“Amazing Stay at Pestana! Will Return”

Pestana Cayo Coco All Inclusive Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing Stay at Pestana! Will Return”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

My stay at Pestana was incredible. I have absolutely no complaints what-so-ever. The food was good, and the beach and pool area were amazing! The ocean was crystal clear and so shallow. Every single day we were blessed with sunny, hot weather. Only one day it was cloudy and rained but was sunny and hot shortly after.

The entertainment crew were so warm and welcoming and made our stay incredibly fun. My family and I give Nando and Pinky a big thank you for their excellent service and welcoming smiles.

Everyone in the buffet and the A La Carte restaurants greeted us every day with big smiles on their faces. It really made us feel like we were home.

A big thank you also goes out to the maid service in Pestana. We came back to a clean room with different and unique towel decorations.

I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone and anyone. I’ve been to Cuba many times before and would definitely return to this resort!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Victoria G
MarketingCcs, Director General at Pestana Cayo Coco All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear Victoria G:

I appreciate your comments and you will recommend us for other travellers to visit us, I see that you liked the food, the beach with its crystal clear water, the staff in general always smiling and friendly. I'll give your regards to Nando and Pinky, I can see that the cleaning staff and the maid of your room were very efficient during your visit.
Here we are going to wait on a future visit and you can write what you want and we will follow up.

Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Beautiful, new, close to the airport (10-15 min), the staff was amassing, friendly and very helpful! Customer relations staff- amassing!!!!Beautiful beach with many chairs and good bartender walking around all day long. Perfect a la crate restaurants! The only thing we would suggest to improve was a Kids club as it took us 4 days until we were able to find someone there :-) but I am very curtain that it will be improved as the management is very hands on and trying to oversee everything that is possible.
The best coffee at the lobby! They have a doctor on site and she was very nice!
All resort is very compact, everything was very close, we loved it as we were with a little baby. It took us 2 min. to go to the lobby, 2 min. to the restaurants, 2 min. to the beach!!!!!! Everything very close!!!!! We stayed at the Block 2.
It is our 5th trip to Cuba, and this hotel is very good!
I would recommend this resort to everyone!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed at the Block 2 it is great, but if you nap during the day or go to bed early ask for the r...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank OrintaL
MarketingCcs, Director General at Pestana Cayo Coco All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear OrintaL:
I want to thank you for your comments, for highlighting the beauty of the hotel is very compact and nothing is far. You liked the good service and friendly staff. You liked the beach and waiter service we maintain there.
I want to thank you for recommending us and we hope to see you again and give you the same warm smile from us, along with good service

kingston
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We spent 2 weeks at Pestana in March. I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews but I am so happy that we chose to stay there. The resort is new so there is bound to be some tiny problems but they were solved by very pleasant staff and management. The meals were very good in fact we found the buffet as good as any of the a la carte restaurants. The only thing I would change would be the way they manage the beach towels; so much time would be saved if you just paid for your towel by exception meaning if you loose it you pay; not have everybody pay then have to go and collect their refund when you leave. The saving of beach chairs should be addressed but as you know this is a problem at most resorts not just this one. The staff and the resort amenities were certainly very good at this resort and I would not mind recommending this place to friends or family.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank samsladyKingston
Dear samsladyKingston:
I appreciate your positive review of your experience at the hotel, I see that you liked the staff service, and the diligence in solving problems. You liked the food and found this good. About the reserve chairs at the beach we will post signs to avoid it. Towels system works, but we can review it.
Thanks for recommending us and we'd like you to return to the hotel and we will provide the good service you deserve

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2014

A friend & I stayed at the Pestana Resort from April 1st to the 15th. We traveled with Sunwing. Yeah !!!! Great service on the plane but terrible food. Bring a lunch with you! Our Sunwing reps were awesome !

Our 2 week stay is a memorable one due to the commitment and professionalism of the staff. The manager can be seen walking around the resort to ensure the tourists are satisfied and are enjoying there holiday to the maximum. The staff wether it be in the buffet dining area, the A la carte restaurants or at the beach will go out of its way to make you smile, laugh and even dance. By the way ... don't be cheap ... leave a peso or 2 here and there. Spread the wealth ! Whatever you do PLEASE do not leave Loonies or Toonies. These are worthless to them. You can change your Canadian money for convertible pesos at the airport. You have ample time before the bus leaves the airport to take you to your hotel. The hotels can also exchange your Canadian money.

After spending the day soaking in the sun and enjoying the beautiful beach we would return to a clean and creatively decorated room by our chambermaid Zaydalier. She surprised us with different towel decorations every day. If you have room in your suitcase bring, soap, toothpaste, tooth brushes, deodorant, clothes, bows for hair, coffee mugs, ziplock bags or containers, chocolate bars, tennis balls, pens, pencils, sharpeners, crayons, perfume for men and women, face clothes, clothes pins, needles and black or navy thread, Hot Wheel cars, Pokeman cards ...... and the list goes on and on.

The resort is clean, well laid out and well maintained. It takes all of 5-10 minutes to walk around the whole resort. We had a room with a magnificent view of the ocean and took pictures of the setting sun. If you don't mind climbing 45 stairs, 3 times a day, you will enjoy the view of a third floor room. But then you can see the setting sun at the beach.

Word from the wise: if you don't want to pay 20 pesos for your "stolen" towel ..... don't leave it on the chairs at the beach after the nightly show till the next day.

Unfortunately, many tourists reserve chairs at the beach and at the pool and leave these chairs at one area or the other unattended for long periods of time. We had to sit in a more or less shaded area while 6 chairs "in full shade" in front of us stayed empty for 5 hours. HELLO !!!!!! You are not the only ones wanting shade.

Tourists who stayed at the Melia Cayo Coco had strict rules. "Personal belongings left to reserve chairs for more than an hour are removed at the owners risk." I strongly suggest that other resorts follow suit to break this selfish habit some tourists have.

The ladies and gentlemen at the reception and at customer service are at your service 24/7 with a smile even when some tourists are impatient, rude and mouthy. I find this kind of behaviour from tourists unacceptable, disturbing and upsetting. Please be more respectful towards the staff. After all, we are visitors!

Thank you Luis, Danyz, Zaydilier, Yoenia, Amaris, Geisy, Jordan, Yanisbel, Yuyu, Mike (maintenance gentleman) Dennys @ the beach. I'm sure we are forgetting some people. We applaud you and thank you again for the excellent service and most welcoming smiles. It made our trip one that we will never forget.

Things we did and highly recommend:

.... Spend a day at Pilar beach by way of the "Hop On Hop Off" bus for 5 pesos. They have a great restaurant on the spot.

...... 1/2 day excursion to Moron. Smaller version of Havana

Queens of Pestana :0)

Aka. Marjo and Jojo

Room Tip: From what we've seen all rooms are similar. Up to you to decide what floor you want. We were...
1 Thank Jacinthe50
Dear Jacinthe50:
Thank you for recognizing the great work we try to do with the staff to maintain an attitude of service at all times. You appreciated the room and cleaning of the room and the touch gave by the maid with the towels figures. You liked the clean and compact hotel. We are making some signs to avoid making chairs reservations. I will personally give your congratulations to Danyz, Zaydilier, Yoenia, Amaris, Geisy, Jordan, Yanisbel, Yuyu, Mike and Dennys, for being part of a great service.
Thanks for recommending us and know that we exceed your expectations of service, we expect you to return we will wait you with open arms. And as a director I will be attentive to your comments.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2014

just got back 4 days ago
still in the cuba vacation mode
lots of cubans for the first 2 days then just regular tourists
the cubans had a week off from school so thats why there was so may of them there.
the hotel was not full not to many people during the day around the pool
hotel is very nice and very clean.
rooms are well kept good maid service
sandra was amazing as our maid
water was hot and water pressure was good really good.
the beach is nice but don"t run into the ocean upon arrival soon as you enter the ocean
rocks and stones that can do a lot of damage to your feet and legs be very careful
the restaurant meals where good i tried all 3 places
the buffet on the other hand was very poor compared to other 4 star resorts i have stayed at in caya coca
the steam table"s at the buffet for some reason the food was only warm or cold
nothing spicy at all not even hot sauce or onions
they had the hot sauce but you have to ask the right chefs.
the night shows some of the best i have ever seen at a resort.
live singers where great
but by 11 clock that"s it nothing to do no disco to dance the night away.
would i go back yes but they have to do something about the beach and food
i had a good time

1 Thank ukbal
Dear Ukbal66:
Thanks for your comments and we had Cubans and after them was quieter, I see that you like the rooms, water pressure, your maid Sandra, you liked the restaurants, only the buffet that we continue working. and you liked the shows very much.
I appreciate that you write that you would return, and I would ask you that next time you ask for me and we can see what we can do to make you feel good in our hotel.
We will wait for you.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I was there from April 18th to 25th with 3 friends and a 9 month-old baby, and we all had a great time! There were a lot of families with young children, and the place as very family friendly. The personnel was very dedicated and charming. The other vacationers were also very family friendly, which was a big plus!

The beach was amazing (much less rocky than the Memories which is next to the Pestana), and there was always 2 waiters to serve you drinks. I would recommend you bring a mug of some sorts since drinks are served in very small plastic glasses at the beach (to avoid excessive littering). Be aware that some vacationers go to the beach early to reserve deck chairs in the shadows for the whole day, but only to be seen for 30 minutes through the day. I wish the personnel enforced the no reservations policy.

The food was very honest. The buffet had a lot of variety, and the fish and meat grills were a big plus, even if the wait time was quite long at times. The Mediterranean and Creole restaurants were really good. The Italian one was OK. I was disappointed by the beach snack which had only burgers when I tried it.

The activities were OK. The shows were amazing! The lobby was a very nice place to hangout and grab a drink at night, with professional singers and lives bands. One downside is that some activities were cancelled without notice. Aqua gym at the beach was cancelled a couple times due to lack of participants (I guess 3 people was not enough). Zumba was cancelled because the animator was on vacation this week.

I would go back there, and recommend the Pestana if you are looking for a relaxing experience.

1 Thank Nicolas C
MarketingCcs, Director General at Pestana Cayo Coco All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Nicolas C:
I want to thank the comments and know that you enjoyed being with us. you liked the beach waiter service drinks whichit is delivery to your chair, this is nota normal four stars service, you enjoyed the taste of the food in the hotel and a la carte restaurants. I see you enjoyed the animation and I will take care that the activities will be no cancel again.
Thanks for recommending us and for wanting to return to the hotel.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Arrived late after direct flight from Charlottetown, PE. Some people did not get baggage and thus were a little irritated but our foursome all got luggage. I got to sit next to one of the most obnoxious travelers. The only time she would shut up was when she had her tongue in her boyfriends mouth. Over the top drunk and inconsiderate of fellow travellers. These are not issues with the resort but can sometimes put people in a bad mood which can then influence the rest of their trip. Not me! We were quickly served and off to our room and then to the all-night snack bar for a sandwich.
The water to the right of the beach stairs was spectacular and you could walk for miles in the sand and never go past your waist in water depth if you follow the sand bars. The fish are SPECTACULAR! Especially if you bring bread and bananas to get their attention. Dennis never stopped running up and down the beach getting drinks. They only have beer and rum based drinks at the beach bar. I like gin or rye or tequila so was forced to switch. Dennis makes a great rum Mojito so that ended up as my beach drink.
The rooms were nice. There was tremendous water pressure and hot water that never ended. The tubs are a little high and awkward to get in and out of, especially for those with a slight mobility issue.
The drinks and coffee in the lobby were top notch. Tavane, Julio, Michael, Danisleidy and another lady whose name I did not get were great! Orlen and Alberto at customer service fixed anything we needed like extra pillows. Orlen even played me a game of chess! Nando and Pinky kept the entertainment going but were not pushy. If you didn't want to participate, they did not hound. I took about 40 DVD movies to give as gifts. Also took some MP3 players that I picked up at Walmart as they are hard to get in Cuba. Saved them for some of my favorite staff as we were leaving.
The food was good. Better than some other Cuba resorts of the past. Fish cooked fresh, omelettes for breakfast, reasonable selection at "the trough" and the a le cartes were nice. I enjoyed my medium steak at the Mediterranean restaurant. Too bad they don't make salsa or guacamole. Must not be part of the Cuban food culture but they would certainly have all the ingredients.
We always try to make better relationships with the staff. They work long hours and try hard to please. If you ask nice, you usually get. I like Tabasco in my omelette and they always ran to get a bottle!
Our foursome wanted a quiet place to enjoy a drink and have a game of cards in the evenings. That was near impossible. The lobby bar is right next door to the main theater so there was no escaping the noise. You are part of the nightly show weather you want to be or not. Overall the positives outweighed the negatives and we had a pleasant vacation.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gordon W
MarketingCcs, Director General at Pestana Cayo Coco All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear Gordon W:
I want to thank you for your comments about the hotel and that you enjoy your holiday, enjoy the sea, the beach service, the food at all the restaurants. We appreciate the recognition of the work of some employees, I will give them your greetings to Tavane, Julio, Miguel, Danisleidy, Elizabeth, Orlen, Alberto, Dennis, Nando and Pinky.
You mentioned noise at night in the lobby, I recommend going to sit in the snack, it's about no noise and there are several clients for chatting or sharing without the music or the presentation of the show.
I hope to see you on your next visit to our hotel Pestana Cuba Cayo Coco.