“Felt like I was at home, in Haiti.”
Review of Hotel Florita

Hotel Florita
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Jacmel
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I am so glad I chose Hotel Florita to stay at in Jacmel. I would love to come back with friends and family so they can see it. As a non French or Creole speaker it was excellent having staff who could speak English. I am a young white America traveling alone and I felt extremely safe here. The hotel is as charming as it appears on the website. Being budget conscious I booked the cheapest room, courtyard. I believe it is the lowest as it’s on the ground level and it first I was somewhat warm despite the portable fan but when I slowed down it was perfect. I had the room closest to the street so I hear all the traffic (10 moto bikes throughout the night). It didn’t bother me too much but check about the other room if you are a light sleeper. The room was very clean and touched up every day. In the evenings the temperature is perfect to fall asleep comfortably. The room had plenty of space. The staff in the bar and restaurant are very accommodating. I had a delicious dinner of grilled fish my first night. I even was served an appetizer plate of interesting vegetables.
After spending only an hour in Port-au-Prince it was a relief coming to Jacmel. Although still bustling, the people are incredibly nice. I walked the entire city and a few blocks at night for dinner and never felt uncomfortable. The men will say hello but it never went farther than that and I always felt safe. There are many historic buildings to explore and markets to wander in.
I took advantage of a free afternoon by going to the Bassin-Bleu (water falls). Because it was rainy we had to take a moto bike instead of a 4x4 car. I don’t ride moto’s at home but I loved this! We never went up to any speed that I’d be very of falling off the bike at. It was about a 45 min ride to the falls then you hike for about 15 minutes. Getting to finally jump into the pools felt so go after the ride and hike.
Advice:
The ride is beautiful. Many photo ops. Wear shoes you don’t mind getting wet in case you have to cross the river. Wear pants you can roll up or just wear a dress or short.
Wear sturdy shoes for the hike. I was in Sperry boat shoes and felt slippery in them once wet. I’ve recommend tennis shoes or the very sturdy hiking sandals.
Wear clothes (or a swimsuit) that you can get wet. For the last waterfall it is best if you swim over to a close viewpoint.
The hotel can arrange a driver for you who will meet you at the hotel. I paid the driver US$25 and the guide at the falls US$16. If you go with a group you could use one guide and pay him slightly more.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank dianedewit
There are newer reviews for Hotel Florita

Reviewed April 8, 2012

I am so happy that my boyfriend and I were able to stay at the Florita a few weekends ago. Joe, the owner, and Jean, the manager, corresponded with me by email to help me with my reservations and transportation arrangements, as I was coming from Port-au-Prince. Without their help, I would have been a little lost trying to figure out a way to get to Jacmel. I really appreciated their help.

The hotel is a classical old hotel in the heart of the old part of Jacmel. My favorite part of the hotel is the bar and lounge area- it's spacious, cool and relaxing. There is free wi-fi as well which makes lounging around more fun after a day at the beach and walking around the town.

We had one of the rooms with two beds. I recommend spending a little more for the rooms upstairs as it is more comfortable and spacious than the cheaper rooms in the courtyard.

I also love the location of the hotel- you can walk everywhere from there. A real bonus was the free ride to any of the beaches nearby-- just talk to Jean and he will arrange a car to take you to the beach and pick you up. Jean also arranged transportation to take us to Bassin Bleu waterfalls- this is a must see place!!! We were the first ones there on a Sunday morning and had the magnificant blue lagoons all to ourselves.

Thanks Florita-- we hope to be back sometime soon!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ValerieDC_12
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Our mission trip ended with a 2 night stay in Jacmel at the Hotel Florita. You feel a bit like stepping back in time with the colonial feel to the hotel but that is all part of the experience. The rooms were unique with the mosquito netting, clean and comfortable with various local pieces of artwork. Unfortunately our shower had no pressure but that was not the case for everyone. The hotel lobby has a long bar with a selection of alcohol. There is plenty of seating for lounging and dining. A continental breakfast was prepared of fresh fruit and toast accompanied by "strong" coffee. There is large lap pool for relaxing and it is currently in the section under repair from the earthquake but it does not affect your time at the pool. Overall I would say the experience at the hotel was satisfactory and you will not be disappointed. Remember you are in Haiti!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank hunkydoreyWoodstock
HotelFlorita_1888, Owner at Hotel Florita, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Trip Advisor,

This was an honest review. We however have fixed the ONE complaint the guest made--low water pressure due to a pump since replaced and usually working fine (just not on that day)

And we apologized and invited them back. With the promise that we would not charge them if they had the same complaint.

I see that a guest can re-review a property in 3 months. How can they amend their initial review when finding the complaint addressed to their satisfaction

Joe Cross

Reviewed March 20, 2012

This intimate hotel in Jacmel is a surprise. Great rooms with original wood floors, four-poster beds with good mosquito nets. Nice staff, a great bar and atmosphere and even a pool. All well maintained. Only drawback was the food needs improving.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed March 20, 2012

My husband and I recently spent two nights at the Florita. Within the context of all the struggles that Haiti has faced, this hotel is really doing a good job. The rooms were unique and comfortable. The meals were fresh and well prepared. The pace of service allows visitors to savour each course. The staff were accommodating and genuinely happy to have us there. The adjacent pool exceeded our expectations. The proximity to the beach was appreciated although the hotel arranged transportation for us to access a private beach about 15 minutes away which was outstanding.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary Anne A
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Wonderful food and service. Gracious staff. Wanted to stay longer.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I didn't get the chance to stay here, but our group had a great meal at their restaurant. Good service, good drinks, and good food. Great atmosphere too. The only downside was when it rains, the front of the restaurant floods. But that's what happens when you visit during a rainy season. We just grabbed a few more drinks and waited it out.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank liminalphase42
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jacmel
Hotel Cyvadier
#3 of 13 in Petionville
Marriott Port-au-Prince Hotel
Marriott Port-au-Prince Hotel
#1 of 20 in Port-au-Prince

Been to Hotel Florita? Share your experiences!