“A whole new vibe!”

El Batey
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Although it used to be more of a local bar joint, it has a new feel to it! My husband and I stopped for lunch - an awesome burger, fries and delicious homemade rum cake! Everything was excellent! Reasonably priced and very friendly! Though we would have loved a beer with the burger, they no longer sell liquor. They have smoothies on the menu, but we did not try them. As others have mentioned, this is not fast food, but who cares! It is nice just sitting there looking across the street at the harbor and watching the people bike and drive by. I would definitely recommend it!

1  Thank Chatham

Reviewed January 20, 2014

When we visited, they were out of hamburgers, chicken, and rice and beans, so there wasn't much left to choose from, though I understand we were on an island and that can happen. Had a side salad for a couple bucks that was tasty (just had to request to have dressing after it was served), and our friends said their fish was pretty great, too. Also, it appears to be a bar, but they don't serve beer or liquor.

1  Thank madisonsunshine
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

The hubby and I came here after going to the Dingy Dock only to find that we had missed lunch by 30 minutes and they weren't opening for dinner for another 2.5 hrs. In addition, the menu looked very touristy.
We came upon El Batey on the way back to our room. We noticed the prices were cheaper and the menu looked pretty good. I order the chuleta kan kan with tostones and my hubby ordered the chillo frito with arroz con habichuelas. Everything was DELISH and totally authentic. I would compare their food to that of my cuña (and she cooks for us with the best ingredients and love). We went back the next day for lunch and shared the bistec encebollado with tostones and an order of the rice and beans again. We loved it. We were so impressed with the food that we even took pics with the cook, Judith, and out bartender/server, Danny. We ordered one of the homemade rum cakes (made with caña) and it was also very good and moist. In our 2 days here, we must have recommended this place to 5 other groups of tourist. If you are looking for authentic, reasonably priced PR food then this is the place. We will most certainly be back the next time we visit Culebra.

BTW--service is slow so don't expect your food to come out quickly. Even their menu states that the restaurant does not serve fast food. Sit back, have a drink and enjoy the atmosphere. You won't regret it.

1  Thank Ttdesanchez
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This place may look a little "iffy" on the outside, but the food is great and the people there are helpful and friendly. My burger was delicious and we were there later in the evening once everything else was shut down and business has slowed, so we got the opportunity to chat with the bartender for a while. Somewhat slow, but even the menu reminds you they are not fast food, they are "island time" food.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Great lunch spot, very good burgers and refreshing coco frios.

I don't recommend eating on the patio as you will get encounter the mosquitos.