishes, and acts as cashier without even batting an eye. I ordered her fried shrimp every night we ate there simply because I couldn't bring myself to try anything else because the meal was so perfect! My husband ordered her fish and chips one night and the shark nuggets the other two nights and raved about his meals every time. Her portions are more than generous and her prices can't be beat. There is no "You don't have a reservation? I'm sorry but we can't serve you for another two hours" like you get at many of the restaurants on the island. At Barbara Rosa's, it's like having a home cooked meal at your mom's. I would go back to Culebra just for her food!

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank weeone03
Zanesville, OH
“Much better than several restaurants listed above it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

My wife and I spent 5 nights in Culebra - three of those nights, we ate at the wonderful Barbara Rosa's. The atmosphere here is very relaxing... just order your food, have a seat, and watch the locals pass by on the island's main strip. The service was as fast or faster than any of the other restaurants we went to, despite the fact that she alone takes the order, makes the food, does the dishes, makes your bill, and receives your money! Barbara is an extremely friendly ex-pat, and pleasant to talk to. She's very willing to swap out side dishes if you'd choose. The food is excellent, probably the best we've had in our many trips to Puerto Rico. On seperate nights, I had the fish and chips once, and the shark bites twice - I highly recommend both.

Afterwards, consider walking a hundred feet or so down the road towards the airport to grab some ice cream - this place was one of the few Puerto Rican operations that served us with a smile, and the ice cream was very good.

As far as I'm concerned, Barbara Rosa's is the one restaurant on Culebra that you have to go to!

• Visited April 2012