Tripadvisor
Post
Inbox
Search
2,717 results
All reviews beer garden seafood piano bar black diamond entertainment staff the japanese a la carte ice cream parlour chicken fries beautiful beach beach restaurant pizza bug spray public relations ocean view quiet pool no see ums
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was our 2nd time at this resort. Didn’t get the room we requested. The rooms are dated and there is nowhere to store your clothes so you live out of your suitcase. Not a biggie but annoying. The beach is beautiful as all beaches in Cayo Coco are. Lots of palapapas and loungers. Our wee k was from Jan, 12 to the 19th. It was extremely windy the entire week and a little on the cooler side. The ocean was cloudy and very cold. We swam in it but not often. We only went to the quiet pool for one day.The loungers there are in good shape but very hard and uncomfortable. The quiet pool bar is staffed by Tammy and she is amazing. Best fruit punch at the whole resort. Orlando at the beach bar is great. Always happy. The grill beside the beach bar was very tasty. They had grilled chicken and pork every day and sometimes grilled potatoes and vegetables. The pizzeria had good pizza too. The Japanese a la carte was by far the best. The Italian was awful. The buffet was not very good. The meat was overcooked and so were the vegetables but not hot. The pasta station was average. There is also a grill station for meat but we never went there. The line up was too long. As someone else said the bread was sometimes ok but often tasted stale. There wasn’t any bacon the entire week we were there. The egg station was good. The drinks were good. Never found any ketchup. Overall we were very disappointed and won’t be going back.

Date of stay: January 2020
General M, General Manager at Hotel Playa Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear mcgrak3:

First of all we would like to thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor, even if you point out negative issues about the hotel, we understand that you have the right to express yourself in the way you want according to your experiences and ways of feeling.

We are very sorry that your stay has not been what you expected or everything that our team would like it to be. We assure you that we pay adequate attention to these issues and corrective measures are being taken to avoid that kind of situation again, however we are happy because everything wasn´t bad, you had plenty good experiences.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Overall we were very happy with our stay. The beach is amazing here. We took walks for over an hour in each direction. If you go early in the morning or late at night you will be completely alone with just the sound of the waves and amazing creatures washed up on the beach. It is absolutely perfect for kids and even though it was very windy when we were there, the wind apparently was stronger everywhere else on the island as this beach is a bit sheltered. For that same reason even with the strong winds the waves were kid friendly every day. Plenty of beach chairs so never had to worry about that and an attendant to help with the chairs. Bring water shoes to explore the small rocky area on the low tide - lots of sea life to see.

There is a kids club which turned out to be supervised time for kids to be left there. It was open some times and closed others during the official opening times. There was also a games room that our kids really enjoyed. Pool, foosball, table tennis, checkers, dominos. Also a large chess set that was a huge hit.

Staff are polite and pleasant. We do not dink, but were told that Tammy at the kids pool is the best bar tender around.

The food was amazing during the week we stayed there. We also stayed at this resort 6 years ago and fresh fruit/vegetables were hard to come by. In comparison and overall the food this time around was awesome if on the salty side. Lot's of different choices - salads and vegetables (bring your own favorite dressing to make the most of it as the buffet offers mostly various oils).My husband eats gluten-free and dairy free and he had no trouble finding things he loved and enjoyed. Me and my sons loved the Cuban bread and cheese (presumably imported). There was a pancake, omelette and smoothie stations in the morning supplemented with buffet with meats, potatoes, rice etc. Lunch and dinner offered fresh pasta, meat and fish stations. Always plenty of fruit (papaya, guava, watermelon, pineapple and grapefruit most often), fresh juice and choices for hot foods. Maybe we just got lucky and there was some kind of inspection at the resort at that time but we loved the food.

Our biggest disappointment came on our last day when the hotel insisted we pay for 4 beach towels which we had never received. The maid insisted that she had left them for us even though we never got any beach towels. We had never inquired after them since we had brought our own towels and did not want to waste time on anything that was not absolutely necessary. So if you go, I suggest to count everything in the room and get your maid to sign it or make sure this is acknowledged in some way. As it was my husband spent over 2 hours trying to check out, was threatened by security, basically was told that we are lying and have stolen towels and will not be leaving until we pay for them (and acknowledge that we stole them)! Nothing seemed to help. Public relations rep had good grasp on english and broke into tears at one point. She kept going to see her manager and coming back with "I understand sir, but you have to pay" When I got involved there was by now another family with a similar issue and when all was said and done it was clear that many families did not get the towels or got 2/3 instead of four and some were being charged, some were not - kind of random. We had two other families who had been on the beach with us numerous times testify that we never ever had blue towels. But maid kept saying that we got them and she even went as far as to say that she saw them drying around our room! I do not know why she was lying. We did leave tips and a gift every day and a bigger tip for the last two days. Next time I might consider not giving any tips until the last day - just to make sure there is no such scam happening. Long story short - for whatever reason they have no system to account for things like beach towels and you do not want to be in our position on your last day. Air Canada Rep just said "You would be surprised how many tourists steal towels" Really?!

The other things to consider - very slow check-in process (took over an hour for less than 10 families to check in) and excruciatingly long lineups at the Cayo Coco airport (took us almost 2 hours to drop off our bags and go through the security). The Toronto airport in comparison took 15-25 minutes both ways!

Our room was in Bungalow 6 and it is a good location: reduced noise from entertainment as it is behind the main stage and very close to the beach, also play ground and the kids pool is visible from the room. Room was large with 2 double beds and 1 sofabed, balcony. Air conditioner and safe were in working order. So lot's of positives. However very strong overpowering smell of mold and/or mildew (travellers form some other bungalows did not feel any smell so I presume it is only in some buildings). From other families who did complain we understood that resort had no free rooms to switch to and only option was to switch resorts which we were not willing to consider and just made do. There was a water leak from the ceiling and no one came to fix it that we know of. The leak stopped after a day. The toilets apparently overflow occasionally on the main floor but we were fine on the second floor. The maid made our beds every day with the same linens and there was only one day when we came to a beautifully arranged blanket in our room. In comparison 6 years ago every day there was a pleasant surprise - a swan made out of fresh new set of sheets etc. Often we had sand on our "freshly made" sheets. I suspect we just got really unlucky with the maid.

We only saw entertainment 3 of the nights and it was good. There were a few mosquitoes but nothing to complain about. We saw yoga classes in the morning but did not take them so can not comment on that.

Overall - if the beach time is more important to you than the room cleanliness, if your kids are happy to entertain themselves and you are looking for a safe resort I would recommend Playa Coco as a great choice. Bring your own pillows so you do not have to sleep on the mildew and make sure you do not fall for the "towel extortion experience".

Room tip: Bungalow 6 is in a great location but you will have to be ok with mildew/mold in your room, bad room service Jan 9-16, 2020.

Dear Aijucis:

First of all we would like to thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor, even if you point out negative issues about the hotel and even though we do not agree with you in several aspects, but I understand that you have the right to express yourself in the way you want according to your experiences and ways of feeling.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed here from Jan 12 -19, 2020.

Based on some of the reviews we were expecting that we might be dropped off in the middle of a jungle and left to fend for ourselves.

And there are many other reviews from first time contributors that you have to wonder if they are fake. So I decided to access my Trip Advisor account for the first time in 10 years to try and give a fair and balanced review.

I'll note that we don't need to be catered to and many of our vacations are to cottages so we are used to a little bit of taking care of ourselves. That said, we really didn't have to do much

Fortunately, we found our stay to be comfortable and enjoyable. It bordered on average to very good and we'd probably give it a 3.5 if that was possible.

There were certainly some pros and cons but overall we found it to be a nice place with all the essentials.

Our Room
We were on the first floor of building 4
- our maid service was excellent
- the air conditioning worked, but not as well as we'd like
- the water was never as hot as we'd like, but it was warm enough to have a shower
- the bed was comfortable
- the remote control didn't work
- one light switch didn't work properly
- we had a safe that worked perfectly
- all the doors locked properly
- we had a nice view of the beach
- the toilet didnt flush once - a little inspection of the holding tank revealed the problem and it worked just fine the rest of the week
- once our key card didn't work a couple of times - it flashed red for 30 seconds while I swore because I didn't want to go up front. I then tried the key a second time and it worked in both instances.

The beach
- it was pretty windy most days but we did get some beach time in
- it is a nice beach. We prefer the beach in Cayo Largo
- the loungers were plentiful and comfortable
- there were plenty of sun shelters available
- there were constant activities available
- the water is quite shallow
- the beach bar was quite convenient

The pool
- due the windy days at the beach we spent more time at the pool
- the pool was cold but refreshing
- there were lots of loungers available
- we received good service at the pool bar
- there was loud music at the pool but we sat near either end and found it wasn't bad
- the sun shone on us much of the time

Ice Bar (often referred to as the Gin Bar)
- very friendly service as mentioned
- plenty of drinks to choose from (Gin, Tequila or Vodka mixes)
- we found there was little air circulation and too hot

Lobby bar
- quite comfortable
- there was a piano player in a couple of nights
- wide variety of drinks available
- somewhat slower service

Beer Bar
- only beer or mixed drinks with beer are served
- very comfortable
- The TV either had sports or music (classic rock / pop) channels
- air conditioned

- we survived ;-)
- the buffet was ok - received good service, found food to eat at each meal (ie eggs / omelettes for breakfast, grilled fish/pork/beef for lunch and dinner, pasta for lunch and dinner, plenty of fruit and veggies, bread was good some days, hard as a rock on others, lots of deserts, some options in the buffet that were a mystery)
- ..... you get the idea?

The Japanese restaurant was fun and tasty. Basically you watch someone make a stir fry

The pizza bar was fine. I didn't love the pizza

Ice cream hut - tasty and plentiful ice cream

Snack Bar - There was always food and drink available at the snack bar. Went at all hours of the day and night and got good service and decent snacks. Note that the snack bar was not where it is shown on the resort issued map. It is by the beach bar.

BUGS - we had 2 or 3 bites during the week. Maybe the wind blew them away

Shows - there was a show every night.

Activities - there were activities at the pool, at the beach, at the kids club, and there was a softball game - "Cubans vs the world"

Some CONS

Pool towels - we had to ask for pool towels and kept the same ones all week. We also brought our own

Toilet paper - the public washrooms were chronically short on toilet paper and hand towels. This made us wonder if staff have adequate hand washing facilities.

Snack bar ladies room - absolutely disgusting. Smelled terribly. The management needs to understand that public restroom conditions are often how Canadians judge establishments

It is dark at night - bring a flashlight if you will be out later in the evening. I nearly fell my first night there and my ankle has been sore.

Food was so so.

Tennis courts are in total disrepair. I love playing tennis and would not even have a casual rally on these courts. I'm guessing that the hurricane wrecked them and it hasn't been a priority.

Hope this helps!

1  Thank niagara-azores

Dear niagara-azores:

Thank you very much for your comments on Trip Advisor, these help us improve our service and allow other customers to know our installation from your perspective.
I hope we can count on your presence again.

Sincerely

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It's an ok resort for what I paid. The rooms are getting run down and smell like mold. The roof in our bathroom was leaking as well as under the sink. I addressed this to the staff but they said don't worry we'll get to it when we can. The buffet was kind of rough other than omelets for breakfast and fish for the other 2 meals good luck. The Japanese restaurant was the best meal we had at the resort. The entertainment staff however where friendly as hell and put on a good show most evenings. They're pretty limited with the amount of activities at the resort but the staff try to do what they can with what they have. If you're looking for a cheap trip some where warm it's not bad but it's one of those places you get what you pay for.

Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear 481justinll:

We are very sorry that your stay has not been what you expected or everything that our team would like it to be. We assure you that we pay adequate attention to these issues and corrective measures are being taken to avoid that kind of situation again. We apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

The staff throughout is very friendly ... but as titled .. they just don't care about you ... regardless of how you tip ... it's just a job to them ...they will do their job at a bare minimum... got to the point where I refused to tip anyone... so many minor issues just grew and grew until I could not wait to leave by the 4th day ... stayed for a week ...I know these are minor... but one issue just built onto another issue until I could not stand it anymore...
TV remote did not work ... their solution was NOT to FIX it... but rather move us to a different hotel !! REALLY !!! they did not want to address a minor complaint... they don't care ....after 3 days, our Air Canada rep was able to resolve....
I accidentally spilled cola on an empty chair beside me ... I asked the waitress to borrow her dish rag to clean it up... NO she said , the rag is only for the table top... is not to be used on a chair...she did not care if some other patron sat on a chair wet with cola... speaking of waitresses ... they have developed the refining the fine art of turning their heads away.. sorry I did not see you .... 35 minutes for a coffee ....REALLY ... !
Toilet paper in the public washrooms is a luxury ... not even an option... and forget about any paper towels to dry your hands... just never existed anywhere for the entire week....
Towels in our room ... OMG ... could not get anything bigger than a hand towel for bathing / shower ..... speaking of the room ... awful maid service ... ( we were in 9 block) the bathroom floor never saw the day break of a broom or mop... revealed on day 1 when I spotted hair balls behind the door...still there when we left... maid service was so bad, this was my first trip where I actually brought gifts for the maid back home with me. but hey, she did great blanket art....
You will read a lot of glowing reports on this place from other travellers ...but trust me if you are any sort of a seasoned traveller, don't believe it. What I found was many repeat patrons at the resort. When questioned they admitted they never been to any other resort and really did not know what to expect other than this poor service, chalking it to only being Cuba. Well folks, let me tell you.. I have been to Cuba approx. 30 times, all around the island... 3 star resorts in Santa Lucia were far more superior. And that is literally scraping the bottom of the barrel for low cost vacations in Cuba. ...
Many travellers have said the food in Cuba is awful. I beg to differ... however, the food at this resort is the pinnacle to change a myth into reality.... buffet... repeat of awful everyday. so bad I could not stomach anything other than the soup... Italian al a carte.. ordered the veal... the sole of my shoe was more tender... the pizzeria was ok if you like raw dough.. the hamburger joint would have been better if they picked up road kill... had same texture.... but with all this negative comments.. I will admit that they do any awesome pig on the spit for lunch. Fantastic !!! it was the only bright spot !
Beach ... what can I say ... wonderful... but then, almost everywhere in Cuba has awesome beach...
Overall.. if you are a first time traveller to Cuba.. look elsewhere, otherwise you may be disappointed and never want to return to an absolutely wonderful country,,,, Cuba is a glorious country with so much rich culture and heritage to explore, and that I will return again and again.. just not this place. My suggestions.. If you want beach only with nothing else.. then search out Cayo Largo... If you want beach with off resort excursions... then search out Varadero... if you want culture,, then Havana is the place, where you will find a ton of activities with absolute FANTASTIC food.... Just don't bother with this particular resort...take it off your radar,, because THEY DON'T CARE !

Room tip: look else where
4  Thank Tom H

Dear Tom H:

We are very sorry that your stay has not been what you expected or everything that our team would like it to be. However, we do not consider it correct to accuse us unfairly. Our work team is very professional and is characterized by its hard work and god service. We assure you that we pay adequate attention to these issues and corrective measures are being taken to avoid that kind of situation again. We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced during your stay.