“Pleasant enough”

Mamacitas Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #1 of 1 Nightlife in Culebra
More attraction details
Owner description: Caribbean style restaurant open 7 days a week. We specialize in American, Puerto Rican & Seafood.
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I would probably give this a 3.5. The food was good and the drinks nice. For the price one might expect a little more. But all in all, it wasn't bad. I'd recommend the Tin Box as an alternative if you have a car on Vieques.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Went on a Friday night because they advertised that steel bands on Friday and Saturday starting at 7pm. There were no bands at 8:15 when we left.

The place was empty when we got there and only had a few more tables when we left.

It is on the water, but not much of a view, since its on a canal

The food was hit or miss. The fried grouper and chicken mofongo we didnt like, but the shrimp mofongo and cerviche were pretty good. The bushwackers were good

Service was SLOW. Hard to get our servers attention.

We noticed that restaurants are adding 15% gratuity on all bills in Culebra because people were not tipping. Downside is the waitresses dont have any incentive to work for a tip.

Prices were comparable to other restaurants on the island.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

We have spent 4 days in Culebra with the luck to choose Mamacita's on the first day for our lunch. Didn't go anywhere else afterwards (thus have no comparison on the island), we were so satisfied with all the food, the service and the atmosphere.
The stake is the best not only in Puerto Rico but one of the bests we have ever had (that is quite surprising from such a small restaurant!). Also try Mofongo with sea food and all the delicious coctails they have!
Yes, there is a difference in lunch and dinner menu/prices but we didn't regret any penny we spent here.
Keep up the good work and gracias guys for all your kindness, we hope to return some day! :)

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I live on the island of Culebra and I haven't been to the new Mamacitas since the change in ownership. The review is based on my personal experience dining at the restaurant on a Monday night and the food was superb!!! The prices are a little on the high end, but, no more different than many other restaurants on the island. Our dinner for 4 with appetizers, entree, dessert, bottle of wine and other cocktails came to $200.00 (so, not too bad).

We ordered the Ceviche (which was perfectly seasoned and the fish was extremely fresh), lobster croquette (served with a guava sauce) and the jalopeno poppers. All three were very good and the portion was right for the 4 of us. For dinner I ordered the Mahi Mahi with lemon butter and the rice and beans. The rice was perfect and the beans was hearty and delicious. The mahi mahi was flaky and perfectly seasoned. My partner ordered the Yuca mofongo stuffed with shrimp and it was fantastic!!! Our friends ordered the seared tuna with sweet soy glaze and the Ribeye steak. The tuna was seared to perfection and the taste was fantastic. The steak was cooked medium as requested by my other friend.

The bottle of wine (Shiraz from Concha y Toro) was $25.00. The appetizers could be on the cheaper side, but overall, I recommend Mamacitas to anyone visiting Culebra. I'd say my experience tonight was that the food was better than many other places on the island. Go try it out

4  Thank Marcos F
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We like the food and service very much! The price is much better for lunch, but pricey for dinner. The location is great, you can see the ocean canal and boats passing by. They have few vegetarian options. I wish they had whole grain alternatives, like brown rice, whole wheat wraps and pasta.