“Great holiday once again”
Review of Hotel Playa Coco

Hotel Playa Coco
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed at the Playa Coco for the second time January 20 - 27 2014. Our flight arrived on time even though we were late leaving due to deicing. When we arrived at the hotel out check in was quick and the girls did everything they could to accommodate us. We were able to get our room early which was a pleasant surprise. We stayed in the yellow building on the 2nd floor. Our room was clean. Our safe was locked when we arrived but a call to the front desk and a few minutes later a maintenance tech came and opened it for us. Our maid did a wonderful job cleaning our room and left beautiful towel art for us.

The food at the buffet was interesting. We like to try different things. We could always find something to eat. It would be nice if the food was hotter. Service was always prompt and with a smile.

The beach grill was great! Always fresh and tasty!

The Italian a la carte was the best! The food was wonderful as was the service.

The pizza at the beach restaurant was very tasty. I felt bad for the one waiter trying to serve the whole restaurant. He did his best and with a smile.
The staff at the pool bar make the best pina colodas with shaved ice!
The cappuccino at the lobby bar was the best.
Through our travel agent Danay we were able to arrange a private jeep tour. Our driver was the best. He spoke very good English and took us to areas in the country we would never be able to see on a bus tour. We found out that the airline would allow us to bring 20 kg each of humanitarian aid like toothpaste, soap, clothes, hats, balls which we were able to hand out on our trip. We felt like we really got to see how the Cuban people really live.

All the staff did a wonderful job making our holiday a pleasant one.

Our only complaint would be that it just was not long enough!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank CMouflier
Hiram V, General Manager at Hotel Playa Coco, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Dear CMouflier,
I wanted to extend my appreciation to you for reviewing your recent stay in our hotel and for regarding it as great. On behalf of the staff members and Management, receive our gratitude for all the sincerity in your comment. Thank you so much again.
See you soon,

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Stayed Jan 23-Feb06 with husband and sister-in-law. Overall first impression of resort was very nice. We are not new to all inclusive vacations so we knew what to expect but... this vacation was not without incidents.
The good stuff first.. Some of the staff were amazing but it took a bit of warming up at first. The staff at the beer garden were fantastic, Ruby was a sweetie and Gervell (not sure how he spells it) was such a cutie. Giovanni at the aquabar was also amazing. Unfortunately did not ever get the name of the girl, but she was a hoot and several other cute guys too were sweet. The buffet food was better than expected (see my review of Varadaro) and my favourite a la carte the Japanese (but some of the ladies could learn to smile). I must say, they sure have their quota of cute staff. However...
the bad stuff. We stayed in the pink building #6. Great location to everything, btw. We had a room next to each other. My sister-in-law seems to have had more luck with her room than we did. Our room was a disaster. First off, the two lights in the bathroom above the sink area were missing. We reported it almost immediately and for the next 5 days.. every day reported them still missing. I think they must have came and replaced the main light because it was a different light glow. Finally had to take a picture of the missing bulbs to show the front desk what we were talking about. The air conditioning didn't work we ll if it did at all. Reported that several times too. There was also water leaking from it. A maid came in to give towels and saw the mess and reported it after we tried our best to tell her of the air conditioner. Finally they sent someone to fix it (during the 2nd week) but it still wasn't fixed properly.
The safe in the room was dead so we reported that too. Someone came, said it needed a new battery, said he'd be back but then two days later, we finally got the safe to work.. sort of. The first day we had two towels, two hand towels but the hand towels disappeared the next day, never to be seen again. Getting fresh towels was a difficult task as well. We had to call practically every night to get some fresh towels sent. As I mentioned, we are seasoned travellers and know we don't get fresh towels every day, but there was many times, we had only one bath towel and a damp one at best. There was one night my husband called to the front desk to ask for fresh towels and he kept getting put on hold. Now, he's a very patient man, but he blew a gasket yelling each time he had to call back because they kept hanging up on him. This went on for about 10 minutes before he finally got transferred to customer relations. This is where the above mention maid saw the water leak.
It got to the point where we had to take towels from the cart and hide them. I'm not even going to comment on the cleanliness of the rooms or lack thereof.
Notice the title of my review? The other major disappointment was the washrooms at the beach restaurant. was a soap dispenser but no hand dryer. Seriously... this is next to a restaurant and nothing to dry your hands with? I'm not even going to think about the cooks in the kitchen next door. You do the math. The service in that restaurant was very, very slow.. Found out there was some drama going on in the kitchen involving the cook. Management must of got wind of it because things seemed to improve a few days later. Meanwhile back at the buffet.. things are moving quite slowly. The cooking station(s) seem to be half working because the line up waiting. We like to have a fresh omelet for breakfast, but it got to the point where I just went for the prepared foods because I couldn't cope with the waiting times. One of the good thing, there was bacon everyday (a big plus for me). You can pretty much get a feel about the rest of the place by the other reviews, because frankly I could go on but I'm too exhausted to relive this experience again. I will say that on the last day, checkout time is noon, our bus pickup was 15:30 and there was a letter in our room saying due to the difficulties we had, they allowed us to keep the room free of charge until 14:00.
The likelihood of a return visit. Nil which is a shame because we like Cuba and its people, but it pretty much ends this is not one of our better vacations.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank KyleYVR
Hiram V, General Manager at Hotel Playa Coco, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Dear KyleYVR,
Thank you so much for stating your opinuons and experiences while on vacation in Playa Coco Hotel, I really appreciate that you have taken a minute of your time to do so. I need you to know that I feel you have been honest and in no way exagerating, though I desagree with some of the items you have mentioned. Anyways, I would like to say thank you for spending your holidays here and for writting your comments on TripAdvisor.
Regards,
Hiram valle Simon
Playa Coco Hotel

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Fantastic beach. Old complex, but very clean. Good food at the buffet. Japanese and italian restaurants not worth the deplacement. Very friendly and professionnal staff, except the young ladies at the registration desk who could be more welcoming. Rooms in building 2000 need a serious upgrading. Mildiew on the cushions of the chairs and in the bathroom, bad odour, double size blankets on a king size bed, no hot water. Air conditionning useless as à deshumidifier. Clean and confortable bar and public space. Written info about the hotel services would hâve been appreciated upon arrival.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Hola Christiane M,
It was a real pleasure to read your review commenting on well you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. Sorry for the inconveniences you had and thank you for the suggestions you made. We all will be very happy to welcome you once again whenever you decide to return.
Best regards,

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Stayed there for a week ending Feb 6 2014. The beach was beautiful and mostly all sandy although I did end up with a lot of leg bites from either sand fleas or mosquitoes, not sure which. I am still itching. To get a front row palapa we would come out at 645 am and place t shirts over the loungers to reserve. There was a hut where they had fresh coconuts which were great and yummy but their open hours were inconsistent as was the towel shack where you could get new towels. The closest beach bathroom was attached to the seafood restaurant and that bathroom was terrible. No mirror, no soap, often no tp and stunk. Cuba has bad plumbing and I was told paper so restricted no locals use tp, but the resorts have a thin brown version of tp. You are supposed to only use tp for pooping and otherwise you wipe and then place paper in the wastebasket beside each toilet. Yes, really. Down the beach a bit was free (tips) snorkel equipment and single person kayaks and I think the hotel also had fishing rods for use. Some people fished and then gave it to the grill guys to gut and cook for them. The grill at the pool made pretty decent burgers and fries. The hot dogs were strange but tasted not too bad. Quite possibly the best food was from that grill but it closed about 5. Giovanni at the poolside bar made the best drinks and was a very amiable fellow. He had a garden of mint right at the bar that he picked from for the Mohitos. The pool was about 5 feet at the deepest part and surprisingly cold, like the ocean was warmer. It was great swimming in the ocean and I have difficulty walking and balancing but was still able to walk into the ocean ok. The buffet was nicely decorated. Feral cats hung around outside for scraps and kindly feeders and were the only animals I didn't see lots of ribs on. The food in the actual Buffett part was definitely mediocre or worse, but there were separate grills that were good, but sometimes the lineups were long. Go early or late. At breakfast there was an omelette line and at dinner a fish line where you selected your choice of very fresh fish and they grilled it. At lunch we did the poolside burgers. I don't generally like fish but I enjoyed this and ate it every dinner. Their beef and chicken was unpalatable and tough as old leather. It didn't help that they overlooked everything though, even the lobster at the special Seafood Restaurant. The Japanese restaurant was good btw. Desserts were scarce and weird but best was a banana grilled with butter and rum at the dessert station so another lineup. The bread was just white but it tasted really good and their brothy gross coloured soups tasted yummy! Another lineup. We would have one of us stand in each line and then get food for all of us. I also liked the dairy products like yogurt drink and milk and cheeses, most of them anyway. So out of the huge buffet you soon found a few things you liked and stuck with them. Several people brought peanut butter jars and by the end of a week I was almost begging them for some. Lol the rooms......very old and maybe clean but it was hard to tell as tables were badly stained and the cushions on the wicker furniture were stained as well as mouldy. As soon as I entered the room the mildew smell hit you. Due to being allergic to mould and having read a mould review here before we went I emailed the hotel and requested a room not mouldy but I doubt they actually exist. Some evenings it poured during the night- like build an arc poured- and at all times the humidity was very high. Perhaps mould is a common place thing. The beds were very hard but actually not too bad for comfort except there was no mattress cover and the thin sheet was short so was always coming lose and so you end up sleeping partly on the bare mattress which I assume a thousand people before you have also done. The room gave me the creeps and I couldn't sleep due to it as it just felt so dirty and buggy.Our daughter and son in law were in another room and in talking to people it seems all rooms were different and no one got a perfect one. For Some people ALL the electric outlets in the room did not work but they had small towels as well as large. Hot water was on or off, anyone's guess. A small piece of obvious garbage sat on the bathroom counter for the entire week, never being cleaned off.the hair dryer didn't work too bad. During one heavy night rainfall the electricity went off for just a few moments but scared the daylights out of me. Oh also a flashlight is very handy at night as the resort is large and spread out and the lighting on the walkways is very poor. But it's very safe. Tipping expectations were over the top and we spent about $400 just in tips, but to be honest once I discovered the life these locals lived and the poverty and the importance of those tips, I didn't begrudge them and in the end left half my suitcase in clothes there. The staff are amazing and awesome. They each have different levels of Eng.ish or French from none to pretty good but mostly not much. Many of them are very educated and were teachers or professors but due to the tips they make more money in tourism even though after the government takes their various parts of it they do not end up with much of your tip. Maybe gifts are better for them as they can keep all their gifts. Or maybe a combo. We tipped a peso or two pretty much for everything. There is a lot of wild animals that we normally have as domestic a d one morning while sitting on the beach two wild horses came flying along the sand not ten feet from us. Another time a band of homeless dogs came by, very skittish and bony and looking for food. Not friendly to humans though. I love dogs and I found this very difficult especially seeing them in our excusrion to the city of Moron. Rum in the gift shop was like 3 pesos for a Mickey. Bottom line laying on the beach drinking coconut water and rum drinks was wonderful and the staff were all great, but we will not return again. I have found a way to send some stuff to help a few people but my heart was breaking for these people and the animals, and the ghetto feel of the rooms are things I don't want on future vacations. Btw they have no novels in Cuba that are Spanish speaking, just history, political and educational books so if you have an y spanish story telling books for kids or adults they would like them. The lady that entertains the children, her name is Alaina I think, something like that, she loves to read so I left my English novel with her and she will persevere through that. Shes a lovely person and very educated and speaks English quite well. The main entertainer is Carlos and he is hilarious and very good at his job. The piano players really good even with that broken key. I did feel like a bit of a minority due to the incredible number of French Canadians there and who knew they all smoked? Lol if you are a non smoker that can be problematic. If you smoke you will be in your glory as you can smoke anywhere and everyone does. Lots of kids there perhaps because the beach is shallow for so long it is a safe place for kids to play. I have really tried to be objective in this review. I am a young senior though so I may be biased as at this point in my life I prefer the upscale life of a cruise rather than what I see here as squalor, but depending what the person is used to and their age hence tolerance lol it may not bother others as much. If you are borderline at the resort do not go to Moron. Lol before we left on this vacation I read so many reviews and just ended up confused and with more questions so I wanted to try to make a very objective review now and hope this helps someone else. If I can answer more questions please ask.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
8  Thank K8typi

Dear K8typi,
It is always pleasing to receive feedback from our customers which not only tell us how well they have spent their vacations here but also comment on what should be fixed. I think it is very objective and sincere, we are working on the issues you remarked. Thank you so much on the Management and staff.
Warmest regards,

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Excellent Beach, rooms are outdated,, beds are worst, toilets are not working properly. Service staffs are very slow. Blue water, coral fishes, white sand, good swimming pools, worst disco and good shows.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Thanahanthan M

Dear Thanahanthan M,
On behalf of the Hotel Management and staff I want to thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your vacations and for your appreciations in this review. I’m sorry for the inconveniences you had during your stay. We work really hard as a family to make this hotel succeed and we are open to suggestions, so it is rewarding that guests take a moment to post their remarks on this site so that other travelers can see what we are about.
Best regards,

Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

Definitely not a 4 star. The beach however is amazing ! Lots of fish and coral if you want to scuba a bit. Water is clear. Rooms are clean but not anything extra. The food... well that's the worst aspect... staff is super friendly. However we would not return ...

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Vannee08

Dear Vannee08,
Thank you for your review and for the good remarks on our staff. It is a shame we didn’t meet your expectations but one thong you should know is that we work hard everyday to please our guests..

Reviewed February 3, 2014

This hotel is absolutely not a 4.5 star , more like a 2 star. The buffet, only has a half of one grill working , expect to wait a long time for anything cooked. 45 minutes just for an egg. The pool bar closes at 5pm....are you kidding. They advertise activites for teens- pool tables , game room. Nope. Two pool tables locked in a disco that doesn't open until 11 . One is broken, only one pool cue for the other. Oh and never any people - even a bartender in this disco. No towel service . Changed our towels, once at front desk after complaining. Towel hut, never open. We read to stay in yellow building , its the best , ocean views updated. AIr conditioning didn't work well in our kids adjoining room. Toilet was broken and couldn't open sliding door to balcony. They never give enough towels.....no hand towels or face cloths. Very run down. Night shows brief and not very good.....and then there is zero to do from ten o clock on. Beach is beautiful......but a ton of biting bugs because there is a marsh/ swamp right next in the middle of the resort. Mini-golf so run down you can not play.....get ready to entertain your kids because unless they are 5 and under there is nothing for older children and teens, FYI the paddle boats etc. are so far down the beach shared with another hotel. We went with friends who have been to cuba 5- 6 times....this was the worst place they ever stayed.

Room Tip: pick a different hotel